Reds Minor Leagues 2015

Suarez, Rodriguez, and Selsky are 3 bats in AAA that it may be almost time to see what they can do at the big league level.

It's draft day. Reds have the 11th pick. For anyone interested in watching coverage begins at 6 pm EST on the MLB Network.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no reason for Suarez not to be on the big club. The problem is finding him regular playing time. Hopefully the Reds can work out a trade for Cozart or Phillips and then bring him up. Rodriguez is way closer to Marlon Byrd than Skip is, if the Reds were really wanting to try to replace Byrds production Rodriguez would be brought up and he should be. Especially since Winker isn't quite hot enough right now to be brought up.

Most Recent Mock Drafts

Kiley McDaniel – Fangraphs | June 5th | Has the Reds selecting Ian Happ, an outfielder from the University of Cincinnati.

Jim Callis – MLB.com | June 5th | Has the Reds selecting Tyler Stephenson, a catcher from Kennesaw Mountain High School in Georgia.

John Manuel – Baseball America | June 5th | Has the Reds selecting Andrew Benintendi, an outfielder from Cincinnati that plays at Arkansas.

Keith Law – ESPN | June 4th | Has the Reds selecting Garrett Whitley, an outfielder from Niskayuna High School in New York.

I'm hoping for Stephenson, Benintendi or Cameron. I'd be happy with any of the three. The earliest the Reds look to contend again is 2017, Benintendi could maybe move thru the system to be apart of that.

I'm hoping for Stephenson, Benintendi or Cameron. I'd be happy with any of the three. The earliest the Reds look to contend again is 2017, Benintendi could maybe move thru the system to be apart of that.

FWIW, the two mocks I've seen from this morning have them selecting Kyle Tucker (Sports Illustrated) and Cameron (Bleacher Report).

FWIW, the two mocks I've seen from this morning have them selecting Kyle Tucker (Sports Illustrated) and Cameron (Bleacher Report).

I'd be more than happy with Tucker. Never thought he'd fall to the Reds. From what I hear he might have the best hit tools in the class and is a future #3 hitter. Future Right Fielder. I know his brother is handling himself pretty well for the Astros. His scouting report reminds me some what of what was being said about Jay Bruce coming out of High School.

I like the future idea of having Winker in left and Tucker in right, two lefties with pop (although Winker isn't showing it yet this season).

With the 11th overall pick in the 1st Round the Reds took Tyler Stephenson. High School Catcher out of Georgia. Has the power and athleticism to move to a corner position later on if need be. Maybe the most high upside pick in the entire draft which is huge in an overall week draft. He had been linked at least somewhat to the Diamonbacks as the #1 overall pick. MLB comp is Matt Weiters, most scouts think he has the chance to be an All Star caliber backstop.

Scouts have bemoaned the lack of catching in this Draft, so Stephenson's emergence this spring qualifies as a pleasant surprise. Some evaluators liked him more as a pitcher last summer -- he has a 90-mph fastball and a hard slider -- but now he's the consensus best backstop available and a dark-horse candidate to go No. 1 overall to the Diamondbacks. Clearly a better defender than Betts, Stephenson is quite advanced for a high schooler. His strong hands and arm translate into quality receiving and throwing skills, and he has surprising agility for a 6-foot-4, 210-pounder. Stephenson's combination of strength, bat speed and loft in his right-handed swing translate into huge raw power. There are some concerns about his ability to make contact against pro-level pitching, however, because his swing can get long. His frame and skills remind scouts of Matt Wieters, and Stephenson will follow his path to Georgia Tech if he doesn't turn pro.

With the 49th overall pick in the 2nd round the Reds select HS pitcher Antonio Santillan. Another really high upside pick that can really bring it on the mound. Maybe the best stuff of any HS pitcher in the draft, just needs to learn to harness it. The words future ace in his scouting report below says it all. I wanted bats but this pick is a nice one.

The MVP of the 2014 Connie Mack World Series, Santillan hit a key two-run double and pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings to win the championship game. He has the most electric arm in Texas this spring but showed little feel for harnessing it until late in the season. The Texas Tech recruit has a strong 6-foot-3, 240-pound frame and a very quick arm, and when he keeps his mechanics under control he looks like a future ace. Santillan can work at 93-95 mph fastball and hit 98, with some late life when he keeps it down in the zone. His curveball can be a true 12-to-6 hammer and reach the mid-80s. The problem is that Santillan can't hold his delivery together, often flying open and overthrowing. That causes his fastball to straighten out and his curve to lose its shape, and prevents him from keeping either pitch near the strike zone. He has yet to show much aptitude for throwing a changeup.

The Cincinnati Reds 2nd round Lottery B selection is RHP Tanner Rainey out of West Alabama.

The first college player selected by the Reds is from a Division II school. The Reds went with another arm strength guy here. He was a two way player in college, but is expected to be a pitcher as a professional.

Scouting Report

He pitched out of the bullpen in college where he used an above-average fastball and above-average slider. Rainey is a big guy, listed at 6′ 3″ and 235 lbs and some scouts think that he’s got a chance to make a transition to the rotation. The Reds have gone this route with players in the past and it’s a Chris Buckley special that he seems to go with a true reliever to possible starter move every few seasons. He doesn’t have a change up at this point in time that he’s thrown in games, but he does have one that he will show during bullpen sessions that could help out if he is transitioned to a starting pitcher. With a fastball that sits in the mid 90’s and touches 97 to go with a plus slider, he could move quickly as a reliever as long as his control remains solid. His mechanics are reportedly clean and he tends to repeat them.

He’s a senior, so he should save some money on his signing bonus, but he wasn’t a big overdraft either, ranking at the back-end of some Top 100 draft boards.

In last night action Yorman went 1-2 with a SB.

Jesse Winker went 3-4 with a walk, steal and a home run (3).

Good to see Winker coming around.

.318 over his last 10 games...

OBP for the year is still .351 which I like to see.

Good to see Winker coming around.

.318 over his last 10 games...

OBP for the year is still .351 which I like to see.

Think we'll be seeing both Winker and Waldrop at Louisville in the very near future. Maybe even Stephenson and Sampson if they keep up their recent dominance.