9th Region JV Tournament?

My apologies if there's already a thread on this. Apparently some version of a 2013-2014 JV tournament is already underway...which is news to some players and families. Yesterday (a.k.a. Friday, Jan. 24) Holmes' JV played at Calvary Christian and next weekend the winner -- in this case, Holmes -- will play the winner of a Ludlow-vs.-Lloyd game. There may be other games going on but nobody seems to know one way or another, and some players involved did not even know about yesterday's game until, well, yesterday. Last year's JV season was confusing enough given the fact that 1) some regular season games were counted as playoff games and 2) the JV final was presented as an unadvertised opener for the freshman championship at CCH. This season's JV situation seems to be at least as puzzling, and it's only January.

Any clarification will be much appreciated!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The JV championship game has been the opener for the frosh tourney for a few years now if memory serves.

I know CCH played Scott yesterday in a JV tourney game.

Sometimes the regular-season matchup JV game also counts as a tourney game if the scheduling is a challenge.

I'm guessing if you have a child that is on JV and this is your first experience it is confusing and seemingly unorganized but it's been that way for years.

The JV championship game has been the opener for the frosh tourney for a few years now if memory serves.

Sometimes the regular-season matchup JV game also counts as a tourney game if the scheduling is a challenge.

I'm guessing if you have a child that is on JV and this is your first experience it is confusing and seemingly unorganized but it's been that way for years.

Here is just another confusing part of the puzzle. Scott is in the 10th region. So it is a NKy JV tourney and not limited to 9th region.

St Henry eliminated HHS last week.

So it's been confusing and seemingly unorganized for years? Just kidding -- many thanks for helping to clear things up and thanks also to the hard-working, patient folks who make tournaments happen. I do wish more BGP threads involved JV action in general -- but just in case that sounds like I'm volunteering, I hereby retract the statement. :)

CovCath eliminated Scott last night. #20 is very, very good. I would venture to say he would start for allog about 3 schools in NKY?

I'm pretty sure #20 for CCH is Shumate. Very nice player. Will get a lot of minutes next year and will contribute some this year as well. Can shoot the 3 ball well.

The Conner vs Cooper game this evening is being played at Cooper as part of the JV tournament. Freshman and Varsity are playing tonight as well. The JV game was cancelled last week due to weather, so they are going to use this game tonight for tournament purposes. Should be a good game. Teams have split this year 1-1.

As far as being unorganized.....been through it and I couldn't agree more!

It seems to me that this would be easy to structure under your district format. Play your JV District games that occur before your varsity games to determine the #1 & #2 seeds from your district and seed a tournament of winner/runner-up format for a "regional winner" (teams outside 9th region could just be an additional "district") Just think how much more your district rivalry V/JV games would mean if the JV game determined standings for JV tourney!

If the timing of your district games occurs too late in the season, just schedule independent games (like they do for the tournament now) to create district winner/runnerup regional participants.

Get one venue to play quarter-finals thru finals games.

This process would:

a) allow all teams to participate; b) allow ease of scheduling; c) provide a true regional format; d) give a known standard for each year; and lastly....... create a forum where the kids can be recognized for their efforts/accomplishment (which, as we all know, is lacking for kids toiling at the JV level!)

Or you could keep doing it the current way and no one can follow it and no one will care what happens.....what do I know anyway! :idunno: