Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2015 Juniors

Featured Replies

BACK ON TOPIC:

I threw it out there earlier, but the thread got sidetracked...

Purnell and Ziegelmeyer are my picks to have a "big" season.

Who do you have?

  • Replies 88
  • Views 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you obviously know nothing about college baseball recruiting.

The "site" in question is NCSA which is as credible as it gets. They, along with PBR, FieldLevel, Perfect Game, Baseball Factory and others are well respected by college coaches.

Baseball is not like football...they don't want game footage to evaluate in baseball...they want "skills" video. I.e. Taking infield, taking BP, etc.

 

It doesn't matter if it's a cage in a backyard, or a cage at a fancy facility or a wide open baseball field.... It's still going to be BP footage of a kid that is getting "live" pitching from a guy behind an L-screen that is 40-50 ft away.

You mentioned Combs...great player. I've seen his PBR footage. Guess what? He takes BP and infield on film... So coaches can evaluate his skills.

Every now and then you'll see game footage for a pitcher, but even most pitcher videos are of a kid throwing to a catcher...no batter involved. Again, they're looking at mechanics and skills.

I've never even seen PBR film their games before. They always film BP and players taking infield and outfield work. I believe they do film their pitchers from behind the plate in their games though. Makes sense, you can be a position player and never get a ball hit your way.

Anyway, search NCSA and other sites that I mentioned. The kids are providing "skills" videos. I actually saw a "top recruit" from California that was drafted out of high school in the first round. His "hitting" video was a guy in a cage soft tossing to him and hitting into a net 10 feet away.

 

Bottom line: NCSA, PBR, FieldLevel, Baseball Factory, Perfect Game, etc are very credible. I personally know some people affiliated with some of these companies and I know how serious they take it. They verify everything that is posted. They care about their reputation too much.

 

What Panther 15 saw was a simple mistake on some past seasonal batting averages. Example: one summer season had a .532 batting average. In the hits column it said 34... And 12 doubles and 4 triples... 94 at bats. Well 34 hits in 94 at bats is only a .362 avg. But using common sense I thought, what if they mistakenly used the "hits" column as just singles... Guess what? It adds up. 34 singles plus 12 doubles plus 4 triples = 50 hits... 50 hits in 94 at bats is .532 avg

When I did that same thing in any other season that looked "off", it worked every time. Simple mistake that I'm sure the kid will fix.

Keep in mind these are kids too...

But like I said, NCSA and the other companies "verify" everything. It's their job. Their "rep" is on the line.

 

Sorry to be insanely long-winded, but you struck a nerve. :)

I know how hard NCSA and PBR and others work for these kids... And I respect the hell out of them.

 

Ummm.....allow me to give you a hint. I know plenty about college recruiting, specifically baseball recruiting. Not going to call you out on a forum of anonymity, but reading your posts and your evals of some of these kids I would say that's the pot calling the kettle black. Keep on living man.

 

And my pick for a local kid to do big things is the Raisor kid at Highlands, as well as Will Heppler at CCH. Both kids tasted a little bit last year in supporting roles. Both, especially Hepp with Schreiver moving on, will be counted on this year to shine in lead roles. I think if Will would go to a premier summer team he could be a heavily recruited kid. IMO he is every bit the hitter as the BW kids, but summer is magic season. The Force is good, but they aren't KBC, or The Flames, or Midland, or The Indiana Bulls, or even the up can coming Cincy Baseball Club. Raisor still will not be the lead dog in that rotation, that belongs to Mitchell Jones, but he will be counted on big time.

Would like to see Heppler show some power this spring. According to those stats that were posted he had 40 hits with only 4 extra base hits (all doubles). Have to have some pop as a first baseman at the college level.

Ummm.....allow me to give you a hint. I know plenty about college recruiting, specifically baseball recruiting. Not going to call you out on a forum of anonymity, but reading your posts and your evals of some of these kids I would say that's the pot calling the kettle black. Keep on living man.

 

And my pick for a local kid to do big things is the Raisor kid at Highlands, as well as Will Heppler at CCH. Both kids tasted a little bit last year in supporting roles. Both, especially Hepp with Schreiver moving on, will be counted on this year to shine in lead roles. I think if Will would go to a premier summer team he could be a heavily recruited kid. IMO he is every bit the hitter as the BW kids, but summer is magic season. The Force is good, but they aren't KBC, or The Flames, or Midland, or The Indiana Bulls, or even the up can coming Cincy Baseball Club. Raisor still will not be the lead dog in that rotation, that belongs to Mitchell Jones, but he will be counted on big time.

 

Only two things set me off in these forums: people making "negative comments" that aren't constructive about high school kids.... And people that make negative comments about coaches or organizations that try to help kids.

So when you said, "backyard video" and "question credibility"... That's where I took issue, because it came off snarky to me.

If you do know about baseball recruiting, then you do know about NCSA.

Now to your picks: I like them a lot.

Raisor is a kid I mentioned last season on here and Heppler is a kid that I learned about on here. Both will have great seasons.

Would like to see Heppler show some power this spring. According to those stats that were posted he had 40 hits with only 4 extra base hits (all doubles). Have to have some pop as a first baseman at the college level.

 

I'm curious as to how D1 coaches look at that. You often hear that "power comes later" when we hear about draft picks.

I'm curious as to how D1 coaches look at that. You often hear that "power comes later" when we hear about draft picks.

 

Does he only project as a first baseman? If he has some speed, he may be viewed as a potential outfielder... Does he pitch?

The other thing with power: does it look like he's gonna add size to his frame? If he's lanky, most likely they'll project him to add power after getting into their strength and conditioning program at the college level.

Does he only project as a first baseman? If he has some speed, he may be viewed as a potential outfielder... Does he pitch?

The other thing with power: does it look like he's gonna add size to his frame? If he's lanky, most likely they'll project him to add power after getting into their strength and conditioning program at the college level.

 

I can't answer about other positions. My guess (key) is he's a DH/1B. He's about 6'5 230 now. He , like most 16 year old kids, isn't fully formed physically. Weight room work will tighten up that body.

 

I think he's a legit prospect.

I can't answer about other positions. My guess (key) is he's a DH/1B. He's about 6'5 230 now. He , like most 16 year old kids, isn't fully formed physically. Weight room work will tighten up that body.

 

I think he's a legit prospect.

 

I think he's definitely on some college coaches' radar.

I expect Ricky Raisor will have a monster season on the mound. Kid has great stuff. Evan Slone, I think, while he has been really good, will have a monster season at the plate and on the mound.

 

In mentioning Raisor there are some really good juniors at Highlands that have not had the opportunity due to all the depth the Bluebirds coaching staff is stockpiling. Do not be surprised, besides Mitchell Cain, if a few "football names" in the junior class do not contribute in a major way before all is said and done.

 

These are not guys you will find on any lists due to commitments to football and also some basketball as well, but they can flat out play. Unfortunately for them Highlands talent pool is very deep. If their ever was a team that can just say "next man up" it is the Bluebirds. Kudos to JB for getting the program in this position.

I'm curious as to how D1 coaches look at that. You often hear that "power comes later" when we hear about draft picks.

 

1B is a middle of the order type position. He has great size for the first base position and he has one thing in his favor being a left handed hitter but in order to get serious interest at the D1 level as a 1B I think he is definitely going to have to show he can hit for some power.

How many starts did Seay get last year compared to the others?

 

I would say about a third of the season in last year, Seay became the consistent number two option for the Eagles.

I would say about a third of the season in last year, Seay became the consistent number two option for the Eagles.

 

I remember Seay when he was younger, pretty good arm, but back then soccer seem to be his money ball. Does he still play soccer?

I expect Ricky Raisor will have a monster season on the mound. Kid has great stuff. Evan Slone, I think, while he has been really good, will have a monster season at the plate and on the mound.

 

In mentioning Raisor there are some really good juniors at Highlands that have not had the opportunity due to all the depth the Bluebirds coaching staff is stockpiling. Do not be surprised, besides Mitchell Cain, if a few "football names" in the junior class do not contribute in a major way before all is said and done.

 

These are not guys you will find on any lists due to commitments to football and also some basketball as well, but they can flat out play. Unfortunately for them Highlands talent pool is very deep. If their ever was a team that can just say "next man up" it is the Bluebirds. Kudos to JB for getting the program in this position.

 

So where will these Juniors from Highlands go while they wait their turn? Have these kids been in the program?

Yes their are several in the program that have played Frosh and JV. As I said I would expect some to get some time as they develop as juniors. One thing I guess to point out is that many times when you have a program that has huge numbers kids do not get the opportunities at the younger age to play varsity as perhaps kids at smaller schools do. They have a very strong junior class that as sophomores were very strong as JV players. I am sure other schools have the exact same scenario just not familiar with those kids.

What about the Garrett Wilson kid from Bullitt East? I heard he put up some really good numbers at PBR events and at U of L's team camp?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.