North Carolina Academic Scandal Update - Jan 2015

Bluto

3,100 students embroiled in North Carolina cheating scandal

"The latest report showed that university leaders, faculty and staff either missed or ignored red flags that could have put a stop to the problem years earlier, WJLA reports. At least 3,100 students — half of them athletes — benefited from fake classes and grades that were artificially inflated in the former African and Afro-American Studies department (AFAM) in Chapel Hill."

"The university is also in the middle of trying to fire a senior professor and has accepted the resignation of another faculty member. Additionally, an academic counselor for athletes has been dismissed. All of this stems from their roles in this scandal, campus officials said Wednesday, USA Today reports."

3,100 students embroiled in North Carolina cheating scandal

What is the NCAA doing here? It is amazing how silent it is on this. I have always liked North Carolina but this is crazy. Thousands of students and maybe 1,500 athletes involved in this and no punishments yet? The NCAA comes down hard on some schools if a booster buys a recruit a coke if against the rules (claiming lack of institutional control). This mess goes on for 18 YEARS and nothing yet???

This is a major story in my opinion and I am astounded at the NCAA's lack of action so far.

Not sure what you mean by this. It's not like this hasn't gotten a lot of coverage.

It has from the media outlets outside of ESPN. However the NCAA has been pretty hush hush over the whole thing. I believe the NCAA knows how bad it is and that they would likely have to hand down a program wrecking penalty. They obviously don't want to do that to UNC, so it appears they are just hoping the media storm just blows over. If they don't do a thorough investigation, they may as well let every other school do whatever the hell they want too.

Over 1500 athletes so this stretches well beyound basketball and football. This is unchartered waters for the NCAA

Exactly, the entire athletic program would be crippled or disbanded if the NCAA puts their foot down.. That said, they will not.

I think the NCAA is getting closer and closer to losing much of their control over "student athletes" and that its decisions may be motivated more by self-preservation than by enforcing its rules without regard of who the transgressor is. Of course, that would not preclude North Carolina from doing something appropriate on its own.