South Laurel Coach Steps down

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard will it be to find a coach that can step in with south style of play?

I am not sure they will look for someone to coach that specific style of play. I think that would be a mistake as you would limit the field of candidates and you want the best possible candidate for the job regardless of style of play he prefers. Lots of coaches win with different styles of play. :thumb:

Would SL consider Stepp from Clay Co.? He's not really from Clay, he is always looking for another place and he is definitely an offensive whiz.

Interesting question. Clay threw it all over the place this year and South has the Bowling kid. Clay had a freshman Qb and so did South. Clay was a running team and switched over to become a passing team. Could be an interesting hire. Question may be would Clay's coach consider South Laurel. I thought that I read that Clay was going to be tough in the future.

Interesting question. Clay threw it all over the place this year and South has the Bowling kid. Clay had a freshman Qb and so did South. Clay was a running team and switched over to become a passing team. Could be an interesting hire. Question may be would Clay's coach consider South Laurel. I thought that I read that Clay was going to be tough in the future.

Aaron Stepp would be a good choice. Don't know if he would want to leave Clay Co. He has a great mind for the passing game.

Aaron has done a really nice job! I'm proud of him and his ability to adapt.

Who all is in South's District now?

He and his staff have done a super job. I can't recall anyone changing from one of the state's best rushing teams to one of the state's top passing teams in a year's time. There is a lot of young talent. The problem has always been keeping that talent. This staff seems to be doing that. All that being said, I still hear some talk of Coach Stepp looking elsewhere.

Coaches are always looking. I expect the Clay County Admin to "Stepp" up to the plate and really support our sports programs over the next few years. With all the young talent in the county right now, look for great things (in all sports) in the near future.

Coaches are always looking. I expect the Clay County Admin to "Stepp" up to the plate and really support our sports programs over the next few years. With all the young talent in the county right now, look for great things (in all sports) in the near future.
I hope you're right. Clay should do everything possible to keep Coach Stepp and his staff. Sometimes people forget what it was like only a few years ago there. To keep up with Bell, Rock, and Letcher (all have great facilities) will be tough but can be done. SKINPIG, it's good to see you back. I was beginning to think you were all basketball.

South Laurel will more than likely hire a top notch assistant. The pay scale in Laurel County is not what it should be, especially for a county with 2 class AAAA schools and makes it tough to get an experienced head coach. Their last 2 coaches had playoff wins and were both first time head coaches at South Laurel (Leger & Irwin). Same at North Laurel as well as they both fall under the same salary structures and their last coaches have all been former assistants from somewhere (Duncum from Corbin & Abbott from North Laurel).

IMHO, this issue needs to be revisited.

Whomever takes this job has some big shoes to fill but the program is headed in the right direction. And to think that some did not want to hire Coach Irwin as the head coach when Leger resigned to take an assistant principal's job at SL middle school. I think their tune changed the past few seasons.

South Laurel will more than likely hire a top notch assistant. The pay scale in Laurel County is not what it should be, especially for a county with 2 class AAAA schools and makes it tough to get an experienced head coach. Their last 2 coaches had playoff wins and were both first time head coaches at South Laurel (Leger & Irwin). Same at North Laurel as well as they both fall under the same salary structures and their last coaches have all been former assistants from somewhere (Duncum from Corbin & Abbott from North Laurel).

IMHO, this issue needs to be revisited.

Whomever takes this job has some big shoes to fill but the program is headed in the right direction. And to think that some did not want to hire Coach Irwin as the head coach when Leger resigned to take an assistant principal's job at SL middle school. I think their tune changed the past few seasons.

Many good points here. :thumb: