Graves Co. 46 South Laurel 45 OT

However, it does bother me that instead of just stating your opinion about who you think should win Mr. Basketball on a Mr. Basketball thread, you go out of your way to hijack a thread that isnt even about Mr. Basketball, and then proceed to kick a kid who is already down after the worst peformance of his career.
This thread is about the South Laurel-Graves County game ... Allen played in the game, so how are my comments irrelevant?

You then state that because of 1 poor performance he isnt Mr. Basketball material..... like a HS kid cant play 1 bad game.
I held my opinion before the South Laurel-Graves game, and I stand by it.

You refuse to acknowledge the great career Allen has had and the fact that Allen is a "serious" candidate, and instead you act like his name shouldnt even be mentioned.
That's your assessment of my position ... I've never said anything of the sort.

I imagine when Allen does this, I will have the same feeling towards you that I had when Madison Central and Mason made it to the Elite 8. 2 teams that according to you, werent any good.
Never said they weren't any good ... just stated that I didn't think they were as good as you felt they were. Their Sweet 16 performances typified their up-and-down seasons.

If you want to criticize my statements, fine, but please describe them accurately.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I talked to a guy that is very close to the team(statkeeper) before this game and he was definitely looking ahead to Shelby county.( which also went down early) IMO S laurel overlooked this team and graves took a very well designed game plan and pulled off one of the biggest, most disciplined upsets of the whole tourney.

I held my opinion before the South Laurel-Graves game, and I stand by it.

That's your assessment of my position ... I've never said anything of the sort.

If you want to criticize my statements, fine, but please describe them accurately.

You criticize me for not interpreting your opinion of Mr. Allen correctly..... but you might want to go back and read your last post. Now see if you can follow me here. I will go as slow as possible.

1.) In point 2 of your last post you state that your opinion is, as I stated, "That Allen isn't Mr. Basketball material," and that that has been your opinion even before the Graves game. You dont explicitly state that Allen isn't Mr. Basketball material, but by recognizing this through my statement as your opinion, and then stating that you stand by this opinion, you have in essence, said that your opinion is that Mr. Allen isn't Mr. Basketball material.

2.) Then in point 3 of your post you go on to say that my assessment of your opinion, which is that "Allen isn't a serious candidate and doesnt deserve mentioning," isnt correct and that you have never said that.

3.) Yet in point 2 you state that your opinion is, as I stated, that "Allen isn't Mr. Basketball material." (See point 1 of this thread to understand how you said this)

4.) Please explain to me how saying your opinion that "Allen isn't Mr. Basketball material" is any different from saying that "Mr. Allen isn't a serious candidate and doesnt deserve mentioning."

Its funny you think Allen isnt Mr. Basketball material, but about 90% of the state does. Your opinion may be that Allen isnt Mr. Basketball material, but its a bad opinion, especially if you base it upon 1 game. That opinion may have been your opinion the whole time, but up until now you have had no real reason to think that. He plays one bad game and you think your opinion is proved correct. Please :rolleyes:

Also.....You are right..... it is about the thread is about the Graves game....... Allen played in the game, and if you want to criticize Allen about his performance, then go right ahead ...... if you want to go so far as to say he isnt Mr. Basketball material then save it for the Mr. Basketball thread.

I understand that, but if you watched the game that I did, SL looked very disoriented while attempting to get off that last shot in regulation. SL had the better talent on the floor, I think calling a set play might have worked out a little better for them.

Not disoriented....they had the ball in the hands of the guy that was feeling it the last 4 times down the floor... the chest pounder, the hot dog... the guy who is an awesome 6'5 point guard who just couldnt pull it off one last time. Give credit to Graves.... they persevered and it was one of the greatest high school games I have ever seen live.

SL's 1-3-1 defense was nasty... 6'5, 6'9, 6'5 out front......that was nasty. They pressure you all over the floor and the backdoor was open all day for the King kid. He did a wonderful job of getting his shots off quickly and converting. My 10 yr old son said that he had the biggest heart on the floor.....he was 6'0 180 playing with trees.....

Awesome game.... class act by the Allen kid to pull everyone together at midcourt after a tough emotional defeat and give what seemed like a sermon.....my only question is why didnt the SL coaching staff participate in that? Is that normal or do you just think they were so upset with the loss they were in shock and didnt react?

Not disoriented....they had the ball in the hands of the guy that was feeling it the last 4 times down the floor... the chest pounder, the hot dog... the guy who is an awesome 6'5 point guard who just couldnt pull it off one last time. Give credit to Graves.... they persevered and it was one of the greatest high school games I have ever seen live.

SL's 1-3-1 defense was nasty... 6'5, 6'9, 6'5 out front......that was nasty. They pressure you all over the floor and the backdoor was open all day for the King kid. He did a wonderful job of getting his shots off quickly and converting. My 10 yr old son said that he had the biggest heart on the floor.....he was 6'0 180 playing with trees.....

Awesome game.... class act by the Allen kid to pull everyone together at midcourt after a tough emotional defeat and give what seemed like a sermon.....my only question is why didnt the SL coaching staff participate in that? Is that normal or do you just think they were so upset with the loss they were in shock and didnt react?

Proffitt is 6'3, and I wouldnt call him a hot dog. He is very much an ice man.

Hammonds is 6'3

Allen is 6'4, maybe 6'5

The coaching staff stays out of that normally, as they should. It should be student led....... but I know Wright has no problem with it, and probably encourages it.

I guess the program lied then..... and Trey Smith is 6'9... he may weigh a buck o five... but he was the guy out front on the zone. I know Allen is 6'4... he looked every bit of it. Hammonds is taller than that.....I would say and he is a big body. They will be back next year defiinitely.

I only asked about the coaching staff because the Graves coaches joined in.... after that win.... I guess I would have joined in as well.

I guess the program lied then..... and Trey Smith is 6'9... he may weigh a buck o five... but he was the guy out front on the zone. I know Allen is 6'4... he looked every bit of it. Hammonds is taller than that.....I would say and he is a big body. They will be back next year defiinitely.

I only asked about the coaching staff because the Graves coaches joined in.... after that win.... I guess I would have joined in as well.

Programs have a tendency to do that.

Trey Smith is absolutely 6'9 and Allen is 6'4, I never said he wasnt. I even said he might be 6'5.

Proffitt and Hammonds are both 6'3. Hammonds might be 6'4, but I doubt it.

I have stood next to both of those boys and at 6'1 they arent much taller than myself. About 2 inches.

Its funny you think Allen isnt Mr. Basketball material, but about 90% of the state does.
And the majority isn't always right ...
Your opinion may be that Allen isnt Mr. Basketball material, but its a bad opinion, especially if you base it upon 1 game. That opinion may have been your opinion the whole time, but up until now you have had no real reason to think that. He plays one bad game and you think your opinion is proved correct. Please :rolleyes:
I saw Allen in last year's state tournament and three times this year, and my opinion hasn't changed. He's a fine high school player and obviously a wonderful kid, but he's not the best player in the state.

And the majority isn't always right ...I saw Allen in last year's state tournament and three times this year, and my opinion hasn't changed. He's a fine high school player and obviously a wonderful kid, but he's not the best player in the state.

He doesnt have to be the best player in the state. He doesnt even have to look good playing. He just has to be the best HS senior in the state.

As someone who has traveled the state this year and watched numerous games, I rank Allen as the fourth best senior player I've seen. I've seen A.J. Slaughter play five times and feel he is the best player in the state. PRP's Vincent Crutcher and Eastern's Robert Buckner are close behind Slaughter. I watched Allen play all four games in the state tournament last year and have seen him four times this year. He ranks behind the other three I mentioned, barely edging out Owensboro Catholic's Jay Ivey.

UKBellCo. How many of these players have you seen play? Allen and who else? If you haven't seen all five play, you can't say with any credibility that Allen is the best player in the state. He's just the best player YOU'VE seen play this year. And Allen may score 20 on Indiana, but it will likely be 20 in both games combined. I'm not sure why you're taking this one personal. From what I've read on here, I'd say westsider has seen as much if not more basketball games than anyone else on BGP. When comes to evaluating players and teams, he is to high school basketball what letabrotherspeak is to UK basketball -- usually dead on accurate.