AAU Summer Basketball

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are holdbacks correct, meaning they should be juniors-to-be but were held back a grade?

So, what does that have to do with the fact they are sophmores to be & therefore are playing with the correct group. If they are holdbacks or not I do not know, but I do know they will not be 16 until sometime in June. This would then mean they graduate at age 18. If they had not stayed back (if in fact they did) they would have been 17 at graduation. Why is this always the sore spot with everyone when it comes to the Faulkners! I assure you there are many in the state who will graduate a lot older that the Faulkners will be at graduation. I know 2 on the most recently announced all state team who will be 19 long before thieir graduation date!

They are holdbacks correct, meaning they should be juniors-to-be but were held back a grade?

Welcome to AAU Basketball... grade exemptions, etc.. Do they even check Birth Certificates anymore? Not that it matters regarding the Eddie Ford team but there is no purity in AAU basketball....period.

I can tell you at most tourneys they do not check ages. At state tourneys such AAU at KBA in Lexington, they do a decent job. My point is, if the 16th is as we hyped it to be and these players are all MVP's of the 16th region, WHY NOT play them in the 16's and even 17's? I do know that some of the top frosh and soph will be playing in our bigger tourneys for 16's and 17's this year. It appears the Faulkners are playing down a level and not up based on their actual age.

Anybody that gripes about the Faulkners doesnt appreciate kids that play with heart and passion, they are not on here hyping themselves, they have other people that appreciate their love for the game. They would be an asset to any team they play on regardless of age, so stop the nitpicking and give the kids credit for being old school basketball junkies and enjoy the way they play the game!:thumb:

Hyping kids over other talented kids is not "appreciation". There is a limit. And to say they play with passion and heart, is to say that others in their class do not. This is far from the truth. This board has pretty much become a 16th Region Community board. There are 15 other regions out there.

Hyping kids over other talented kids is not "appreciation". There is a limit. And to say they play with passion and heart, is to say that others in their class do not. This is far from the truth. This board has pretty much become a 16th Region Community board. There are 15 other regions out there.

I didnt say they were the only kids that played with heart and passion, if you have kids that play with heart and passion, go ahead and talk about them, but you seem to want to put the faulkners down for whatever reason. If the other 15 regions want to talk about their kids, lets hear from them. Maybe the 16th region is the only one who can afford the 10 bucks?:D

Just to make you happy, Ill give you some other kids in other regions that also play with "heart and passion" how about

Doug Beaumont from Male?

Johan Hamilton from Ballard?

Nathan Novosell from Lex Cath?

Rodney Haddix from Scott County?

Stephon Pettigrew from Etown?

All these kids would make my "all heart and passion " teams and not a one from the 16th region

now can I say I also love the way the Faulkners play?:dancingpa

That will suffice. Not knocking those two at all. Just trying to keep it real where your not knocking down other players to build up others.

I really do enjoy watching the games in the 16th region and I do enjoy watching the AAU tourneys as well. What I do not enjoy is hearing basketball insiders ask why a certain kid was built up so much by area folks only to have people expectations too high so that when they see them they say "I don't see what all the fuss is about. Not as good as advertised."

Sometimes over doing it can hurt in the long run.

Show me in my 6,000+ posts where I knocked down other players in an effort to build up others? Surely you're not implying that. Or if somebody else has, I doubt they intended anything malicious towards those kids.

After reading more of stripes3 post, I will agree with the idea that kids should play up to their age level in AAU. I feel that will only make them better as they apply their skills to more physical and quicker players...the speed of the game increases and adjusting to the speed and strength is key player development.

That was one of the points I was trying to make. Most of the posters on here just do not seem to get outside of the 16th too often. I see tons of talent in Columbus, Cincy, Indy, and more. People say UK should recruit this kid, UL needs this one, or UC cant pass on so and so, but the truth of the matter is, we are behind. You have some top notch freshman in other regions that compete and develop against greater talent. They will be playing 16s and 17s. Some will do great and some will do just average. But doing average in the 17s against top comp is better than doing above-average against kids the same age or even less in the Faulkners case.

there is a difference againt playing in your class locally vs nationally, locally you need to play up to compete, nationally, you need to play in your class to survive, the Faulkners will be playing in mostly national tournaments this year and they will be pushed to the max

on the other hand, Tyler Portwood from Scott county, Nathan Novosell from Lex Catholic and Jordan Smart from Lex Cath will all be playing at 17u this year where they could play as 16u

a lot of it depends on the team you can hook up with

(excuse me for talking about kids outside the 16th):D

I agree with most of what you stated. There will be some KY frosh playing nationally and playing up and will well. I agree that the players you are speaking of would struggle playing up on a national level. I do not condemn you for talking outside of the 16th, heck, you should receive a medal.