Do you have a problem with Adidas/Louisville selling Kevin Ware shirts?

Yeah, I'm sure the small schools will be ok with that.

Such is life. Not every person is created equal. By going to a small school you don't receive near the benefits as you do by going to a bigger school. Rovell's point was that people are overstating how much will be made by athletes in this scenario. Again, make them graduate. At least have them earn the money off the court as well since they are students first.

Something just does not seem right with it all. If you are talented in whatever field and receive a scholarship to a school, you are allowed to still profit off your talents beyond your scholarship. But an athlete is not? Well, there is a profit to be made, but not by the talent themselves.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing that bothers me is that Nerlens went out with a torn ACL. 12 month recovery...... Ware's injury was gruesome but still only a break. They say an 8 week recovery......Difference is Kentucky didn't make a huge deal by selling t-shirts and stuff. But Louisville made it look like he will never walk again. Noel wasn't cleared to travel for 2 weeks! Ware was cleared 4 days after the injury!

^ Noel's didn't happen in a regional final with millions of people watching.

The explosion and outpouring of support happened immediately on social media long before anyone with any organization had a chance to do anything. This isn't a big deal because UofL and Adidas made it a big deal; it's a big deal because it's a big deal.

My main issue is the NCAA's constant hypocrisy about caring for the "student-athletes" while reaping the monetary rewards. As the article says, "no non-profit does buccaneer profiteering quite like the NCAA."

^ Noel's didn't happen in a regional final with millions of people watching.

The explosion and outpouring of support happened immediately on social media long before anyone with any organization had a chance to do anything. This isn't a big deal because UofL and Adidas made it a big deal; it's a big deal because it's a big deal.

True but it is also a bigger deal at this point than it really should be.

Playing NCAA sports is a PRIVILEGE. As has been said, nobody makes these kids play ball. Universities always have and always will make money off athletes. And in my opinion, who cares? In college they are playing for the love of the game and to make it to the next level, right? As has been said, they get a free education, and some of the most incredible experiences you could ever imagine playing ball in college. Not to mention, for those good enough to make it, will make their millions one day anyway. If a player is THAT worried about how much money is being made off him/her playing ball, he/she doesn't have to play. Simple as that.

Very true. Doesn't make it right. I guess that's the union employee in me coming out that believes that those who put in should receive more than just a piece of cake for their work.

UofL moved yesterday's press conference to a larger room than usual because ESPN sent a full crew as did Good Morning America, the Today Show and numerous others. In the end, we don't get to choose what the media elects to care about.

They tried. Then they created the one and done rule that says in order to go pro you have to go to college for one year. And that's just a small part of the problem.

You don't have to go to college. You just can't go to the NBA.

The NCAA has had this model for decades. The NBA keeps shifting the bar in order to erect barriers to entry. It's great for guys who are big-timers in the NBA and it's GREAT for owners. It's lousy for guys that only play a little and it's TERRIBLE for fans.

You don't have to go to college. You just can't go to the NBA.

The NCAA has had this model for decades. The NBA keeps shifting the bar in order to erect barriers to entry. It's great for guys who are big-timers in the NBA and it's GREAT for owners. It's lousy for guys that only play a little and it's TERRIBLE for fans.

Very true. When did they change to one and done? It's not that old is it? I was thinking 5-8 years maybe. Andrew Bynum's year was the last year for high schoolers if I am not mistaken. I also only think it is a small part of the problem. Eliminate the one and done rule again and those who truly care about the money will chase it immediately. It's not going to stop folks like Marshall Henderson who figure out quickly that "they should be getting paid for this" from playing or changing their beliefs though.

^ I'm speaking in a much broader sense than just the one-and-done rule though. There should be more professional sports opportunities in this country than currently exist. But American sports didn't evolve that way so we're apparently stuck with this. As long as we're all willing to put our money and attention into college sports, it's going to stay this way. I don't believe in paying college athletes... not because they don't deserve the money, but because they should be able to play pro ball in a much better sports system than the one we have in this country now.

Sports are slow right now. Kind of like that period between the NFC/AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl. The media outlets that cover sports need something to talk about.

Let's not act like if Noel had the exact same thing happen to him BBN and the stores in Lex wouldn't have shirts or anything of that nature supporting the kid.

Sports are slow right now. Kind of like that period between the NFC/AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl. The media outlets that cover sports need something to talk about.

Let's not act like if Noel had the exact same thing happen to him BBN and the stores in Lex wouldn't have shirts or anything of that nature supporting the kid.

Sports are not slow right now but that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm more referring to the number of people I see treating this as some great tragedy still. At the end of the day, it is a broken leg. The initial reaction is understood but the kid has been treated and released. Terrible what happened but time to move on from the drama of it.

For what it's worth, my problem is not specific to Adidas or Louisville profiting from the shirts re: Ware. The issue runs much deeper than Adidas, Louisville, and Ware.

I understand your point completely. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's right that the NCAA pockets all this money and the kids get none of it. At the same time, if nothing can be done about it right now, why cry over spilled milk? If the issue becomes that big of a problem, it will be dealt with one way or another. That's just how I view it.