Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do you have a problem with Adidas/Louisville selling Kevin Ware shirts?

Featured Replies

Who or what is your beef with exactly?

 

I thought I told you, the NCAA. They or any member institution shouldn't be able to profit off of a shirt made specifically for a player. It's not UL's fault they can do this.

  • Replies 112
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought I told you, the NCAA. They or any member institution shouldn't be able to profit off of a shirt made specifically for a player. It's not UL's fault they can do this.

 

I can understand your point, I just don't personally see how it's different buying a shirt that says "Louisville Basketball" and one that that says "Loui5ville Basketball" (or something of that nature). They are still making money off the players, just more indirectly.

I can understand your point, I just don't personally see how it's different buying a shirt that says "Louisville Basketball" and one that that says "Loui5ville Basketball" (or something of that nature). They are still making money off the players, just more indirectly.

 

I can roll with that, but it's the intent that gets me. This is made because someone got hurt and specifically for that instance. I may think it would be a little different before all of this happened but haven't really thought that through yet.

I get where the lawyer is coming from, but this ends one way... not with players getting paid for use of their name or license but with universities simply not marketing their names anymore and the NCAA prohibiting it outright.

 

I agree and since this shirt has Ware's name nowhere on it, I assume that would include a ban on all numbered shirts and jerseys. We don't fiddle fart around with anything. When we have a knee jerk reaction, we go all the way.

I agree and since this shirt has Ware's name nowhere on it, I assume that would include a ban on all numbered shirts and jerseys. We don't fiddle fart around with anything. When we have a knee jerk reaction, we go all the way.

 

I would agree with that ban. I'd be sick rolling into an arena and 5K people have my jersey and number on and all I got was a free education. Gee, thanks.

I would agree with that ban. I'd be sick rolling into an arena and 5K people have my jersey and number on and all I got was a free education. Gee, thanks.

 

See that just wouldn't bother me... I guess I'm wired different.

See that just wouldn't bother me... I guess I'm wired different.

 

 

Everybody is different. No harm no foul.

 

 

 

My free education would say:

 

 

 

5K people wearing my jersey X $29.99(at least...at least $59.99 out of the book store)=$0.00 for me. :lol2:

 

 

Makes me ill just thinking about it.:puke::lol2:

On the free education side it's not that cut and dry. Your scholarship is a year to year contract. They can decide to pull it. Of course in basketball you can leave after a year but in football you have to wait 3 years past your graduting class.

 

I see the players point on feeling exploited. Currently it's the price they pay to further their careers.

 

I think basketball is one sport that this shirt issue could come up. In other sports they often wear a decal or a patch. I think they should of just given them to the players. In the end this might bite the NCAA in the tail.

Everybody is different. No harm no foul.

 

 

 

My free education would say:

 

 

 

5K people wearing my jersey X $29.99(at least...at least $59.99 out of the book store)=$0.00 for me. :lol2:

 

 

Makes me ill just thinking about it.:puke::lol2:

 

They had someone on Mike & Mike this morning and according to him your math is off on how much the student athlete would receive.

 

According to him (can't remember who it was) he said if they sell for $24.99, Adidas sells it to UL for $12.50, from that UL gets 15% royalty. There were some other things but in the end it said roughly the student athlete would make around .60 per shirt sold.

It was a pretty good interview on Mike & Mike about all of it so if you want to watch the podcast you could. It was around 8:30am this morning.

They had someone on Mike & Mike this morning and according to him your math is off on how much the student athlete would receive.

 

According to him (can't remember who it was) he said if they sell for $24.99, Adidas sells it to UL for $12.50, from that UL gets 15% royalty. There were some other things but in the end it said roughly the student athlete would make around .60 per shirt sold.

Darren Rovell. It is who I linked in the article a few posts back. His point is that it is over-exaggerated as to how much these kids would make off the shirt.

Darren Rovell. It is who I linked in the article a few posts back. His point is that it is over-exaggerated as to how much these kids would make off the shirt.

 

Right, I agreed with his point because if his stuff is pretty accurate then I see no reason at all why students shouldn't be allowed to make the money if it is directly linked to them. As he said, hold the money until they graduate.

They had someone on Mike & Mike this morning and according to him your math is off on how much the student athlete would receive.

 

According to him (can't remember who it was) he said if they sell for $24.99, Adidas sells it to UL for $12.50, from that UL gets 15% royalty. There were some other things but in the end it said roughly the student athlete would make around .60 per shirt sold.

 

I understand that. That's my point. Giving the student $1.00 per shirt is reasonable and doable. I understand licensing, royalties and all of that and have no problem with that. It's like an album. The singer only gets so much. I'm not saying the players should get millions but giving the students $1.00 per shirt sold should be looked at IMO.

 

 

What if the player made his own jersey or tee shirt? Far fetched, I know. Just wondering if that would be a violation.

If he made his own shirt he wouldn't be able to us the schools logo, design, and few other things. He could be sued by the NCAA and/or the school. He doesn't own any of those things.

 

Now a plain shirt/jersey with his name and number sure.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.