Quality of Officials Assigned to work Girls Game

The one that they just can not get right is the Pro-Hop. I understand you rarely see it with girls but some will use it. It's leave with one land with two leave with one and they just freak out when a girl does it and blow the whistle 90% of the time until you take them aside during a time out and explain it to them.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is never a time that you do not have a pivot foot. On a jump step you essentially have 2 pivot feet and may not lift and replace either foot to the ground

correct only after dribbling the ball. A jump stop can be used after catching a pass (the post) and you still have the step option.

My point was that girls are capable of making these plays correctly but officials seem to be surprised by them and call travels 9 times out of 10!!

No, they get called more often on girls, simply because they don't pull these moves off correctly. A 7th boys game has better footwork than a JV Girls game.

No, they get called more often on girls, simply because they don't pull these moves off correctly. A 7th boys game has better footwork than a JV Girls game.

Who referenced JV Girls basketball??? And yes there are plenty of girls who can pull this off!! Probably not going to see any of these moves executed properly in a girls jv game because they are advanced moves and any girl who could execute them properly probably plays varsity!

Who referenced JV Girls basketball??? And yes there are plenty of girls who can pull this off!!

There are girls that can pull these moves off, you are correct. They are few and far between though. I was simply making a comparison between boys and girls. Sadly though I feel as if I may have given JV girls more credit than I should have.

There are girls that can pull these moves off, you are correct. They are few and far between though. I was simply making a comparison between boys and girls. Sadly though I feel as if I may have given JV girls more credit than I should have.

Just curious...do you get to watch much girls bball?

I don't like poor reffing as much as the next guy, but I also understand that it's HS basketball. In my day job, I have good days and bad days. And there are days I don't feel like being there. Most of these refs are doing this as a second job. They may not be at their best every night. That's just not reality. What I see is most all of them trying to do the right thing most of the time. Maybe they aren't the best and maybe some struggle way more than others. But there are new guys and legacy guys. I don't expect the new guy at my day job to be as seasoned as me! For the most part, they are try and if they are consistent, that's fine with me at the HS level. They may not all be as good as you. But I'm fine with that as long as they stay consistent. And I'm also a type of guy that cares less about the physical play. Every ref is going to be a little different. Adapt and play on. Control what you can control. Not a big deal really.

I agree.

You haven't worked with RCC9!

I know this is a thread about bashing the refs, but... How about some ref basher bashing...

I have to wonder if the fans even hear themselves sometimes.

Do those parents actually think the ref is going to stop the game, apologize for making the call with their eyes closed, and change the decision?

How should the ref respond to "are you freaking blind?"

"Why yes I am. The guide dog barked twice which means traveling, so I blew the whistle. I'll have to speak to his trainer after the game."

Friday night I watched a parent in the 2nd row, yelling, red faced, at the ref who couldn't have been more than 5 feet away.

Good or bad, you have to give the refs some credit for taking the abuse.

I know I wouldn't do it.

I hate travel calls on euro steps, pull over layups and spin moves that are not actual travels!!! Yes girls can pull these off!!

I with you on this one! Referees probably need to address and adapt with the improved skill sets many girls are displaying. It may not be done exactly like a boy, but many times it is still done correctly without a walk.