Belfry vs. Wayne County Predictions (2013 Class 3A State Championship)

JokersWild24

Who Wins The 3A State Title?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins The 3A State Title?

• Belfry Pirates
    • Wayne County Cardinals

Against who? Central and Paducah Tilghman?

A little bit of a difference there.

Central, Tilghman, Williamsburg, and the first Corbin game

Just because they struggled against Central and Tilghman and their skill guys doesn't mean any difference as well... Belfry's skill guys are every bit as good if not better this year than either team. If you struggle tackling in your past two games it stands to reason it will happen again.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central, Tilghman, Williamsburg, and the first Corbin game

Just because they struggled against Central and Tilghman and their skill guys doesn't mean any difference as well... Belfry's skill guys are every bit as good if not better this year than either team. If you struggle tackling in your past two games it stands to reason it will happen again.

How come Belfry isn't winning any State Track titles, then?

With all of this said, please understand that I'm a Belfry fan...I'm a fan of everything about their program.

I've seen all three teams, two more than the 3rd; and there are a lot of things that Belfry has that Paducah Tilghman and Central don't have; but raw athleticism isn't one of them.

Belfry's skill guys are every bit as good if not better this year than either team.

Why do you have to make things up to pick your home team? Why can't you just come on here and say you think you will win. You think your schedule has prepared you. You think your offense can make adjustments in the run game. You think your defense can make adjustments in the run game. You think you are more physical.

Your skill players are NOT the same as Central and Tilghman, nor do they get put in space by your scheme anyway!

How come Belfry isn't winning any State Track titles, then?

With all of this said, please understand that I'm a Belfry fan...I'm a fan of everything about their program.

I've seen all three teams, two more than the 3rd; and there are a lot of things that Belfry has that Paducah Tilghman and Central don't have; but raw athleticism isn't one of them.

You are grossly mis-judging the talent of this Belfry backfield. Speed alone wins track titles..it takes more than just speed to break tackles...ask Bourbon County. Speed gets you the TD once you break the tackle.. but it is strength, balance, and knowing how to position yourself that is what creates a broken tackle.

I think we can both agree Central's talent level at the skill position this year was substantially down from year's past... with the exception of a very poor tackling Belfry team that overachieved in 2010 there has not been an abundance of broken tackles against the Yellowjackets that cost Belfry the game. Turnovers, defensive playmaking, and the deep ball has beaten Belfry. Belfry's defense the past few years did not struggle with tackles like what I have seen Wayne County...

As I said, I have a ton of respect for Wayne County and they are the picture of consistency...even when they were missing tackles they had guys there to finish the play which is a testament to the team they are... but looking at their film and comparing them to what Central matched up with defensively I don't see the matchup problems being as prevalent. Wayne County is good enough though that if Belfry is constantly facing 3rd and Long then the Cards may do what no other team Belfry has faced has been able to this year.

You are grossly mis-judging the talent of this Belfry backfield. Speed alone wins track titles..it takes more than just speed to break tackles...ask Bourbon County. Speed gets you the TD once you break the tackle.. but it is strength, balance, and knowing how to position yourself that is what creates a broken tackle.

I think we can both agree Central's talent level at the skill position this year was substantially down from year's past... with the exception of a very poor tackling Belfry team that overachieved in 2010 there has not been an abundance of broken tackles against the Yellowjackets that cost Belfry the game. Turnovers, defensive playmaking, and the deep ball has beaten Belfry. Belfry's defense the past few years did not struggle with tackles like what I have seen Wayne County...

As I said, I have a ton of respect for Wayne County and they are the picture of consistency...even when they were missing tackles they had guys there to finish the play which is a testament to the team they are... but looking at their film and comparing them to what Central matched up with defensively I don't see the matchup problems being as prevalent. Wayne County is good enough though that if Belfry is constantly facing 3rd and Long then the Cards may do what no other team Belfry has faced has been able to this year.

If you think Bourbon County is on the same level as PT and Central in terms of raw speed and skill, then you are grossly misjudging PT and Central. You're right, speed alone doesn't win football titles, but even still...Bourbon is A LOT of things that PT and Central aren't too, but team speed; especially across the board at the skill spots on both sides of the ball isn't one of them.

Central was "down" in that area this year to some extent, but their "down" skill years are better than 99.% of teams across the states "Great" skill year.

I couldn't care less who wins. I love both teams. Matter of fact, if they played 10 times, both would probably win 5.

Why do you have to make things up to pick your home team? Why can't you just come on here and say you think you will win. You think your schedule has prepared you. You think your offense can make adjustments in the run game. You think your defense can make adjustments in the run game. You think you are more physical.

Your skill players are NOT the same as Central and Tilghman, nor do they get put in space by your scheme anyway!

-These are two pretty evenly matched teams.

-Belfry's schedule has prepared them to a point.. but Wayne County is the the best team overall they will have faced. Not as dangerous as Bourbon offensively, no as dominant offensively as JC, but very formidable nonetheless and with a better defense than both. Wayne has had a pretty solid schedule themselves.

- Belfry's offense does make adjustments in the run game... but if Wayne gets a large enough early lead or can effectively beat Belfry's line with their quickness it won't matter

- I don't think Belfry is more physical than Wayne.. but I do think Belfry has a depth advantage with so many Cards playing both ways. That won't matter though if Wayne keeps them off the field which they are capable of with their offense

- From what I have seen I firmly believe Belfry's starting skill guys are better this year than Central or Tilghman and Belfry does get their guys in space... against Bourbon it was the bubble screen to Taylor, the toss sweep with Dari and Johnson, and then ultimately the option keeper and pitch by Warren once the middle opened up.

Edited by ATLCat

If you think Bourbon County is on the same level as PT and Central in terms of raw speed and skill, then you are grossly misjudging PT and Central. You're right, speed alone doesn't win football titles, but even still...Bourbon is A LOT of things that PT and Central aren't too, but team speed; especially across the board at the skill spots on both sides of the ball isn't one of them.

Central was "down" in that area this year to some extent, but their "down" skill years are better than 99.% of teams across the states "Great" skill year.

I couldn't care less who wins. I love both teams. Matter of fact, if they played 10 times, both would probably win 5.

I didn't say they were... but Bourbon's starting WR's and RB's were every bit as fast as Central and Tilghman's starting WR's and RB's this season (Snoop Johnson may very well be the fastest guy in 3A Period).. the 2 deep is a different story..but for the guys they had out there they were fast and experienced.

I was hoping Tilghman would win... Wayne County reminds me of Belfry with a more modern scheme . Guffey is the best player in 3A.. I could see him carrying Wayne on his back.

The more I hear and the more I read, the more I think this is going to be the best game of the bunch. More. Just threw that last one in for the heck of it.

3A has been the toast of the weekend for the best brand of football being played (in terms of competition and skill level) the past two years. 2A last year was the most entertaining game, but neither team was playing near the skill level of Belfry and Central.

I don't see this year being any different. 3A is the only class where two teams who were considered at the top of the class at the start of the season were able to hold their ground and legitimize that ranking and then subsequently move on to meet in the Finals.

Wayne has been cutting down traditionally strong programs one after another all year.. Corbin..Bell...Monroe...Tilghman...Central... that's a ton of historic success. Belfry upped their schedule and overcame youth and injuries to take care of business. They were the biggest game on the schedule for basically every team they faced and saw several electric environments.. yet they pushed on and improved every week.

Truth be told I was kind of expecting this after seeing Wayne's early season success and knowing what Belfry's offense was capable of and have been following the Cards closely all year... they are truly a special team and remind me a lot of Belfry in lots of ways (not scheme of course, but personnel).

I think we are going to see a dandy

If I had to assign a grade to different aspects, with A+ being the best in 3A and F being the worst:

Belfry

Strength of Schedule: B+

Size: A-

Speed: B

Depth: A+

QB Play: A-

Backfield: A+

Receivers: C

Oline: A

DLine: A-

LB'ers: B

Secondary: B

Punting: A

Place Kicking: B

Return: C

Experience: A-

WAYNE COUNTY

Strength of Schedule: B

Size: B

Speed: B+

Depth: B

QB Play: A+

Backfield: B

Receivers: A+

Oline: A-

DLine: A-

LB'ers: B+

Secondary: B+

Punting: B

Place Kicking: A-

Return: B

Experience: A-

I've been on the Belfry Band wagon all season and Wayne Co is just next door. I know plenty of people in and around the WC program. For the personal connections I'm pulling for Wayne but won't be upset with either one winning.

Wayne is on a historic run for their program. Belfry year in and year out is one of the best coached teams in the state.

I'll go

Belfry 28

Wayne Co. 24

3A has been the toast of the weekend for the best brand of football being played (in terms of competition and skill level) the past two years. 2A last year was the most entertaining game, but neither team was playing near the skill level of Belfry and Central.

I don't see this year being any different. 3A is the only class where two teams who were considered at the top of the class at the start of the season were able to hold their ground and legitimize that ranking and then subsequently move on to meet in the Finals.

Wayne has been cutting down traditionally strong programs one after another all year.. Corbin..Bell...Monroe...Tilghman...Central... that's a ton of historic success. Belfry upped their schedule and overcame youth and injuries to take care of business. They were the biggest game on the schedule for basically every team they faced and saw several electric environments.. yet they pushed on and improved every week.

Truth be told I was kind of expecting this after seeing Wayne's early season success and knowing what Belfry's offense was capable of and have been following the Cards closely all year... they are truly a special team and remind me a lot of Belfry in lots of ways (not scheme of course, but personnel).

I think we are going to see a dandy

Agree that it will be a great one.

The Central win really impresses me, especially the fact that they did it at Central and cleared a mental hurdle after letting them back up off the mat at home the year before.

They've cut down some traditionally strong programs, but as far as those in their area went, I'm not really sure that this was anything but a very down year for Bell and a pretty down year for Corbin.