8th Region Girls Basketball upcoming players

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a done deal. Confirmed by girls father and Coach Stowers. Shelby Harmeyer will be joining the Pioneers from Grant County. She can play and is a sophomore this year.

I didn't see this one coming. She is a very good player.

I hear several girls who have been a part of the SK program for years will not be returning. Im all for girls coming to SK but I wonder why 2 talented young ladies have these past two years? SK girls have been very strong in recent memories but not a state power or sending girls D1. Im a SK supporter just a few thoughts.....

I hear several girls who have been a part of the SK program for years will not be returning. Im all for girls coming to SK but I wonder why 2 talented young ladies have these past two years? SK girls have been very strong in recent memories but not a state power or sending girls D1. Im a SK supporter just a few thoughts.....

Kids come to SK because of their recent history and more simply because of Jeff Stowers.

Collins has a great incoming class of freshman that dominated their conference at the middle school level. A lot of them saw varsity playing time as 8th graders. Trinity Warfield and Carson Murray stand out but Jeian Hayes, Hallie Renfro, and Mary Clare Megibben among others should all contribute. Their point guard will likely be Olivia Federle who averaged over 6 points a game last year as a 7th grader.

• 2 weeks later...
Harmeyer is s good player, but I cant see her starting for SK as a soph. She might be lucky to be the 2nd or 3rd off the bench this year!

IMO, She is the 3rd best player in the program right now! Not sure who is better other than Ally. Again, JMO.

Grant girl is a good ball player no doubt, but I think she may be the first to come off the bench for SK this year. If SK has Neace and Harmeyer guarding the perimeter then that will put a tremendous amount of pressure on the BIGS as Neace and Harmeyer are both consistently broken down. Coaches will have to pack in like they did last year just to protect their perimeter defense or have Neace and Harmeyer guard BIGS. Buckner seems more versed to guarding on the perimeter with her athleticism length rather than either guard mentioned above. Really need to protect Meyer as you don't won't her on the perimeter guarding or constantly having guards attack the middle like they did last year. SK will not be deep in the front court so its important to protect their post players.

Best on ball defender, Krohman and Gillam. Jones does a nice job as well but is not super quick. Two younger kids coming up are average defenders at best, Jones' younger sister and the other girl name escapes me, shoots a lot though and not very accurately.

IMO... I would like to see Krohman guarding the ball, Gilliam on the 2, Buckner on the 3, Neace on the 4 and Meyer on the 5. I think you could extend this defense and do really well with preassure. Harmeyer coming off the bench and is a versatile replacement for about any position with the two Jone's sisters coming on as two great subs. Then maybe try to work in one of the younger BIGS to create depth.

That looks like a solid defensive rotation to me.... Defense wins championships!

Grant girl is a good ball player no doubt, but I think she may be the first to come off the bench for SK this year. If SK has Neace and Harmeyer guarding the perimeter then that will put a tremendous amount of pressure on the BIGS as Neace and Harmeyer are both consistently broken down. Coaches will have to pack in like they did last year just to protect their perimeter defense or have Neace and Harmeyer guard BIGS. Buckner seems more versed to guarding on the perimeter with her athleticism length rather than either guard mentioned above. Really need to protect Meyer as you don't won't her on the perimeter guarding or constantly having guards attack the middle like they did last year. SK will not be deep in the front court so its important to protect their post players.

Best on ball defender, Krohman and Gillam. Jones does a nice job as well but is not super quick. Two younger kids coming up are average defenders at best, Jones' younger sister and the other girl name escapes me, shoots a lot though and not very accurately.

IMO... I would like to see Krohman guarding the ball, Gilliam on the 2, Buckner on the 3, Neace on the 4 and Meyer on the 5. I think you could extend this defense and do really well with preassure. Harm9eyer coming off the bench and is a versatile replacement for about any position with the two Jone's sisters coming on as two great subs. Then maybe try to work in one of the younger BIGS to create depth.

That looks like a solid defensive rotation to me.... Defense wins championships!

Defence does win championships, but in the post season, you need at least 2 consistent scorers in post season games to advance. Meier was shut down against Graves because the defence could collapse and recover in time to guard the perimeter against short guards. This is where Harmayer comes in. At 5' 9" she will be able to keep defenders honest.

Some of the young post players for SK look promising. Saw some kids during the summer that finished well at the basket.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Meier only played 8 minutes due to foul trouble and SK outside shooting came from Neace who is the same size so I'm not sure I follow that logic. There wasn't a whole lot of passing to the post. Very little, if any outside in action.

I do agree that interior scoring is very critical and too many 3's turns into fools gold.

There biggest problem at the state tournament was free throw shooting and some forced shots by young girls and untimely turnovers. I just hope they can all co-exist. There is only one basketball and I hope they all realize that a team with multiple scorers is better than a team with a few. If not, will get to see one girl shoot a lot, another girl very frustrated because she isn't getting shots and a whole pack that may get very frustrated if they don't have a point guard that will distribute.

Bottom line, these girls can't become too selfish and put me first or their team will suffer. Focus on defense and let the offense come. Too much firepower and too well coached to think it won't.

I know all the girls play for different AAU teams and haven't got to see all of them but I have seen the Freshmen Shining Stars team once and they play extremely well together and for each other. Very nice team. Also have seen the younger and older Shining star teams. The older team is pretty good and I believe they have several SK players. The younger team 7th or 8th grade? has several future SK players. One girl is an excellent shooter, another loves to take plenty of bad shots and the 3rd lets the game come to her. Small though.

This team is talented and I hope they reach their potential.

IMO... I would like to see Krohman guarding the ball, Gilliam on the 2, Buckner on the 3, Neace on the 4 and Meyer on the 5. I think you could extend this defense and do really well with preassure. Harmeyer coming off the bench and is a versatile replacement for about any position with the two Jone's sisters coming on as two great subs. Then maybe try to work in one of the younger BIGS to create depth.

Not going to dispute your thought on the lineup, or the statement about defense. But is it advantageous to have a player that consistently averages 12 to 14 pts a game and 5 to 7 REBS a game as a starter sitting on the bench? Also, both girls (Neace and Harmeyer) showed vast improvement on their defensive skills during the summer scrimmages. Both girls are working very hard this summer to improve their games in every aspect. Harmeyer scored 74 pts in 2 days over 3 games at the Run for the Roses Tournament this past weekend. I would sacrifice a little defensively if I had a player posting those kind of numbers on a consistent basis if I were the coach.