2015 Juniors

Aroundthehorn

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew Trame and CJ Seay from Scott are some people to mention. Andrew is a great hitter but sometimes has some shaky defense. CJ pitched well for the Eagles last year and will probably be their ace this year (also like to mention he's gotten a little bigger so that might translate to some velocity). He will also be starting first base so we'll get a measure of hit hitting and fielding abilities.

I could see him playing NAIA or D3 unless his measurables improve a lot in a year. He is definitely a very good hs player.

I'm going to pick on you a little bit :)

The jump between NAIA and D3 can be significant. I know it's anecdotal, but I personally watched two NAIA pitchers at a school here in KY touch low 90's in a simple fall workout. Thus, they weren't at their peak velos as they would be in April. Not many D3 schools can trot that out.

And the aforementioned NAIA school did not even qualify for the post season.

Point is, there is (usually) a big difference between NAIA and D3.

Sorry for the interruption...

I'm going to pick on you a little bit :)

The jump between NAIA and D3 can be significant. I know it's anecdotal, but I personally watched two NAIA pitchers at a school here in KY touch low 90's in a simple fall workout. Thus, they weren't at their peak velos as they would be in April. Not many D3 schools can trot that out.

And the aforementioned NAIA school did not even qualify for the post season.

Point is, there is (usually) a big difference between NAIA and D3.

Sorry for the interruption...

Yep, a lot of people don't realize how weird college baseball can be... There are several JUCO baseball programs that are stronger than many D1 programs. As you said, there are a lot of strong NAIA programs out there.

That's why many of these kids will get interest from schools in every "level".

As a norm, even if that's possible to say... Lol!

I'd say in general the order would go D1, D2 and NAIA, then D3...

But JUCO is all over the map... Top notch programs and weaker ones.

NAIA can be really varied too... Really strong competition mixed with weaker programs as well.

That's why it's so important IMO that a kid really look into the program that's recruiting him (and how he fits into their plans) more so than which division it competes in. Definitely can be confusing. :)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree 1000% as to JUCO. We just don't think about them in this area. However, many major D1 schools recruit a significant portion of their guys from JUCO. I know that 4 pitchers in the 2015 class have all committed to play at John Logan in Illinois. Kudos to them for thinking outside the box that KY kids often do not consider.

To that end, there is D1 and D2 JUCO. Kids can get a great deal with JUCO (low tuition - scholarship isn't going to cover everything), get your core stuff in, and you demonstrate that you can (not might) be able to play college baseball. If you are getting it done at a D1 JUCO, someone is going to give you a scholarship.

Andrew Trame and CJ Seay from Scott are some people to mention. Andrew is a great hitter but sometimes has some shaky defense. CJ pitched well for the Eagles last year and will probably be their ace this year (also like to mention he's gotten a little bigger so that might translate to some velocity). He will also be starting first base so we'll get a measure of hit hitting and fielding abilities.

Seay will not be the ace. He will probably be the #4 behind Andrew Trame, Jake Ohmer and Zach Mahan

No idea who Mahan is. Didn't play last year for them. If anybody would be the ace besides Seay, it would be Trame.

I believe Mahan is the transfer from a small christian school that I mentioned in a previous post. He is apparently around 6' 4" or so and throws in the 80's. I can't confirm as I haven't seen him live and in person. I've only heard is throws hard, but is very raw.

I don't know if Seay is the ace, but he's no worse than the #2. He is tall, and has decent velocity. He's not the best mechanically, and has somewhat awkward arm action, which has caused him to be inconsistent with location over the years. He has improved, and with his size, has a high ceiling.

Ohmer throws mostly offspeed stuff, and stay in the strike zone. He has gotten much bigger, so he may pick up some velocity this year. Still, he's probably a 3 or 4 starter.

You will most likely see the higher velocity next month at the Pre-Season All- State next month.

Absolutely, there'll be some bigger numbers and bigger names at that one. A lot of the kids at this event were first timers for PBR... I think the highest pitching velocity at this event was 83mph.