Augusta 61 Mason County 60 OT (39th District Semis)

Many years ago. Both benches were in the end zone. Visiting teams had to run in front of the Mason County bench to get to the scorers table.

Wait a second, your talking about The Fieldhouse, I'm talking about Bracken County's old gym

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that way back in the old old days (pre-1980, when I moved away as a kid), the benches at the old BCHS gym were moved to the end zones for district tournaments, but they were still on the home side benches for regular season games.

That gym was unique in that the benches on the home side and the bleachers on the visiting side went almost all the way to the ceiling. If you say in the top row, you were literally in the rafters. And if Bracken played one of their old 38th rivals (Augusta, Deming, Pendleton) or a special occasion like homecoming or whatever winter festival they had at the old high school, that place would be packed and get loud.

Good times.

I know that way back in the old old days (pre-1980, when I moved away as a kid), the benches at the old BCHS gym were moved to the end zones for district tournaments, but they were still on the home side benches for regular season games.

That gym was unique in that the benches on the home side and the bleachers on the visiting side went almost all the way to the ceiling. If you say in the top row, you were literally in the rafters. And if Bracken played one of their old 38th rivals (Augusta, Deming, Pendleton) or a special occasion like homecoming or whatever winter festival they had at the old high school, that place would be packed and get loud.

Good times.

And now a bank sits on the spot. It was a nice gym.

Good times.

2 things in Brooksville that I will never understand, the tearing down of this gym and the building of the new courthouse,judicial building or whatever it is called, both topics that don't belong in this thread.

High school notebook: Augusta victory over Mason County an even bigger upset this time

When Augusta stunned Mason County 72-61 in the boys' 39th District semifinals last year, it was a historic upset because it was Augusta's first victory in 29 tries against Mason County, and it kept the Royals out of the 10th Region Tournament for the first time in 16 years.

That was nothing compared to what happened Tuesday night, though. Augusta shocked Mason County in the district semifinals again, 61-60 in overtime. "This is way more crazy than last year," Panthers Coach Jason Hinson said. "I don't think anybody gave us a shot to win this game. This was a lot bigger upset."

Dave Cantrall would agree. Going into district play last year, Cantrall rated Mason County No. 59 in the state and a nine-point favorite over No. 125 Augusta. Going into district play this week, Cantrall had Mason County No. 1 in the region, No. 25 in the state and an 18-point favorite over Augusta. But led by Brent Bach, the Panthers prevailed.

Hinson said Augusta toughened itself up by playing seven top 25 teams this season, hoping to reach some lofty goals."Bigger dreams are still out there," he said. "We want to get to Rupp Arena. If we somehow could get to Lexington, holy cow ..."

Augusta has only about 100 students in its high school,

Read more here: High school notebook: Augusta victory over Mason County an even bigger upset this time | High school basketball | Kentucky.com

Only nine times out of 54 tournaments has Mason County missed the region.

Here are the "misses" -

2014 - lost to Augusta in 1st round of district

2013 - lost to Augusta in 1st round of district

1997 - lost semi-final to St. Patrick

1991 - lost first round game to Fleming County

1988 - lost semi-final to Maysville

1977 - lost first round game to Maysville

1973 - lost semi-final to Maysville

1965 - lost first round game to Maysville

1963 - lost semi-final to Fleming County

JokersWild24's Avatar Join Date

Feb 08

San Antonio, TX

If I'm Augusta, I don't take Bach out for a second unless he's absolutely begging. He has the greenest of green lights and we live or die with him. If one of the other kids even looks at him the wrong way after a shot, I might ask for their jersey right then and there. If they want to win and move on, Bach has to go for at least 35. No other way.

In the Republic Bank Classic, there were times that Bach looked insanely good. I still remember I remarked that he played like "a force of nature". He'll need to play like he did the first 6-7 minutes of the Lafayette game, but he'll have to do it for 32.

Snapp getting boards and playing as big as he can, Bach doing his best Superman impersonation, some other kids who know they can taking and knocking down 3's when they are dared to so they can't focus everything on Bach. That's it and that's all if Augusta wants to win.

JokersWild24, you put this in the prediction thread for the Augusta/Mason game.

Can we borrow your crystal ball? :lol2: