South Laurel Coach Steps down

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While in Hazard over the weekend for baseball, I was told that Chapell resigned his Head Coaching position on Thursday, and his staff was fired on Friday. This came from a couple of Perry Central parents. They said that Chapel was young & energetic, but pretty raw and inexperienced. They also said that his record would have been much better had he been able to get more kids out to play. Numbers should not be an issue for him at SL.

While in Hazard over the weekend for baseball, I was told that Chapell resigned his Head Coaching position on Thursday, and his staff was fired on Friday. This came from a couple of Perry Central parents. They said that Chapel was young & energetic, but pretty raw and inexperienced. They also said that his record would have been much better had he been able to get more kids out to play. Numbers should not be an issue for him at SL.

That is true. South's numbers have been climbing every year and were around 70+ this past season (if memory serves me correctly).

Any news? It seems like after all the commotion, it has gotten awfully quiet at SL the past several days.

MT, we were counting on you to keep us informed . . . sounds like someone on the inside is feeding you vital information as you seem to be plugged in to the majority of steps and decisions in South Laurel's process. Please let us know who our new coach will be.

MT, we were counting on you to keep us informed . . . sounds like someone on the inside is feeding you vital information as you seem to be plugged in to the majority of steps and decisions in South Laurel's process. Please let us know who our new coach will be.

Yes, I can detect the sarcasm in your post. The word is that Chapell is still the frontrunner with at least 1 current assistant coach at another program being right in the hunt, but my sources, while they have been restless the past several days, aren't backing away from Chapell probably being the next coach at SL. The advantage that he has is that he likes to throw and has 3 years head coaching experience for a AAA school. I expect a decision or announcement either towards the end of this week or early next week. There have been some unforeseen delays in the process but I think this only means that they are just making 110% sure of their decision which is the right thing to do.

I hope for the kids' sake that an announcement comes VERY soon so that they can begin preparing mentally for the 2006 season. Physically, I know that many are working their tails off right now, but they just want to know who it will be. The difference between this and the NL opening last year is that the Jaguars did have an assistant (Abbott) applying and the Cardinals don't have that same advantage.

Having watched many of these kids play since middle school, I want the seniors to have a great final season as a Cardinal and the uncertainty is weighing on them quite a bit right now. But they know that the school's administration wants the best for them and the program for the long haul. These kids are winners and will adapt to the new staff and give them all that they have, that, you can bet on! :thumb:

Yes, I was being sarcastic, MT. There are lots of individuals involved in the selection process, based on an earlier post from Slugo, but as you say, it has been pretty quiet in the South camp. Sorry, but I'm frustrated that someone from North seems to know more about what's going on than our own players and parents from South.

Yes, I was being sarcastic, MT. There are lots of individuals involved in the selection process, based on an earlier post from Slugo, but as you say, it has been pretty quiet in the South camp. Sorry, but I'm frustrated that someone from North seems to know more about what's going on than our own players and parents from South.

I understand your frustrations. The kids need to know what is going on so that they can move forward.

However, I think you are making an assumption about me that may be incorrect. How do you know that I don't have family playing at South Laurel? ;) :sssh:

I read somewhere that it could Jim Black, or one of his staff, I can not remember. Either way I would be glad to get these guys out Cumberland's district.

I don't Coach Black would take the cut in pay. I did hear that someone from his staff may have applied, but this was not confirmed.

Coach Black would be a GREAT fit for South Laurel. He loves to throw the ball, he knows how to win, and he is a class act. We would love to have him in London, but don't see it happening.

Don't get me excited like that!