Graves Co. 46 South Laurel 45 OT

A lot of coaches don't like to call the timeout in that situation, preferring not to give the other team a chance to set its defense. Given the experience South Laurel puts on the court, it's a good bet that Steve Wright trusts his team to execute in such situations.

I understand that, but if you watched the game that I did, SL looked very disoriented while attempting to get off that last shot in regulation. SL had the better talent on the floor, I think calling a set play might have worked out a little better for them.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: JayRay, I don't want to be rude, but you may be the worst sore loser I have seen on here. I know you guys expected to walk right into the finals again, but you didn't. You got beat by a very good team. Just because you don't like their style of play doesn't mean they are bad. Yes, you did refer to Graves Co. as "a team this bad". Graves Co. may run a boring ball controlled offense, but they are far from bad. They are 29-5 and have beat alot of very good teams including yours, so get over it. You keep harping on your coach and the defense he called, but here are some other questions for you to ponder. Why did Walt get outplayed by Cavette? Why did you guys get abused on the boards? Why couldn't such a "superior" team like SL control the tempo once they got the ball? I'm sure all of your jabs at Graves Co. are coming out of shear frustration (just like your team's frustration on the court), but you need to give some credit where it is due. Your team was great but it is over now.

All of your questions can be answered with one answer.....gameplan.Ummm....let me think who comes up with the game plan?Oh yeah the coaches!!!As far as being a sore loser,I'm not one of these die-hard highschool b-ball gurus that live and die by this I just think that Graves plays the worst style of ball to hit the basketball court.(Cowards ball)I just wish people on here would develope there own opinions and say what they feel.Once a couple of people pile on the same opinion everyone else is scared to voice there REAL opinion.It's just funny that after that game everyone was complaining about the same things I am on here but now everyone is all politicaly correct and afraid to get piled on by other team supporters.I personally don't care what anyone says about MY OPINION,Im going to voice it and I'll argue with all day if need be.If your right I'll be the first to admit it,if I feel I'm right I'm not going to tuck my tail and bow down to the politicaly correct like alot of people on here.Oh yeah I did'nt get to see the J-town-Graves game but what kind of defense did J-town play?:laugh:

All of your questions can be answered with one answer.....gameplan.Ummm....let me think who comes up with the game plan?Oh yeah the coaches!!!As far as being a sore loser,I'm not one of these die-hard highschool b-ball gurus that live and die by this I just think that Graves plays the worst style of ball to hit the basketball court.(Cowards ball)I just wish people on here would develope there own opinions and say what they feel.Once a couple of people pile on the same opinion everyone else is scared to voice there REAL opinion.It's just funny that after that game everyone was complaining about the same things I am on here but now everyone is all politicaly correct and afraid to get piled on by other team supporters.I personally don't care what anyone says about MY OPINION,Im going to voice it and I'll argue with all day if need be.If your right I'll be the first to admit it,if I feel I'm right I'm not going to tuck my tail and bow down to the politicaly correct like alot of people on here.Oh yeah I did'nt get to see the J-town-Graves game but what kind of defense did J-town play?:laugh:
Yes, your coach should have switched up defenses, but WAKE-UP because guess what dude, being killed on the boards is NOT gameplan, having your big man severely shutdown is NOT gameplan, having nobody other than Proffit step-up offensively is NOT gameplan. These things are called "being outplayed and beaten!!" The reason I am getting on your case is because you say that Graves Co.'s style of play is horribe and you say that Graves Co. has a bad team. Well, that bad team and horrible play sent your almighty cardinals packing early. Everyone thought SL and PRP had it made, but I guess somebody forgot to tell their opponents to lie down and give it to them. How about you drop the excuses, the blaming and the lack of respect. I know it hurts to admit that you guys just got flat-out beat, but you had a good season none-the-less. By the way, of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is silly.

I'm sure I will ruffle some feathers with this, but it's clear that Walt Allen isn't the best player in the state and shouldn't be Mr. Basketball.

Last season, Allen was the third best player on his team behind Fields and Proffitt. Without Fields in the post to take some heat off of him, Allen is far less effective on the block against many quality teams. Even with some "Mr. Basketball treatment" from the officials and some generous calls in the second half (Cavette's phantom fourth foul, for example), Allen was never a big factor in the game.

Allen is a great kid, obviously ... how many kids would lead the prayer circle after he played poorly and his team was upset while chasing another state title in the final game of his career? He's also a very good player, but he's not the best player in the state.

If we can adhere to Roberts Rules of Order then I'll second that!!!

Giving credit where credit is due, he did have a fantastic tournament last year and that cannot be taken away from him. However, the times that I saw SL play I did'nt even remember him playing until the State Tourney. He has had a nice season this year as well but Fields made that team clique. Then Proffitt and Hammonds I believe was the other kid. (Not for sure if name and correct spelling). There are numerous players around the state that are more deserving of Mr. Basketball. It's just because of all of the hype from the tourney last year that he has even received the press coverage that he has.

Yes, your coach should have switched up defenses, but WAKE-UP because guess what dude, being killed on the boards is NOT gameplan, having your big man severely shutdown is NOT gameplan, having nobody other than Proffit step-up offensively is NOT gameplan. These things are called "being outplayed and beaten!!" The reason I am getting on your case is because you say that Graves Co.'s style of play is horribe and you say that Graves Co. has a bad team. Well, that bad team and horrible play sent your almighty cardinals packing early. Everyone thought SL and PRP had it made, but I guess somebody forgot to tell their opponents to lie down and give it to them. How about you drop the excuses, the blaming and the lack of respect. I know it hurts to admit that you guys just got flat-out beat, but you had a good season none-the-less. By the way, of course you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is silly.

For the record Proffitt wasnt the only player for SL to step up. Trey Smith also played a heck of a ball game.

Was you there watching this game?I know people want to be politicaly correct but it is what it is,he blew it.He is a heck of a coach,probably the best in the state usually but today he could'nt see the obvious like the back door cut that they scored I bet 80% of there points on.Going to 2-3 or man would have stopped that easily.And neither team deserved to win today,this game was just ridiculous,but yes Graves forced the stand-still tempo and took advantage of it and won the game.

Graves Co. did deserve to Win!! They played their game, if you don't like it I guess that is you're problem. No one has had a problem with Coach Wright the past several years playing the same defense while he was winning games. Now, one game it does'nt work and it becomes all wrong. Maybe when Coach decides that his time/work is done at SL then maybe with all of your credentials (:jump: ) the school will hire you!!

For the record Proffitt wasnt the only player for SL to step up. Trey Smith also played a heck of a ball game.
Yes he did and let me apologize for ignoring him. I think you get my point though. JayRay is harping on one aspect of the game and doesn't seem to have the ability to recognize that Graves controlled this game. Calling Graves Co. "bad" is not only disrespectful to the Eagles team, but also to SL. What does that say about his own team if he says they got beat by a "bad" team with a "horrible" style of play. That is a slap in the face to the SL players and their coach, but what can you expect from an "upper-deck expert". He was mouthing before the game and he still is. The difference is that before the game he was predicting "the beating of all beatings". Now he is trying his hardest to find an excuse for why SL is done.

If we can adhere to Roberts Rules of Order then I'll second that!!!

Giving credit where credit is due, he did have a fantastic tournament last year and that cannot be taken away from him. However, the times that I saw SL play I did'nt even remember him playing until the State Tourney. He has had a nice season this year as well but Fields made that team clique. Then Proffitt and Hammonds I believe was the other kid. (Not for sure if name and correct spelling). There are numerous players around the state that are more deserving of Mr. Basketball. It's just because of all of the hype from the tourney last year that he has even received the press coverage that he has.

WOW!

You must not have followed SL very much last season if the only time you heard of or remembered Allen playing was during the State Tourney. What he did in the state tourney last year he did all season last year. Any person who follows SL basketball could tell you that.

The only reason it took a State Tourney run and Championship for Allen to get the press and "hype" he so deserved was because SL is not centralized in Lexington or Louisville, and therefore he didnt get the state wide press that alot of other players get and that Allen deserved all season. The reason Allen will win Mr. Basketball may be because of the "hype," but ya know what, he EARNED that "hype" and therefore if he wins Mr. Basketball it means he EARNED that title as well, and that means he is DESERVING.

Allen followed up an unbelievable junior year with an impressive senior year, and to ignore that because Allen played 1 bad game in the state tourney is a joke.

Fields was not the key to last years team, the duo of Fields and Allen was the key. Take Allen away and Fields was stoppable, take Fields away and Allen was stoppable. No one player was the key to SL's success last year. That was and is the beautiful thing about SL, they were the epitomy of the word TEAM.

That is the reason SL is such a great TEAM. As great as Allen was and is, there are other players on his team that can play just as great if called upon. Sure Proffitt and Hammonds and Smith, and Fields last season, were all great players and Allen may not have been the best player out of them all, but he did PLAY the best of all of them. You dont neccessarily have to be the best player on a team to play the best, and Allen played the best when it mattered, and that is what counts.

Basketball is a team sport and anyone can easily blow off Allen's accomplishments as attributable to the great supporting cast that he has, but that is a copout. You could do that with any Mr. Basketball candidate.

Allen may not be D1, he may not have mind blowing stats, he may not look the part, he may not be the most athletic, he may not be the most talented, he may not be the "best" on paper, he may not be the best shooter or ball handler, he may be the product of a great TEAM............. but ya know what.............. something Mr. Allen will most be is Mr. Basketball, so deal with it.

Sure there are alot of deserving players, but to say that there are players MORE deserving then Walt Allen is laughable. Something Allen has done that all those other "more deserving" Mr. Basketball candidates didnt do....... lead his team to the state championship and win the big one. I always thought the game of basketball, just like any sport, was about WINNING. If being a winner, on and off the court, is the criterion for winning Mr. Basketball, then there is no other player in the state more deserving then Walt Allen.

Yes he did and let me apologize for ignoring him. I think you get my point though. JayRay is harping on one aspect of the game and doesn't seem to have the ability to recognize that Graves controlled this game. Calling Graves Co. "bad" is not only disrespectful to the Eagles team, but also to SL. What does that say about his own team if he says they got beat by a "bad" team with a "horrible" style of play. That is a slap in the face to them and their coach, but what can you expect from an "upper-deck expert".

I totally understand what you are saying, and dont neccessarily disagree.

I was just giving credit where credit was due.

Proffitt and Smith played huge. If Allen or Hammonds could have stepped up it probably would have been a different game.

Graves kept those players in check though, and did "outplay" SL and are deserving of the win.

I agree with JayRay in that SL should have switched it up, and I do think that if they would have the ball game may have turned out differently.

However, Coach Wright knows a lot more then I do, and he had his reasons. Did he get outcoached..... maybe, maybe not. Only he and his staff knows that.

I think the gameplan Coach Wright had would have worked just fine had Allen and Hammonds stepped up.

You cant blame Wright for SL shooting terribly from the line, or for wide open missed lay ups, or for not hitting the final shot to win it in regulation. You also cant blame Wright for SL getting outrebouded. Rebounding is about hustle and desire.

Graves wanted it more and it showed IMO.

Jamie King played against taller bigger competition the past few days and outplayed most of them.... He was Graves key player despite Cavette most likely being their "best" player... SL had a great team, but in the end Walt Allen's seemingly absence was what killed them... Smith carried them through regulation and Proffit put them on his back during OT, but just didn't get the last one to fall after a spectacular pass by Cavette... I do question why SL didn't take a TO at the end, but that is the only thing I question... Graves county made a great run and had a great team but simply was out athleted today... When they played their game against a team with similar athletes, the better team won...

Not at all. If Allen is wearing the #1 jersey, I'll simply believe the wrong player won the award ... it's happened before.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I really hope he is wearing that #1 jersey, and I hope he scores about 30 against Indiana so you will finally shut up your endless babble about how Allen isnt a deserving Mr. Basketball candidate.

I hear crying from my baby cousin...... its ashame I have to hear it from a BGP poster.

I just think that Graves plays the worst style of ball to hit the basketball court.(Cowards ball) I did'nt get to see the J-town-Graves game but what kind of defense did J-town play?:laugh:

I personally don't think the kids from Graves Co. played like cowards. They like to control tempo just like SL does. Is SL's style of ball any more exciting than Graves Co.? Are you kidding me? If Graves Co. are cowards what does that make SL.

Graves gave J town all they wanted and had they hit some shots down the stretch they would have had a chance.

J town played alot of 2-2-1 full court press. Yes they did play some man to man.

In my opinion a coward can't deal with losing.

As Rudyard Kipling said

"If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those two imposters the same.............you'll be a man my son"

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I really hope he is wearing that #1 jersey, and I hope he scores about 30 against Indiana so you will finally shut up your endless babble about how Allen isnt a deserving Mr. Basketball candidate.

I hear crying from my baby cousin...... its ashame I have to hear it from a BGP poster.

It seems you're the one taking it personally ... quit crying yourself.

If you don't like my opinion ... tough.

It seems you're the one taking it personally ... quit crying yourself.

If you don't like my opinion ... tough.

I never said I wasnt taking it personally.

I dont mind your opinion. You are entitled to think what you would like.

However, it does bother me that instead of just stating your opinion about who you think should win Mr. Basketball on a Mr. Basketball thread, you go out of your way to hijack a thread that isnt even about Mr. Basketball, and then proceed to kick a kid who is already down after the worst peformance of his career.

You then state that because of 1 poor performance he isnt Mr. Basketball material..... like a HS kid cant play 1 bad game. :rolleyes: I guess Slaughter or whoever you think should win it has NEVER had a bad game. You refuse to acknowledge the great career Allen has had and the fact that Allen is a "serious" candidate, and instead you act like his name shouldnt even be mentioned.

Like I said........ its gonna be great day when Mr. Allen steps onto the court representing OUR state as Mr. Basketball, has the #1 jersey on, and lays about 20+ on Indiana.

I imagine when Allen does this, I will have the same feeling towards you that I had when Madison Central and Mason made it to the Elite 8. 2 teams that according to you, werent any good. :D

Have a nice day!