Quality of Officials Assigned to work Girls Game

Most have never played the game, so they don't know the difference among skill, physical play and fouls.

What area would you say this about? In NKY, I would say that close to 90% of the referees are former players.

As for part II of the state test. You do realize that most retired and inactive officials continue to register with the state and therefore are not required to take the test, don't you?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What area would you say this about? In NKY, I would say that close to 90% of the referees are former players.

As for part II of the state test. You do realize that most retired and inactive officials continue to register with the state and therefore are not required to take the test, don't you?

I was thinking the same thing!!! Maybe we are just lucky!

I was thinking the same thing!!! Maybe we are just lucky!

NKY Ref's are better than most in the state! They call the game more consistent than most of the state. I've been around the state to watch game. If you think our refs are bad, pack up your bags and go check out the states officials. Southeastern Kentucky officiate from their own rule book and they'll tell you that. The Western part of the state does a good job. It really depends on where you are and what you are used to. Like RCC9 stated, make the adjustment and play on. No one is going to be the same no matter where you go. Don't let the officiating dictate the game. I know easier said than done but good coaches can do just that.

As fans I think that we want consistency. The game hasn't got physical just overnight. Its gotten rougher and rougher as the years have passed. Seeing more injuries now than ever. Was originally blaming it on kids playing year around, but now am thinking its because of how physical the game has gotten. I know all refs call things differently but they should determine how the game is going to be called in the first 2-3 mins of game. They have to set the precedence of how that particular game is going to be called not by what coach is griping, or keeping fouls even on scoreboard, or protecting the star players. Some teams play more physical and intense than others not always but most of the time will foul more with that type play. Not saying we could do any better but we are not the ones licensed and getting a paycheck either.

I personally like the physical play by the girls. I think it makes for a better game to watch and trully favors the stronger players by allowing them to perform dynamically and aggressively (something we like about the boys games). I believe they need to let them play....to a point!

I like the use of a jump ball call over a foul call especially in loose ball situations or tie ups because in the end they don't penalize players for going after the ball and as girls are tussling for control it does not penalize the weaker player.

But the most important aspect of the role of the ref is consistency. Not just in a game but from game to game. Already this season I've seen games called tight that saw key players taken out of the game because of foul trouble and loose games change to tight games that had everybody guessing how to play.

Refs will always argue that girls need to learn to play defense and fans will say refs need to learn how to let the girls play. I think a resolution is somewhere in the middle. Me personally I love girls games far more than boys games as spectator and coach. Yes there are definite differences and a ref should be versed in the differences and prepared to call the game accordingly. Otherwise they risk inserting themselves into the game and directly impacting the outcome.

Edited by Dozer61
spelling

We will have to agree to disagree then because I agree with nothing you've said. And to those girls getting brutalized, I will pass on words of wisdom told to my son once, "basketball is a physical sport; if you don't like it, pick up a tennis racket".

Basketball is a contact sport.....plain and simple!!!! A defender has as much right to defend her territory on the court as the offender has to try and get by...let them play. But control the contact to a point of safety. If contact jeopardizes the safety of player call the foul. If not play on.

I really have no problem with officiating. Generally, most coaches understand referees are different and most are consistent. The people that think officiating is overall bad are those that are always looking for someone to blame besides their kid or team. Coaches also know the one's they might influence, the one's they can't and the one's they may upset and get a call. Overall, they are very competent.

I always say the day a coach calls a perfect game and the players play a perfect game, then you might have a beef. Other than that enjoy the game, all are human out there.

Basketball is a contact sport.....plain and simple!!!! A defender has as much right to defend her territory on the court as the offender has to try and get by...let them play. But control the contact to a point of safety. If contact jeopardizes the safety of player call the foul.If not play on.

I get it that basketball is a contact sport, but it's not wrestling. They have a sport for that kind of contact. But Thank you. You just opened my eyes. Instead of calling the game where, as the rule book states, a person of skill is not to be disadvantaged, we are to trust the judgement of part time, under- trained, under-qualified, non-professionals (inferenced in previous posts) to determine if butchering someone under the basket is safe or not. I think I'll start watching golf, until unskilled people take that sport over and it becomes a contact sport.

I hate travel calls on euro steps, pull over layups and spin moves that are not actual travels!!! Yes girls can pull these off!!

Good points! I agree. I do think the skills of some girls "surprise" the officials sometimes!

I get it that basketball is a contact sport, but it's not wrestling. They have a sport for that kind of contact. But Thank you. You just opened my eyes. Instead of calling the game where, as the rule book states, a person of skill is not to be disadvantaged, we are to trust the judgement of part time, under- trained, under-qualified, non-professionals (inferenced in previous posts) to determine if butchering someone under the basket is safe or not. I think I'll start watching golf, until unskilled people take that sport over and it becomes a contact sport.

Wow! Why so bitter??? What's your solution to fixing the entire officiating world?? I assume you never made a mistake, interpreted something incorrectly, was never out of position, never were frustrated by a parent or coach, never had a game where you didn't feel your best, never missed a travel or foul call? That's really good and I wish they were all that way...but reality...not going to EVER happen in HS officiating. Not really a big deal. Again, maybe it's the region I'm in.

I'm guessing that Sparky has a daughter that is a big kid. I have seen calls not made on contact with big kids. Kind of leaves me the impression that officials let those go because big kids "should be able to absorb that kind of contact". Hand checks get called, but muggings under the basket are not called. Seen it plenty of times.

Most girls drag their pivot foot on a euro step. That is why they get called for it every single time.

There is no pivot on a Euro Step! It is just a layup with the steps taken at an angle rather than straight to the basket. It is still just 2 steps and very legal!

The first foot you land with after you pick your dribble up is your pivot foot. On a RH layup that is typically your right foot. Once you pick that foot up you may not replace it on the floor or you have traveled. If you drag it, you have replaced it on the ground and therefore you have traveled.