How to get recruited for D-1 football

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ram May I ask where he attended? If not, what state the institution was in?

He attended Raceland and will be playing at Georgetown College. He received a lot of interest from East Coast Schools a Few Small D1's in Kentucky and North Carolina, Several D2's in West Virginia, Minnesota, New York, New Jersey, a lot NAIA all of the Kentucky NAIA's and some from Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, New York, Arkansas, Illinois and Indiana. And virtually all the D3's in the North-Eastern part of the country. And emails and other minor contacts from a lot of other schools.

the NCAA requires each Division III school to report how much money it gives to students who play sports and how much money it gives to nonathletes. Those numbers show that athletes at Division III schools, on average, aren't getting significantly more money than nonathletes. Sports players make up 21 percent of the student body at Division III schools, he said. In recent years, the NCAA has found that athletes receive 22 percent of all the scholarship dollars handed out by Division III schools.

I've stayed away from this thread for a while, but I've seen the word/phrase "shown interest" thrown around by a few.

(For the record, Ram, I've seen your son on film. He was/is going to be a player. As a former NAIA player myself here in the last 10-15 years, I can tell you that it is some VERY good football. Some think any regular joe who falls off a truck can play NAIA..in any sport at that level, and that's just not the case.)

As someone who played at both levels, who was granted full ride scholarships at the Division 1 and NAIA levels (went to two schools), let me define what "interest" from a school (s) really is:

1) Head coaches or coach on a school(s) staff CALLING you, HANDWRITING letters to you (or in this day in age, also texting), coming to your GAMES in person (in my case, I had some come to my HS football games and basketball games

Now, if those things were/are being done..then, there is general interest (I'm talking ANY level).....if all that is being received are general typed up letters. Take a number and get in line.

I've stayed away from this thread for a while, but I've seen the word/phrase "shown interest" thrown around by a few.

(For the record, Ram, I've seen your son on film. He was/is going to be a player. As a former NAIA player myself here in the last 10-15 years, I can tell you that it is some VERY good football. Some think any regular joe who falls off a truck can play NAIA..in any sport at that level, and that's just not the case.)

As someone who played at both levels, who was granted full ride scholarships at the Division 1 and NAIA levels (went to two schools), let me define what "interest" from a school (s) really is:

1) Head coaches or coach on a school(s) staff CALLING you, HANDWRITING letters to you (or in this day in age, also texting), coming to your GAMES in person (in my case, I had some come to my HS football games and basketball games

Now, if those things were/are being done..then, there is general interest (I'm talking ANY level).....if all that is being received are general typed up letters. Take a number and get in line.

Completely agree. 95% of recruiting literature is pure garbage sent by unpaid GAs justifying their existence.

But what is serious interest differs among schools. The school that was most interested in my son only sent a couple letter and none of those hand written. Other schools have called and are more aggressive but for now have showed nothing else.

But what is serious interest differs among schools. The school that was most interested in my son only sent a couple letter and none of those hand written. Other schools have called and are more aggressive but for now have showed nothing else.

I'd like to know what those couple letters said if you don't mind me asking? Were calls made? Visits made by you all to the University coaches? Coaches come to see you?

If the coaches came to see him, I'd be curious to know what the activity was like afterwards?

The reason I say this, is many "seem" interested until the almighty in person 'look test', then that "interest" sometimes becomes true interest or a never really interested in the first place.

Would you consider a request for transcripts as showing interest??????

I'm also trying to avoid this thread but believe that a coach watching you play or personally inviting you to visit their campus would be considered interest. I've heard of several schools that have GA's send handwritten notes, signing the coaches name to them.

Thank you for your kind words, he has dedicated himself to the sport and is prospering from it. Can't wait to watch him in play in college. I hope you can make a few games.

And, I can't agree any more about NAIA, there is some great football played at that level and I hate to see some downplay it because it's not D1. D2 and NAIA have some great athletes and many teams play at a high level. During my son's recruiting, we watched many D2 and NAIA games and every team had some great players.

• 10 months later...
And, for him, it was probably right in is mind.

1% of high school football players will play college football. If you are one of the elite players that in the 1% of that 1%, you will be found by colleges. If you are one of the fastest players in the country, you will be found. If you are an over 6'6" offensive lineman, you will be found. And, there is nothing wrong with that. But, what about the other 99% of the 1% that will play college football?

Simple fact, most of that 99% of top 1% want to earn money to help pay for college, they will never play on TV, they will not be in a bowl game, they will never be talked about on Sports Center, but they can earn money to help pay for, or completely pay for a college education. Those players have to market themselves and let the big, or small college coaches know they are there and interested or risk the chance of not earning any money for college by playing football.

My son was recruited by over 50 colleges: a few D1, several D2, many NAIA, and virtually every D3 on the east coast. Do you know his name? Will he be on Sports Center? Probably not. But, he is going to college for a greatly reduced price because of his academic accomplishments and his ability to play College Football. Did the colleges that recruited him find him? Yea, I would say they would tell you they did, but in reality he emailed them, sent them his player profile, sent them video, attended camps, and attended a few combines. They found him? Sure, but they found him because he was findable by putting himself out there to be found by marketing himself.

If a player is told to sit and wait to be "Found", they are being given bad advice. They need to go "find" the colleges and let the college know they want to be "found". This is one of the few times in a players life that they hold the cards and one of the few times in their lives that they are going to be pursued by so many people. The players have to put the effort and work in to be "found".

Good thread about how to get a D1 schorlship. looking back. The difference between NAIA d2 D3 is size speed. If you to short slow you fall into that mold. If you have size speed you get a free education. That at the end of the day is what matters.

Sending your film to every school in America is a good idea. You think schools from NY know about NKY football?? NO!!

Your NKY head coach may know a few local D1 coaches. Why only have a few options when there are over 200 D1 schools.