Graves Co. 46 South Laurel 45 OT

Like JayRay I didnt understand why Wright didnt go to a man defense. And although I dont think Wright should be slammed, I do think JayRay makes a valid point.

I really thought that SL could have handled Graves like PRP handled Boyle if they would have gotten into their man defense and pressured Graves. Seems like SL's man defense is their strong point. They can really pressure teams, and not just control the tempo of a game, but force the tempo when they go to that style. I dont know why SL didnt play that card.

However, like 4chs said, Wright knows WAY more about basketball then I do and I am sure he had his reasons.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had they played man-to-man, Cavette would've had an even bigger game. SL couldn't stop him at any time.

Maybe..... but he couldnt have had a much bigger game then he had with SL not playing man.

I'd rather see SL lose playing their strong card then lose not playing it.

SL can really suffocate and blow out teams when they play that style, but when they dont those same teams can play SL tough.

WOW!!! I'm glad your a SL fan, most teams win together and yet they lose together. Steve Wright is a heck of a coach he does not deserve to be publicly slammed like this, as well as the rest of the team as well.

SL just got beat by the better team today. (Maybe not the better team overall, but today). SL should build on this and come back and try again next year. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Was you there watching this game?I know people want to be politicaly correct but it is what it is,he blew it.He is a heck of a coach,probably the best in the state usually but today he could'nt see the obvious like the back door cut that they scored I bet 80% of there points on.Going to 2-3 or man would have stopped that easily.And neither team deserved to win today,this game was just ridiculous,but yes Graves forced the stand-still tempo and took advantage of it and won the game.

Absolutely, Cavette has been a hothead all year and look in crunch time he gets to questionable calls on fouls and doesn't complain or act out!

I like the way the way this team is coming together, and this is the way Hatcher will adjust to the opponents style of play...

SL's coach is a dang good one and any other comments are just foolish and ignorant! Graves's outside shooting & rebounding had alot to do with what style SL played.

JayRaySl, think about this Graves has like 18 turnovers, it could have been worse for SL!

Had they played man-to-man, Cavette would've had an even bigger game. SL couldn't stop him at any time.

Most of Cavette's points were on that obvious back-door cut.Not to mention they had Cavette with 4 fouls and would'nt take it to him and foul him out.Plus I did'nt see 1 player beat South by himself all year.There was just so many things that were so obvious that would have changed this game yet he keeps playing that 1-3-1.Most of all I hate it for those kids,they deserved so much better than to get beat by this team.:cry:

Absolutely, Cavette has been a hothead all year and look in crunch time he gets to questionable calls on fouls and doesn't complain or act out!

I like the way the way this team is coming together, and this is the way Hatcher will adjust to the opponents style of play...

SL's coach is a dang good one and any other comments are just foolish and ignorant! Graves's outside shooting & rebounding had alot to do with what style SL played.

JayRaySl, think about this Graves has like 18 turnovers, it could have been worse for SL!

I know he is a great coach but he was far from it today.Outside shooting????What did they hit 1 maybe 2 threes.I'm telling you,look it up Graves scored the majority of there points on that one play.That back-door cut.But in none of these threads did I say Wright was'nt a great coach,what I said is he was horrible today and if you were there you could'nt disagree or you don't understand the fundamentals of basketball.As far as the ignorant comment,I would keep those to myself,for I was banned for using the same word.But no hard feelings.Can't offend me

Graves outside shooting is good........ but it isnt the best, and would not have been great against SL's man.

Also...... I would rather take my chances of Graves beating me with a low percentage shot, then get beat with the back doot cut that they scored most of their points on.

If Graves outside shooting started to hurt SL they could have always backed off.

Again I have to agree with JayRay on this point. But I do think he is being a bit harsh on Wright.

People,people...I know Wright is a great coach and a better person but all I am doing is pointing out accountability.Every team that loses a game in any sport has a reason for losing that game.If you was there and had to hold something accountable for losing what would it be?There is 5 kids on that court that are all great players so Walt having a bad game would'nt affect the outcome..true?The Graves players did'nt beat South one on one either it was the style of the game and the same play being run with success over and over.All of those factors are out of the players hands,all they can do is run what there told...true.So who does that bring us back to?the coach.I don't care if it was pitino,Im just saying that all of the things that beat them was in the coaches hands and he would'nt get away from the same defense.If I do a good job at work than I am told "good job".But If I screw something up real bad I get ripped for it like I should.It's accountability.He was the best coach in KY all season long for the most part but he was'nt today.Thats all I'm saying,so please.....chill.

It's just a crying shame that kids this good on and off the court have there season ended by a team this bad because of horrible,horrible coaching by wright.For some reason wright was content with letting Graves hold the ball until everyone fell asleep and let them have the back-door cut every time.(and if you was there I mean every time!)He would'nt get out of the 1-3-1 at all when he had the much better size and athletes.Also,poor Walt Allen was just awfull today for some reason.I mean he missed at least 3 uncontested lay-ups and I dont know how many free throws and Wright would'nt put Riley in to replace him.By no means am I complaining about the loss,but I am just completely in shock about how bad Wright handled this game.If South plays 2-3 or man-to-man I dont believe it's close.You would just have to have been there to fully understand how bad this was.If they dont put a shot clock in,every team in the state will start running this North Carolina 4 corners garbage that Graves ran and hold the ball the whole game because they know thats the only chance they have.But all in all I just hate that Walt had his worst game ever in his last game with South and that Wright just took the game away from his own kids.But on the other hand Shelby or J-town owes us one now for the cake walk to Sat.:mad:

Please give Graves County credit. They're one of the most prepared and hardest working teams in the state. Do you realize they were in their motel watching game film at 11:00PM? They take pride in knowing what the other team runs and tries dilligently to stop their butts! They've given up 27 and 45 points in their two sweet sixteen games, and the largest amount of points they've given up in the postseason is 47 to St. Mary. On top of their hardnosed defense, they have so many plays in their playbook that it's ridiculous. The amount of knowledge and the time put in is enormous for high school kids. Their job isn't to entertain the fans in the crowd but to win ballgames and thusfar, they've succeeded.

Yeah, JayRaySL...it wasn't really directed at you, and I know you are upset now at their performace today sorry if I came across harsh. However, I don't think that Graves County is getting their due.

Graves Co. clearly made some dumb mistakes that turned the ball over, yet they held SL's best player to 0....points in the first half. Every time SL would make a run someone from Graves would hit a 3 or short jumper... was what I was implying I will say that back door cuts and putbacks was clearly what the Eagles coaching staff knew would be somewhat successful.

SL's coach should have changed his gameplan, b/c anyone who knows Graves County at all knew they would hold their ball on their hip the entire quarter if needed til they got a backdoor or layup. Frankly, I was surprised they didn't hold it more.

1stregionking---you are soo right, it is their life and I bet Hatcher and Co. work 60 hrs a week during the season! Love em or hate em they have played well as of late!

I know he is a great coach but he was far from it today.Outside shooting????What did they hit 1 maybe 2 threes.I'm telling you,look it up Graves scored the majority of there points on that one play.That back-door cut.But in none of these threads did I say Wright was'nt a great coach,what I said is he was horrible today and if you were there you could'nt disagree or you don't understand the fundamentals of basketball.As far as the ignorant comment,I would keep those to myself,for I was banned for using the same word.But no hard feelings.Can't offend me

Couldn't the team be held accountable for this also? If they failed to recognize the same play 80% of the time... that seems to me that they were outsmarted on the floor, not the sidelines.

Yeah, JayRaySL...it wasn't really directed at you, and I know you are upset now at their performace today sorry if I came across harsh. However, I don't think that Graves County is getting their due.

Graves Co. clearly made some dumb mistakes that turned the ball over, yet they held SL's best player to 0....points in the first half. Every time SL would make a run someone from Graves would hit a 3 or short jumper... was what I was implying I will say that back door cuts and putbacks was clearly what the Eagles coaching staff knew would be somewhat successful.

SL's coach should have changed his gameplan, b/c anyone who knows Graves County at all knew they would hold their ball on their hip the entire quarter if needed til they got a backdoor or layup. Frankly, I was surprised they didn't hold it more.

1stregionking---you are soo right, it is their life and I bet Hatcher and Co. work 60 hrs a week during the season! Love em or hate em they have played well as of late!

Thats exactly what I'm saying.He knew(even on the last possesion)that was what they was looking for every time down the court as long he kept running that 1-3-1 because It was working so why stop.Im just saying myself among hundreds around me realized this and he should have also.The back-door cut is easy to stop but you have to be willing to give something else up like the 3.Also the man to man keeps teams from holding the ball but he would'nt change that either.By no means am I taking a single thing from the Graves kids,they executed there game plan and won with it.But wright had to see what they were doing and I just can't comprehend why he did'nt switch up defense.I'm not upset at the loss,it's the way they lost.

You can be as harsh as you want with me I have thick skin.LOL:lol:

Couldn't the team be held accountable for this also? If they failed to recognize the same play 80% of the time... that seems to me that they were outsmarted on the floor, not the sidelines.

No,because the 1-3-1 allows you to drive and when the defense collapses then the cutters will more than likely be open.They definately recognized the play because they seen it every time down the court.But If the D isnt designed to stop that play then who's responsible to change that?...Thats right,the coach

Like JayRay I didnt understand why Wright didnt go to a man defense. And although I dont think Wright should be slammed, I do think JayRay makes a valid point.

I really thought that SL could have handled Graves like PRP handled Boyle if they would have gotten into their man defense and pressured Graves. Seems like SL's man defense is their strong point. They can really pressure teams, and not just control the tempo of a game, but force the tempo when they go to that style. I dont know why SL didnt play that card.

However, like 4chs said, Wright knows WAY more about basketball then I do and I am sure he had his reasons.

I can count on one hand the times SL has played straight man-to-man over the last few seasons. They play almost exclusively a 2-3 matchup zone rotating into a 1-3-1 trap. You guys calling for a man-to-man defense don't even know what you are looking for.

I can count on one hand the times SL has played straight man-to-man over the last few seasons. They play almost exclusively a 2-3 matchup zone rotating into a 1-3-1 trap. You guys calling for a man-to-man defense don't even know what you are looking for.

I am not saying that they do so alot. I am just saying that the times they do do so they usually suffocated teams and ended up blowing them out.

They have played a straight man-to-man defense on several occasions this season. They do not do so exclusively, but they do take advantage of this style from time to time.