Has the overall talent level in Kentucky dropped recently?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big time IMO. There were very few players that stood out to me at this years sweet 16. Also in years past teams would throw down some dunks at the tourny but this year I witnessed maybe one legit dunk. I missed 1 session too tho.

I think this year was a case of the best teams advancing to Rupp...not necessarily the best players. How many of the KABC region player of the years made it to Rupp?

May be true, but the overall talent level (including the number of good teams) in this year's tournament was way down. Seems to me started slipping last year, but got worse this year.

Wasnt down too bad last year but dropped off big time this year.

I thought it was pretty down last year as well. South Laurel, no doubt, was a very good team. Several other really nice teams, but not the depth you see most years in the Sweet 16.

Overall - talent is down. I noticed it in the 8th region. While there are good players and even some great talent. Teams just did not have the whole package. I would say the top two teams in the region did make it to the finals. With talent being down - coaches have to coach to what they have.

I don't think the talent level has dropped so much. As the style of play and the way the games are being called. IMO they are not enough fouls being called in the paint area. Lot of banging around in the middle! Also the teams styles of play are total based on d-fense that no one can hardly score anymore. Look at some of the scores in the state tourney.......

Graves Co. 42

Russell 27

South Laurel 47

John Hardin 33

Apollo 57

Cov.Cath 53

Apollo 48

Mason Co. 36

Graves Co. 46

South Laurel 45

J-Town 54

Graves Co. 43

I don't want to stir the pot but pose this as a real, honest inquiry.

The statement about Prop 20 was that it would ruin the quality of football in this state. That further classification would ruin the quality of football in this state.

Yet, here we have this thread calling in the question of quality of talent in basketball, the sport we have NO CLASSIFICATION.

I am not trying to just be a thorn in the side of some. I follow and understand the football and quality argument but cannot balance that in my mind with the thought the quality of talent in KY in basketball is down, when we have no divisions.

Generally, this topic comes up every year. Two years ago when Central beat Mason, it was said that the talent level had dropped. IMO, the talent level as a whole has dropped consistently since 2000, it's nothing new now.

I agree you could even say since 1998 talent has went down.

Scott Co. won the title, and had at least 2 D-I players on that team. And they did not win it easy.

Talent level has dropped IMO.

I believe ALL regions were weaker than they were once before.

I saw minimal STAR players on the court at the sweet 16. Players of all teams really struggled to score. Ball handling which I thought was at a premium in the 16th region is also suspect statewide.

How many teams scored 20 points or more in the 1st quarter???

Division I players I saw??? Darious Miller probably, Trey Smith of South Laurel if he beefs up...he showed at 6'8" he can step out and shoot. But a lot of players need to get much stronger physically.

Also, hard for me to judge on limited time I've seen these kids play.

Yes overall talent is down and has been slipping over the last few years. But football talent in KY (on a national recruiting level) has been improving. Blame it on Tim Couch. He picked football as his number 1 sport and basketball as his number 2 and the state has never been the same (ha).