CCH athlete who never played

The other thread got me thinking. A kid who graduated from CCH but got cut as a freshman. Tyler Elder, was one of the best players/athletes in his age level growing up in NKY. Was a key factor on the NKY Heat that won state and played well in Nationals. The kid was a great athlete but was cut for reasons I never found out.

I really wished this kid would have played at another school, I always thought he was going to be a stud.

I'd like to see some of these kids go back to work and come back the next year instead of jumping schools or quitting the sport. Not that I fault them for their personal decision...I just remember guys like Chuck Berger, for example, who I think was very average as frosh...either didn't play or got cut, was all state as a senior on one of cch's better teams. (1970 ish)

I'd like to see some of these kids go back to work and come back the next year instead of jumping schools or quitting the sport. Not that I fault them for their personal decision...I just remember guys like Chuck Berger, for example, who I think was very average as frosh...either didn't play or got cut, was all state as a senior on one of cch's better teams. (1970 ish)

Tyler Elders stayed at Covington Catholic, but you're right, I would love to see these kids work that much harder & get back onto the court.

A lot of kids make impulsive decisions in high school, without much support or direction from their parents. Trust me when I tell you, most of them, as adults, realize the error in their ways and wish things had gone differently. However, you learn from it, you move on, and you become better adults for having made those decisions and had to live with them.

I'm not saying that Tyler does or doesn't regret how he dealt with it, nor am I saying in hindsight he would have handled it any differently (I don't know him), just saying that kids without direction making bad decisions in high school and regretting them later is fairly common.

Two more good CCH athletes who never played were Willy Corbett (current head baseball coach at McNick) & Ted Volpenhein (went on to star at Villa/Thomas More). They were caught in the years of the great CCH teams that won 5 straight titles.

Another player from that Heat team that was a big time player in middle school who went to CCH was Nick Hart. He was pushed to play football only from what I hear and was a good player.

Nick capped out at about 5'9 and got really thick for football. He was not going to be a baller.

Another player from that Heat team that was a big time player in middle school who went to CCH was Nick Hart. He was pushed to play football only from what I hear and was a good player.

Hart was not near the player on that AAU team Elder was. Elder his 8th grade year played some of his best ball down in Orlando for the Heat at Nationals. Tyler Jones, Fabiani, and Elder stole the show.

If this is the same Berger that used to tear us up at Beechwood Swim Club and around Fort Mitchell I am really surprised he didn't play much for the Frosh team. He was a stud in elementary and jr. high school.

The same....in talking with one of his teammates, he reiterated that Chuck was on the frosh team, but was marginal at best. His work ethic put him at the top within two seasons. George Schloemer was another who was unnoticed as frosh and even soph during the CCH 5 year reign, then ends up with a scholarship to play at UD I think....(I keep going backwards in time....) Bob Pettit was cut from hs team as a soph...the rest is history....