Daily Grammar/Definition lesson

Jim Schue

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great thread idea and long overdue. I once tried to correct some members basic grammar, didn't work out too well. Seems there is a rule against that, but also a rule not allowing poor grammar. I guess if you have one, why would you need the other?

Anyway, good thread. Hoping SG41017 was just messing around, and doesn't really think a thread like this couldn't be helpful. Keep in mind, we all make mistakes. But, some shouldn't be made by adults.

"I seen"

saw was a verb before a movie title, you may use it.

My favorite sentence ever may have been when someone told me, "I seen, 'Saw,' yesterday."

loose v lose.

I was wanting v I want.

Just a few to chew on, and again, great thread. If it works out, I'll buy ya a couple of Eagles tickets on their next tour.:)

Oh, Man. The one time you needed to have RTS with you ...

I'd pay good money to see somebody correct him like that. :thumb:

In that surrounding, he would have done exactly as I did.

I actually kind of appreciated it. Sometimes my Claryville Heights upbringing comes to the surface. I'm kind of upset that someone hasn't pointed it out to me over all these years.

I always proofread my ridiculously long posts before posting them, and ordinarily find a fair amount of items that need correcting before I post.

Even still, quite often I'll find an error after posting, and rush to the "edit" feature to fix it up ASAP. Nothing embarrasses be more than to lead others into thinking that I'm not aware of proper usage.

With that said, one error got past me a few days ago where I used "know" instead of "no", and by the time I had realized it, it was too late to edit it.

I don't even recall now what thread it was in, and know one called me out on it, but I still felt pretty stupid for letting it get through without correcting it. I just had to get over it, and assume that anyone reading it had to no that I new better, and that it was just a simple oversight.

When typing incessantly the fingers rattle off the words that the mind is spitting out, and something as simple as "no" can become "know" even if it took two additional keystrokes to type it.

I no better than to use "know" when trying to use "no", but I don't always no if the reader is aware that I really new the proper usage, and that know matter how careful I try to be, I just no that sometimes I'll accidentally post the wrong usage before I no what I've done. I sure hope that know one gets the wrong impression and thinks that I don't no the correct ways that "no" and "know" should be used.

I actually performed well in grammar, and at one time, I was a good typist. I find that nowadays, what I am typing on: iphone; ipad; laptop; or keyboard, correlates to my mis-spelled words or grammar violations. I suspect that is the situation with a few of my colleagues.

It is frustrating to me, that on almost any reply I type, when I proofread, I find some kind of stupid error which causes me to cringe.

Having said that, I think this is a great thread for us all to "self-improve".

I always proofread my ridiculously long posts before posting them, and ordinarily find a fair amount of items that need correcting before I post.

Even still, quite often I'll find an error after posting, and rush to the "edit" feature to fix it up ASAP. Nothing embarrasses be more than to lead others into thinking that I'm not aware of proper usage.

With that said, one error got past me a few days ago where I used "know" instead of "no", and by the time I had realized it, it was too late to edit it.

I don't even recall now what thread it was in, and know one called me out on it, but I still felt pretty stupid for letting it get through without correcting it. I just had to get over it, and assume that anyone reading it had to no that I new better, and that it was just a simple oversight.

When typing incessantly the fingers rattle off the words that the mind is spitting out, and something as simple as "no" can become "know" even if it took two additional keystrokes to type it.

I no better than to use "know" when trying to use "no", but I don't always no if the reader is aware that I really new the proper usage, and that know matter how careful I try to be, I just no that sometimes I'll accidentally post the wrong usage before I no what I've done. I sure hope that know one gets the wrong impression and thinks that I don't no the correct ways that "no" and "know" should be used.

You meant to do that, right?

Should have/Should of

Drives me crazy.

Don't forget "could of" and "should of".

"It's"/"its", "affect"/"effect", "then"/"than", all drive me a little crazy.

Somebody mentioned it, but "lose"/"loose" is the one that makes me want to rip out my hair. Remember folks, if your pants are too "loose", you might "lose" your pants.