Has the overall talent level in Kentucky dropped recently?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talent level has dropped IMO.

I believe ALL regions were weaker than they were once before.

I saw minimal STAR players on the court at the sweet 16. Players of all teams really struggled to score. Ball handling which I thought was at a premium in the 16th region is also suspect statewide.

How many teams scored 20 points or more in the 1st quarter???

Division I players I saw??? Darious Miller probably, Trey Smith of South Laurel if he beefs up...he showed at 6'8" he can step out and shoot. But a lot of players need to get much stronger physically.

Also, hard for me to judge on limited time I've seen these kids play.

It's probably more likely you'll see Trey Smith playing baseball. He's a pretty good pitcher.

It sounds like quite a few agree that KY HS basketball talent is down.

What does that say about the effects of the incredible explosion of year round play with AAU & similar competition? Kids are basically committing to one sport year round to become great and this is the result? Does that mean it's just either you have natural talent or not? Are kids deluded by the allure of select/travel teams, etc. into thinking that they are super talented?

I can't seem to shake a concern that the whole dynamic of basketball participation & competition has changed because of this. Lets face it, there is a huge bribery, but_ kissing, and individualistic style component involved.

There have been comments here about style of play; is teamwork that hard to instill? Is HS coaching worse? Is there a compatibility problem between style of play between HS play & year round ball? Is there a "pull" on dedication/committment between HS and AAU coaches?

I think KY HS football has made an incredible leap in terms of talent. Why does that have to be mutually exclusive of basketball being good? Are kids having to committ to year round basketball instead of being multi-sport competitors during their formative years? A little research will reveal a long list of professional athletes who were better in something else during HS or just not that exceptional period in HS.

Cheers,

Woody Jr

I am asking for some help here. How many Kentucky high school seniors (boys) will get Division I scholarships this year? Am I correct in saying six?

Daniel Ard Murray State

Forrest Smallwood Butler

A.J. Slaughter Western Kentucky

Dan Penick Wright State

A'Darius Pegues Western Kentucky

Jay Ivey Middle Tennessee

I did not count Albert Jackson because he will not graduate from a KY HS.

How many Division I football players from Kentucky in the 2006 class? My guess is somewhere around 30 (I am counting Division I-A ala Western KY).

What were these figures like 25 years ago? I feel like there is a trend here......basketball is slipping and football is growing and thriving based on the numbers.

Wow! 6? I'd venture to say ther are plenty of cities in other states that have better #s than that. Football is king

The amount of football scholarships given far exceeds the number of basketball positions. I think that a lot of basketball coaches are shooting themselves in the foot by putting too much emphasis on year around bball. This makes a kid have to choose and if I am a 6'2 power forward with good athletic ability, or a 6'2 wr I would be choosing football as well. The chances of moving on to the next level are much more in your favor as a football player.

Thats why the year round AAU stuff drives me crazy :creepy:

We are turning teenagers into minature pro athletes and I'm guessing 99% of them are not getting much future gain from it. Using Lebron James, O J Mayo, etc as examples is just plain silly. In the past you could find pro athletes who were more-or-less HS stars in one sport yet developed into pros in another sport b/c they were playing multiple sports - NOT focusing on refining 1 sport specific skill set. We've got 12-13-14 year olds dropping everything to basically focus on 1 sport when their bodies aren't even developed then. How do they, or MORE importantly their parent(s) know what these kids are going to develop into? Parents need to quit listening to these "coaches" who tell them how good their kid is and what he/she can become if they focus on that sport - and usually with that coaches team:rolleyes:

This opinion will probably elicit lots of opposing comments by the other side but so be it :thumb:

Cheers, Woody Jr

Thats why the year round AAU stuff drives me crazy :creepy:

We are turning teenagers into minature pro athletes and I'm guessing 99% of them are not getting much future gain from it. Using Lebron James, O J Mayo, etc as examples is just plain silly. In the past you could find pro athletes who were more-or-less HS stars in one sport yet developed into pros in another sport b/c they were playing multiple sports - NOT focusing on refining 1 sport specific skill set. We've got 12-13-14 year olds dropping everything to basically focus on 1 sport when their bodies aren't even developed then. How do they, or MORE importantly their parent(s) know what these kids are going to develop into? Parents need to quit listening to these "coaches" who tell them how good their kid is and what he/she can become if they focus on that sport - and usually with that coaches team:rolleyes:

This opinion will probably elicit lots of opposing comments by the other side but so be it :thumb:

Cheers, Woody Jr

:thumb: :thumb:

You "hit the nail on the edge" so to speak. I am a proponent of AAU hoops. However, many kids rely to heavily on tourneys and play weekend after weekend in hopes of getting "exposure". Even many players modify their game to just score by shooting everytime or "snowbirding" or playing "ole'" defense in hopes of just getting the ball back to score or in many cases just shoot again even if its detrimental to their .

Players at the 12, 13, 14, DO NOT spend enough time at the gym, weight room, or track, honing in on the strengths and improving their weaknesses. They are losing whatever fundamentals that were taught by their school coaches and picking up only bad habits with weekend tourneys only.

There are some solid AAU coaches in Kentucky, but there are some not so good. The game has evolved. Kids in Kentucky are seemingly not developing their better young talent and these players are disappearing once they reach their varsity years. Kids need to set their priorities straight early on and learn the game and train. AAU tourneys should be secondary. Just a thought.