Mercer / Harrodsburg Consolidation

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to Harrodsburg and have a so who is an athlete that is a senior this year. I'm sure there is good and bad either way. Although I can tell you that I would not want the two combined. Not because I don't like Harrosburg students. parents ECT but because I would not want my child going to a school that is any bigger than Mercer is now. The more a school grows the less time with teahers, coaches ECT takes place. On the athletic side I think players that are just SO SO would fall through the cracks and many of the students need the structure sports gives. If I were a coach I would want the combo .... look at all the great players.

I went to Harrodsburg and have a so who is an athlete that is a senior this year. I'm sure there is good and bad either way. Although I can tell you that I would not want the two combined. Not because I don't like Harrosburg students. parents ECT but because I would not want my child going to a school that is any bigger than Mercer is now. The more a school grows the less time with teahers, coaches ECT takes place. On the athletic side I think players that are just SO SO would fall through the cracks and many of the students need the structure sports gives. If I were a coach I would want the combo .... look at all the great players.

st of all the school would not be that big. An extra 200 students would not have that big of effect on student /teacher ratio. Mercer County's student/teacher ratio according to their web site is 16 to 1 . That is very,very good. Along with 2oo students you would also be getting more teachers. You could also offer alot more AP classes for your student body.The pluses that a little bit bigger school would have are greater than the negatives. As far as the So So players, in football you could 2 platoon and actually alot more kids would get to specialize and play. A kid that is playing on only defense could spend twice as much time in practice and become a much better player.Along with this, think about how the community would benefit and the support the school would have.A school of 850-900 is not a big school. Just ask Ft.Thomas Highlands or Boyle County.

My sons go to Harrodsburg I went to Mercer. Heisman 20 went to Harodsburg There son Goes too Mercer, Its all good. I root for Mercer 9 Times a Year If my sons go there I will make it 10 to 15 times.... My17 year old hopes it next year his senior year if so that would IMO make mercer #1 in 2a

I don't know if the citizens of Harrodsburg and Mercer Co. would want it. I do feel that the athletic programs would benefit.

Not nessecarily, over here in the eastern part of the state as everyone knows weve had quite a few schools consolidate. Although the classrooms and the facilities are far better than where these kids originally went to school, and lets face it thats the most important thing. The Sports teams have kind of suffered over here due to politics. Heres an example say school A and school B consolidated and made school C. Schools A and B were bitter rivals in all sports before they consolidated. School C know has to hire a football coach, the old coach at school A looks like a right fit but the coach at school B is threatning to call in some favors and get some board members fired if they dont hire him. Meanwhile The parents and students of both scools A and B are supposed to put behind them years of fighting, both on the field and off, and play together as a team and the parents who fought these battles are supposed to join hands with the ones they played against in those heated contests and band together to form a booster club. Right about here is when human nature kicks into overdrive. The kids are talented and the teams are good at school C but the parents and board members from both schools A&B are fighting amogst themselves over which old school will have control over the new one. If there is more kids from School A playing than from school B or vice verca then the other side is complaining about favoritism and will not support the team. While all this is going on the kids see all this fighting and just say "Heck with it". Ive never seen this fail to happen when a school consolidates and the sports suffer because of it.

Not nessecarily, over here in the eastern part of the state as everyone knows weve had quite a few schools consolidate. Although the classrooms and the facilities are far better than where these kids originally went to school, and lets face it thats the most important thing. The Sports teams have kind of suffered over here due to politics. Heres an example say school A and school B consolidated and made school C. Schools A and B were bitter rivals in all sports before they consolidated. School C know has to hire a football coach, the old coach at school A looks like a right fit but the coach at school B is threatning to call in some favors and get some board members fired if they dont hire him. Meanwhile The parents and students of both scools A and B are supposed to put behind them years of fighting, both on the field and off, and play together as a team and the parents who fought these battles are supposed to join hands with the ones they played against in those heated contests and band together to form a booster club. Right about here is when human nature kicks into overdrive. The kids are talented and the teams are good at school C but the parents and board members from both schools A&B are fighting amogst themselves over which old school will have control over the new one. If there is more kids from School A playing than from school B or vice verca then the other side is complaining about favoritism and will not support the team. While all this is going on the kids see all this fighting and just say "Heck with it". Ive never seen this fail to happen when a school consolidates and the sports suffer because of it.

I think Muhlenburg North is a good example of a school that has been more successful since consolidation. They have won their district in Basketball both Boys and Girls easily 80% of the years since consolidation. Football still has a way to go, but I'm pretty sure that none of the 7 former Muhlenburg Co. schools ever had a football team so their wasn't any tradition to build on.

Even with your Eastern KY schools, the politically bias may exist now but afther a few years these kids would be looked at as former students of school A, B, or C. They will have all started within the same system.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I'll give you some examples of schools that have consolidated and done extremely well in all sports. Mason County, Scott County,Shelby County, Lincoln County,Franklin Simpson, Allen County Scottsville, Calwell County,Graves County ,Marshall County, Rockcastle County and Henderson County.All of these schools usually have pretty good teams in their entire sports programs for both boys and girls.You have to look at what this would do for both academics and athletics and I think it would strengthen their entire programs for the good.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I'll give you some examples of schools that have consolidated and done extremely well in all sports. Mason County, Scott County,Shelby County, Lincoln County,Franklin Simpson, Allen County Scottsville, Calwell County,Graves County ,Marshall County, Rockcastle County and Henderson County.All of these schools usually have pretty good teams in their entire sports programs for both boys and girls.You have to look at what this would do for both academics and athletics and I think it would strengthen their entire programs for the good.

Like I said. The Important thing is that the school facilities are better than what the kids have. But,as far as sports go, all I know is what Ive seen. There have been about 5 consolidated schools have came about around here in the last 15 years and theve all run into the same problems. If others scools have made it work then I will be the first to applaud them. But alot of the problems I wrote about that pop up in my neck of the woods stem from these small, tight knit coal mining communities feeling like they lost part of theyre identity when there school is gone. And I guess I cant blame them. It would KILL me if Pikeville consolidated with anyone. But I wont ever have to worry about that I believe. Were an Idependent school district and everyone in the county hates us.LOL!!!

Your scenario sounds like the Hatfields and McCoys .:argue:

I agree. I think it hurts school loyalty, tradition, and some rivalries, but in very, very rare cases does it hurt the new school's athletic program and/or facilities. Just a statement made a brush so broad it didn't even fit through the door.

Those schools in Pike County have to be better off since their consolidations. Haven't Shelby Valley and East Ridge both won regional championships? I don't remember Feds Creek, Millard, Mullins and Johns Creek getting a whole lot accomplished in sports.

People like to use that "political" line as an excuse when their kid isn't quite as good as the ones who start. What school actually suffered in sports?