Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2015 Juniors

Featured Replies

Yep, a lot of people don't realize how weird college baseball can be... There are several JUCO baseball programs that are stronger than many D1 programs. As you said, there are a lot of strong NAIA programs out there.

 

That's why many of these kids will get interest from schools in every "level".

 

As a norm, even if that's possible to say... Lol!

I'd say in general the order would go D1, D2 and NAIA, then D3...

But JUCO is all over the map... Top notch programs and weaker ones.

 

NAIA can be really varied too... Really strong competition mixed with weaker programs as well.

That's why it's so important IMO that a kid really look into the program that's recruiting him (and how he fits into their plans) more so than which division it competes in. Definitely can be confusing. :)

 

If I'm not mistaken, a player is draft eligible after every year of JUCO. Hence, a lot of quality players choose this route, especially if they were drafted in the 35th+ round out of HS. This certainly adds to the quality of some of the JUCO programs in the U.S.

  • Replies 88
  • Views 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, a player is draft eligible after every year of JUCO. Hence, a lot of quality players choose this route, especially if they were drafted in the 35th+ round out of HS. This certainly adds to the quality of some of the JUCO programs in the U.S.

 

You are 100% correct...

To add to that.... A lot of quality players that don't want to sit for a year or two will choose an NAIA or D2 over a D1... It all depends on the individual situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but to aquier a batting average you simply divide the H's by the number of AB's to get the average?

The following were the stats that I pulled last season from Cincinnati.com on May 15th...

When you cross reference Slone's stats on the NCSA page.. They're pretty spot on.

Hitting:

Braydon Combs - 80AB , 23 runs, 40 hits, 12 2b, 0 3b, 4 hr, 29 RBI, 3 sb, .524 obp, .500 avg

 

Brett Slusher- 60 AB, 23 runs, 29 hits, 6 2b, 3 3b, 1 hr, 22 RBI, 17 sb, .551 obp, .483 avg

 

Will Heppler - 90 AB, 17 runs, 40 hits, 4 2b, 0 3b, 0 hr, 24 RBI, 0 sb, .505 obp, .444 avg

 

Evan Slone - 72 AB, 16 runs, 26 hits, 3 2b, 3 3b, 1 hr, 21 RBI, 7 sb, .408 obp, .361 avg

 

Ethan Stringer - 76 AB, 27 runs, 27 hits, 7 2b, 3 3b, 1 hr, 19 RBI, 8 sb, .412 obp, .355 avg

 

Jeffrey Purnell - 64 AB, 14 runs, 21 hits, 2 2b, 1 3b, 0 hr, 12 RBI, 1 sb, .371 obp, .328 avg

 

Pitching:

Evan Slone - 28 ip, 4 wins, 1 loss, 27 strikeouts, 1.06 whip, 1.73 era

 

Jeffrey Purnell - 21 ip, 1 win, 1 loss, 23 strikeouts, 0.78 whip, 1.29 era

Correct me if I'm wrong but to aquier a batting average you simply divide the H's by the number of AB's to get the average?

You are correct... And 26 hits divided by 72 AB is .361

Correct I was looking throught all the years. Regaurdless of that mix up with the stats still good numbers for a player of his size. Love seeing talent get mentioned from the small schools like Ludlow keep doing big things Evan, and good luck to the Panthers this year!

Correct I was looking throught all the years. Regaurdless of that mix up with the stats still good numbers for a player of his size. Love seeing talent get mentioned from the small schools like Ludlow keep doing big things Evan, and good luck to the Panthers this year!

 

Yeah I didn't check the other years because the only stats I actually knew I could cross check we're last swason's varsity through Cincinnati.com..

But I'm with you, I love seeing big talent at small schools.

Bellevue has some good players too... And Kevin Gray is just going to keep pushing Ludlow to be better each year. I'm happy for their program having Kevin in place.

Correct I was looking throught all the years. Regaurdless of that mix up with the stats still good numbers for a player of his size. Love seeing talent get mentioned from the small schools like Ludlow keep doing big things Evan, and good luck to the Panthers this year!

 

Oh yeah, I see what they did wrong on a couple of those batting averages... They didn't include the extra base hits in the "hit" column. It's like that was singles and then you add the extra base hits and when you divide that, the BA is correct. I'm sure someone from his circle will see this and he'll be able to fix it.

Good eye man. :)

The following were the stats that I pulled last season from Cincinnati.com on May 15th...

When you cross reference Slone's stats on the NCSA page.. They're pretty spot on.

Hitting:

Braydon Combs - 80AB , 23 runs, 40 hits, 12 2b, 0 3b, 4 hr, 29 RBI, 3 sb, .524 obp, .500 avg

 

Brett Slusher- 60 AB, 23 runs, 29 hits, 6 2b, 3 3b, 1 hr, 22 RBI, 17 sb, .551 obp, .483 avg

 

Will Heppler - 90 AB, 17 runs, 40 hits, 4 2b, 0 3b, 0 hr, 24 RBI, 0 sb, .505 obp, .444 avg

 

Evan Slone - 72 AB, 16 runs, 26 hits, 3 2b, 3 3b, 1 hr, 21 RBI, 7 sb, .408 obp, .361 avg

 

Ethan Stringer - 76 AB, 27 runs, 27 hits, 7 2b, 3 3b, 1 hr, 19 RBI, 8 sb, .412 obp, .355 avg

 

Jeffrey Purnell - 64 AB, 14 runs, 21 hits, 2 2b, 1 3b, 0 hr, 12 RBI, 1 sb, .371 obp, .328 avg

 

Pitching:

Evan Slone - 28 ip, 4 wins, 1 loss, 27 strikeouts, 1.06 whip, 1.73 era

 

Jeffrey Purnell - 21 ip, 1 win, 1 loss, 23 strikeouts, 0.78 whip, 1.29 era

 

Regarding these kids... And keep in mind, not all of these were necessarily final season stats... Just the stats as I pulled them last May 15th...

 

Anyway, out of the kids in this group or (even kids whose stats I couldn't find)... Do you expect a better or "breakout" season from anyone in particular?

I expect all these kids will do great, but someone is bound to surpass our expectations.

A couple of kids that get my "breakout year" vote:

Purnell

Ziegelmeyer

I believe Mahan is the transfer from a small christian school that I mentioned in a previous post. He is apparently around 6' 4" or so and throws in the 80's. I can't confirm as I haven't seen him live and in person. I've only heard is throws hard, but is very raw.

 

I don't know if Seay is the ace, but he's no worse than the #2. He is tall, and has decent velocity. He's not the best mechanically, and has somewhat awkward arm action, which has caused him to be inconsistent with location over the years. He has improved, and with his size, has a high ceiling.

 

Ohmer throws mostly offspeed stuff, and stay in the strike zone. He has gotten much bigger, so he may pick up some velocity this year. Still, he's probably a 3 or 4 starter.

 

How many starts did Seay get last year compared to the others?

Regarding these kids... And keep in mind, not all of these were necessarily final season stats... Just the stats as I pulled them last May 15th...

 

Anyway, out of the kids in this group or (even kids whose stats I couldn't find)... Do you expect a better or "breakout" season from anyone in particular?

I expect all these kids will do great, but someone is bound to surpass our expectations.

 

As you said many of those numbers only represent basically half a season, or even less. I don't think Braden Combs got another at bat due to injury, for example. Secondly, not sure how much weight I would put on the site that's in question. I mean, the video is from a backyard. Doesn't scream credibility to me.

As you said many of those numbers only represent basically half a season, or even less. I don't think Braden Combs got another at bat due to injury, for example. Secondly, not sure how much weight I would put on the site that's in question. I mean, the video is from a backyard. Doesn't scream credibility to me.

Well, you obviously know nothing about college baseball recruiting.

The "site" in question is NCSA which is as credible as it gets. They, along with PBR, FieldLevel, Perfect Game, Baseball Factory and others are well respected by college coaches.

Baseball is not like football...they don't want game footage to evaluate in baseball...they want "skills" video. I.e. Taking infield, taking BP, etc.

 

It doesn't matter if it's a cage in a backyard, or a cage at a fancy facility or a wide open baseball field.... It's still going to be BP footage of a kid that is getting "live" pitching from a guy behind an L-screen that is 40-50 ft away.

You mentioned Combs...great player. I've seen his PBR footage. Guess what? He takes BP and infield on film... So coaches can evaluate his skills.

Every now and then you'll see game footage for a pitcher, but even most pitcher videos are of a kid throwing to a catcher...no batter involved. Again, they're looking at mechanics and skills.

I've never even seen PBR film their games before. They always film BP and players taking infield and outfield work. I believe they do film their pitchers from behind the plate in their games though. Makes sense, you can be a position player and never get a ball hit your way.

Anyway, search NCSA and other sites that I mentioned. The kids are providing "skills" videos. I actually saw a "top recruit" from California that was drafted out of high school in the first round. His "hitting" video was a guy in a cage soft tossing to him and hitting into a net 10 feet away.

 

Bottom line: NCSA, PBR, FieldLevel, Baseball Factory, Perfect Game, etc are very credible. I personally know some people affiliated with some of these companies and I know how serious they take it. They verify everything that is posted. They care about their reputation too much.

 

What Panther 15 saw was a simple mistake on some past seasonal batting averages. Example: one summer season had a .532 batting average. In the hits column it said 34... And 12 doubles and 4 triples... 94 at bats. Well 34 hits in 94 at bats is only a .362 avg. But using common sense I thought, what if they mistakenly used the "hits" column as just singles... Guess what? It adds up. 34 singles plus 12 doubles plus 4 triples = 50 hits... 50 hits in 94 at bats is .532 avg

When I did that same thing in any other season that looked "off", it worked every time. Simple mistake that I'm sure the kid will fix.

Keep in mind these are kids too...

But like I said, NCSA and the other companies "verify" everything. It's their job. Their "rep" is on the line.

 

Sorry to be insanely long-winded, but you struck a nerve. :)

I know how hard NCSA and PBR and others work for these kids... And I respect the hell out of them.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.