Quality of Officials Assigned to work Girls Game

Beat me up if you will, but I'm going to say this and let folks react. Does it seem that officials assigned to girls games are not as competent as those assigned to boys games? Do officials working girls games resent that they are not working boys games?

Ok, let it fly!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me up if you will, but I'm going to say this and let folks react. Does it seem that officials assigned to girls games are not as competent as those assigned to boys games? Do officials working girls games resent that they are not working boys games?

Ok, let it fly!

You do know that officials aren't assigned JUST girls or boys games during the season? They do a mixture of both.

Here's a link for you. Take the test, grab a whistle and see if you can do any better. Let me know when your 1st game is; I want to see how a pro does it.

Officiating Information | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

You do know that officials aren't assigned JUST girls or boys games during the season? They do a mixture of both.

Here's a link for you. Take the test, grab a whistle and see if you can do any better. Let me know when your 1st game is; I want to see how a pro does it.

Officiating Information | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

Does not address my second point!

Does not address my second point!

To your second point, no they don't. Officiating girls vs. boys requires that you change your mindset a bit. The game is slower but there are many more things that could be called and if you don't stay in tune with your partners to manage the game well, you could be there all night calling fouls, walks, handchecks, etc... The fans are a bit more over the top as well, IMO.

To your second point, no they don't. Officiating girls vs. boys requires that you change your mindset a bit. The game is slower but there are many more things that could be called and if you don't stay in tune with your partners to manage the game well,you could be there all night calling fouls, walks, handchecks, etc... The fans are a bit more over the top as well, IMO.

You just made my point for me! If its a foul, it should be called. If its a violation, it should be called. Its not up the official to decide which violations to whistle and which ones to let go!

You can spot a bad referee a mile away by 3 things: #1 They always come back with the "why don't you grab a whistle" whenever they are questioned or God forbid, be held accountable for their poor performance or lack of performance. #2 They pay attention more to the coaches and fans than they do to the game on the court. Recently saw game (film confirmed my account) where one referee was reporting a foul to the scorers table, one referee was chasing a loose ball and the third referee was staring in the stands pulling his pants up while 2 girls were shoving each other during the dead ball. None of them had a clue. #3 They wear a striped shirt.

Yes, I used to referee high school until I got tired of being stuck with clowns who didn't hustle and didn't know the rules. It's a given that we all have poor judgement. So I stuck with a college schedule until my knees gave out and my kids got older.

And yes there is a huge disparity between girls referees and boys referees (even though they are the same sometimes). The arrogance and ego of the predominantly male dominated basketball game is that refereeing a girls game is way beneath them when in actuality it is over their head in most cases.

You can spot a bad referee a mile away by 3 things: #1 They always come back with the "why don't you grab a whistle" whenever they are questioned or God forbid, be held accountable for their poor performance or lack of performance. #2 They pay attention more to the coaches and fans than they do to the game on the court. Recently saw game (film confirmed my account) where one referee was reporting a foul to the scorers table, one referee was chasing a loose ball and the third referee was staring in the stands pulling his pants up while 2 girls were shoving each other during the dead ball. None of them had a clue. #3 They wear a striped shirt.

Yes, I used to referee high school until I got tired of being stuck with clowns who didn't hustle and didn't know the rules. It's a given that we all have poor judgement. So I stuck with a college schedule until my knees gave out and my kids got older.

And yes there is a huge disparity between girls referees and boys referees (even though they are the same sometimes). The arrogance and ego of the predominantly male dominated basketball game is that refereeing a girls game is way beneath them when in actuality it is over their head in most cases.

LOL Thank goodness I'm not a ref; never have been. I just play one in the stands like everyone else.

You just made my point for me! If its a foul, it should be called. If its a violation, it should be called. Its not up the official to decide which violations to whistle and which ones to let go!

When you pass the test and get your 1st girls' game, you will think differently! LOL Good luck!

As fans I think that we want consistency. The game hasn't got physical just overnight. Its gotten rougher and rougher as the years have passed. Seeing more injuries now than ever. Was originally blaming it on kids playing year around, but now am thinking its because of how physical the game has gotten. I know all refs call things differently but they should determine how the game is going to be called in the first 2-3 mins of game. They have to set the precedence of how that particular game is going to be called not by what coach is griping, or keeping fouls even on scoreboard, or protecting the star players. Some teams play more physical and intense than others not always but most of the time will foul more with that type play. Not saying we could do any better but we are not the ones licensed and getting a paycheck either.

They all work both.

Girls has to be called different, if not you are going to be there for 4 hours and every player on the team might foul out.

So a coach has to adapt to a different rule book for every game? So be it if everybody fouls out! Just because they all work both, doesn't mean they are competent at both!

BTW, ever notice a difference between how male coaches are treated fom femaile coaches?

My motto when I officiated was "the most important game of the night is the one I'm getting ready to call." It didn't matter if it was the first game of the year between two bottom tier girls teams or the regional final or if it was at the smallest gym in the state or Rupp Arena. The kids I was officiating for that night had worked hard to prepare for the game and I felt like they deserved my best.

I don't think of myself as a rare breed when it comes to officials. I think a lot of officials have the same thought process that I did.

Ok, let it fly!

I watch film or video of games I felt the officiating was questionable in. 95% of the time it was worse than when we were frustrated in the first place No one expects a perfectly called game but be consistant on contact be consistent in what a walk is. And yes I have seen personally refs chatting with fans in the seats being sarcastic to them. To me the sign of a BAD ref and there are many is that exact thing. An ego to let everyone know they have the power of the whistle. I realize they are doing this because most need the second income but have pride in what you do. Id like to know how many go back and watch the film of calls in question and learn from them. Do they get evaluated by a person in charge of the crews. ? There is many good refs as well. Maybe we should post a thread of the good and bads 😀. Just kidding

So a coach has to adapt to a different rule book for every game? So be it if everybody fouls out! Just because they all work both, doesn't mean they are competent at both!

BTW, ever notice a difference between how male coaches are treated fom femaile coaches?

So now officials are sexist as well as incompetent? I bet you call a great game from the stands, my friend.