Grand Jury indicts the 6 Freddie Gray officers

He didn't say that at all...

That is what should happen in almost every case. Present it to the jury and see what happens. The American public is tired of the thin blue line always defending their own. If it was justified let it be presented to a jury.

If it was justified, let it be presented to a jury...

How do you read that?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was justified, let it be presented to a jury...

How do you read that?

"Let it be presented to a jury" and "you want them to go to jail even if they're innocent" are not even close to the same thing....

"Let it be presented to a jury" and "you want them to go to jail even if they're innocent" are not even close to the same thing....

How do you think things go to a jury?

People are charged, and arrested.

He did not say grand jury.

And that is exactly how it should be, IMO.

So we should do that for every citizen, even though the overwhelming evidence shows it is cut and dry they are innocent?

Police are citizens too. Protected by the Constitution.

So we should do that for every citizen, even though the overwhelming evidence shows it is cut and dry they are innocent?

Police are citizens too. Protected by the Constitution.

Are you implying that police and "every citizen" should be held to the same standards?

Are you implying that police and "every citizen" should be held to the same standards?

Constitutional protections apply to all citizens. Don't try to twist what I said.

Are you implying the Constitution should not apply to them?

Constitutional protections apply to all citizens. Don't try to twist what I said.

Are you implying the Constitution should not apply to them?

I wasn't trying to twist your words.

Forgive me, as I am no expert on the Constitution. What constitutional rights would be violated if police officers who used deadly force had their case presented to a jury?

Plenty of police are charged, tried etc when evidence shows the police broke the law.

Gotcha. I would also agree with saying that there are even police who are innocent and who are convicted because of circumstance. Our system isn't perfect, and while the chances of it happening to an officer (who has a union rep) might be slimmer than it happening to someone who gets an over-worked court appointed attorney or just gets a bad draw on the wheel, I don't doubt for a minute that it happens as well.

He also didn't say they should go to jail if they are innocent.

You aren't getting it. He said he would prefer they go to a jury.

Going to a trial (or jury) means they are charged, and arrested. Being arrested means they go to a jail for some time.

Therefore you'd have innocent police arrested and in jail for doing their jobs...

I wasn't trying to twist your words.

Forgive me, as I am no expert on the Constitution. What constitutional rights would be violated if police officers who used deadly force had their case presented to a jury?

Grand jury or a jury?

We don't present cases to a jury unless there's probable cause to charge someone with a crime.

Gotcha. I would also agree with saying that there are even police who are innocent and who are convicted because of circumstance. Our system isn't perfect, and while the chances of it happening to an officer (who has a union rep) might be slimmer than it happening to someone who gets an over-worked court appointed attorney or just gets a bad draw on the wheel, I don't doubt for a minute that it happens as well.

All police don't have these magic union reps that can get them out of everything, you realize that right?