Quality of Officials Assigned to work Girls Game

So now officials are sexist as well as incompetent? I bet you call a great game from the stands, my friend.

Sorry. Lawildcat. I have noticed that as well. It May not be intentional but elder males successful coaches and woman get much more lead way and less ego.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch film or video of games I felt the officiating was questionable in. 95% of the time it was worse than when we were frustrated in the first place No one expects a perfectly called game but be consistant on contact be consistent in what a walk is. And yes I have seen personally refs chatting with fans in the seats being sarcastic to them. To me the sign of a BAD ref and there are many is that exact thing. An ego to let everyone know they have the power of the whistle. I realize they are doing this because most need the second income but have pride in what you do. Id like to know how many go back and watch the film of calls in question and learn from them. Do they get evaluated by a person in charge of the crews. ? There is many good refs as well. Maybe we should post a thread of the good and bads . Just kidding

The worst is when they are out of position and allow a coach or fan to influence a call. If you did'nt see it, admit it and look for help from another official before making the call! Making a definitive call when obviously out of position will lead to challenges to every call made. Admitting that you were out of position and did't see a call will lead to respect.

The worst is when they are out of position and allow a coach or fan to influence a call. If you did'nt see it, admit it and look for help from another official before making the call! Making a definitive call when obviously out of position will lead to challenges to every call made. Admitting that you were out of position and did't see a call will lead to respect.

See post #2. Click on link.

Honestly, we've played 5 games (15 refs) and I have not had an issue with one. HHS plays in you face, but they also move their feet and keep their hands off opposing teams. It's really kinda amazing they don't get in foul trouble as fast as they play and as much pressure they apply.

Yes, we have refs that call games differently. But if you think you're going to have consistency from game to game at the HS level, I have a bridge for you to look at! You are also going to have some refs that call things tight and others that "let you play". You also have some that are not good at calling some of the other things too...traveling, palming the ball, etc. But as long as they are consistent, I could care less. I have always taught my teams to control what you can. Don't worry about the other stuff. Adapt and move on.

Now if it gets overly one-sided, then that's a different story. But I rarely see that. But it happens. Heck, I've seen it happen to an opposing team at times and I've actually went up to the other coach and said "not sure what was going on, but we didn't want to win like that". Meaning that I felt they had some poor, inconsistent officiating on their behalf.

My Daughter is on her 4th year as a varsity player and really only one game sticks out for me. Three years ago at Mason Co. Other than that, I have no issues. Yes, I've seen some that could improve dramatically, but if they were bad, they were bad on both ends.

consistency is the magic word.

Also if your calling 50 fouls in a game then you are making the focus of the game about you. That's too much. Let the touch fouls go and call the no brainers.

Nobody wants to sit for 4 hours to watch one game. The best referees are the ones that you don't even notice.

You just made my point for me! If its a foul, it should be called. If its a violation, it should be called. Its not up the official to decide which violations to whistle and which ones to let go!

I could go with your argument for a while, but I think you are incorrect here. There is a rule book, it contains all the things you can and mostly things you cannot do. Game management is the key to working any game and you must match the management to the game. This includes specifically the level of quality of the play itself.

Girls games can be difficult to officiate because of the play quality and to an extent the officiating model gets a little subjective here. While it's easy to say a foul is a foul, girls games frequently contain a lot of play that is nothing more than a GI (Game Interrupter) and you have to assess how to manage that.

I don't necessarily agree that officials calling girls game are any more or less competent, however, they may be less focused because of the play. Officials are constantly evaluated, formally and informally.

I'm willing to bet the quality of officiating, of any game, of any gender, of most groups, is more dependent on the game quality than official competency.

A bad game is a bad game, and because it's frustrating for those watching, it's easier to lump in bad officiating as a cause.

I disagree with most of what is being said on here because it's just not reality when it comes to refereeing. Referees are bad, maybe 10-15% are pretty good. Most have never played the game, so they don't know the difference among skill, physical play and fouls. This leads to inconsistency. Hand check (which should be called EVERY TIME) is called out front but EVERY big girl inside gets brutalized with nothing called. Everybody is worried about 50 fouls a game, in most girls games I've seen, that's not near enough. Sometimes 100 need to be called. Most don't know the rules. As of yesterday almost 700 (over half of the licensed referees in the state) have not taken or passed their Part II on-line test. Game management is code word for I don't know how to referee so let try to make both coaches happy. And if having a couple of beers with your assignor while telling him how great a referee you are all the while he's telling you what a great referee he was is an evaluation, then I think you see the problem. And anybody that thinks that female coaches are not the victim of male chauvinism either has not been around very many girls games or is a man!

lawildcat, just to add gas to the fire, how tall (or short) are you and how tall (or short) is your daughter? I was guard when I played, and never understood why big people couldn't make put backs with 2-3 people hanging on them and beating on them. I agree with you, instead of calling a foul a foul and holding referees accountable, tell everybody to play tennis (tongue in cheek). That should fix bad referees.

lawildcat' date=' just to add gas to the fire, how tall (or short) are you and how tall (or short) is your daughter? I was guard when I played, and never understood why big people couldn't make put backs with 2-3 people hanging on them and beating on them. I agree with you, instead of calling a foul a foul and holding referees accountable, tell everybody to play tennis (tongue in cheek). That should fix bad referees.[/quote']

Brother, I don't have a dog in the fight. No kid on any team; no rose colored glasses.

I disagree with most of what is being said on here because it's just not reality when it comes to refereeing. Referees are bad, maybe 10-15% are pretty good. Most have never played the game, so they don't know the difference among skill, physical play and fouls. This leads to inconsistency. Hand check (which should be called EVERY TIME) is called out front but EVERY big girl inside gets brutalized with nothing called. Everybody is worried about 50 fouls a game, in most girls games I've seen, that's not near enough. Sometimes 100 need to be called. Most don't know the rules. As of yesterday almost 700 (over half of the licensed referees in the state) have not taken or passed their Part II on-line test. Game management is code word for I don't know how to referee so let try to make both coaches happy. And if having a couple of beers with your assignor while telling him how great a referee you are all the while he's telling you what a great referee he was is an evaluation, then I think you see the problem. And anybody that thinks that female coaches are not the victim of male chauvinism either has not been around very many girls games or is a man!

I don't like poor reffing as much as the next guy, but I also understand that it's HS basketball. In my day job, I have good days and bad days. And there are days I don't feel like being there. Most of these refs are doing this as a second job. They may not be at their best every night. That's just not reality. What I see is most all of them trying to do the right thing most of the time. Maybe they aren't the best and maybe some struggle way more than others. But there are new guys and legacy guys. I don't expect the new guy at my day job to be as seasoned as me! For the most part, they are try and if they are consistent, that's fine with me at the HS level. They may not all be as good as you. But I'm fine with that as long as they stay consistent. And I'm also a type of guy that cares less about the physical play. Every ref is going to be a little different. Adapt and play on. Control what you can control. Not a big deal really.

I don't like poor reffing as much as the next guy, but I also understand that it's HS basketball. In my day job, I have good days and bad days. And there are days I don't feel like being there. Most of these refs are doing this as a second job. They may not be at their best every night. That's just not reality. What I see is most all of them trying to do the right thing most of the time. Maybe they aren't the best and maybe some struggle way more than others. But there are new guys and legacy guys. I don't expect the new guy at my day job to be as seasoned as me! For the most part, they are try and if they are consistent, that's fine with me at the HS level. They may not all be as good as you. But I'm fine with that as long as they stay consistent. And I'm also a type of guy that cares less about the physical play. Every ref is going to be a little different. Adapt and play on. Control what you can control. Not a big deal really.

I agree.