Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Do you have a problem with Adidas/Louisville selling Kevin Ware shirts?

Featured Replies

Nothing going to U of L except scholarship funding on the new shirts.

 

CRAWFORD BLOG | U of L waived royalties from Ware shirt sales - WDRB 41 Louisville - News, Weather, Sports Community

 

"U of L associate athletic director Brent Seebohm said that U of L, "proactively decided to waive any traditional licensing royalties revenue connected to the No. 5 graphic to be worn by the team on the court. . . . The shirt was created as a respectful tribute to honor Kevin within NCAA trademark apparel parameters, and allow fans to rally around the team. Because of that, adidas is contributing a portion of every sell to the university's scholarship fund."

 

As with anything, somebody's making money. But in this case, the U of L athletic association says it isn't cashing in."

  • Replies 112
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is where I disagree.

 

Then we'll just have to disagree. The idea is the same. Making money off an NCAA player, one way or another, and that athlete not seeing any of the benefits.

Sports are not slow right now but that's not what I'm talking about.

 

I'm more referring to the number of people I see treating this as some great tragedy still. At the end of the day, it is a broken leg. The initial reaction is understood but the kid has been treated and released. Terrible what happened but time to move on from the drama of it.

 

Amen.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

The way I see it is the NCAA either needs to start compensating them to some small amount, or provide FULL medical insurance with NO limit (currently it's at $10,000) and have this insurance for free. There are two different insurances you can purchase from the NCAA. One costs around $50,000 (the one Nerlens Noel has), and there's another near $100,000. My thing is, why do they make student-athletes purchase such insurance when these athletes are forced into playing college ball? I mean, if we're going to make them stick around for a year or two, they need to at least be covered for free in case they get severely injured at some point (which could potentially be fatal to a player's chances at going pro.) And don't tell me the NCAA couldn't afford it. We all know they easily could with the money they bring in year-to-year.

True but it is also a bigger deal at this point than it really should be.

 

Then blame the media and social networking.

Sports are not slow right now but that's not what I'm talking about.

 

I'm more referring to the number of people I see treating this as some great tragedy still. At the end of the day, it is a broken leg. The initial reaction is understood but the kid has been treated and released. Terrible what happened but time to move on from the drama of it.

 

So I take it you're a huge baseball fan?

The way I see it is the NCAA either needs to start compensating them to some small amount, or provide FULL medical insurance with NO limit (currently it's at $10,000) and have this insurance for free. There are two different insurances you can purchase from the NCAA. One costs around $50,000 (the one Nerlens Noel has), and there's another near $100,000. My thing is, why do they make student-athletes purchase such insurance when these athletes are forced into playing college ball? I mean, if we're going to make them stick around for a year or two, they need to at least be covered for free in case they get severely injured at some point (which could potentially be fatal to a player's chances at going pro.) And don't tell me the NCAA couldn't afford it. We all know they easily could with the money they bring in year-to-year.

 

 

 

I know this is a separate issue but what is the story with Ware and insurance? I have heard bits and pieces. He is fully covered isn't he?

If players should be paid, then all students preforming the research at these schools should also be paid. Research grants bring in a hell of a lot more money than the sports programs do.

 

Obviously, I have no problem with selling the shirts.

If players should be paid, then all students preforming the research at these schools should also be paid. Research grants bring in a hell of a lot more money than the sports programs do.

 

Obviously, I have no problem with selling the shirts.

 

Lots of them do, but I see your point. And of the ones that do get paid, most of them don't get paid at a level comparable to what they do.

  • Author
So I take it you're a huge baseball fan?

 

I am a fan and follow the Reds. I don't think whether sports are slow or not right now as much to do with this issue at hand.

Lots of them do, but I see your point. And of the ones that do get paid, most of them don't get paid at a level comparable to what they do.

 

And most of those that get paid are graduate assistants, not undergrads.

 

BTW, last I checked, graduate assistants get paid in the sports programs, too.

I know this is a separate issue but what is the story with Ware and insurance? I have heard bits and pieces. He is fully covered isn't he?

 

Here's an article I found on it. Apparently they do provide payments for the immediate costs. But in other cases it says a university has an option to provide the insurance in case of severe injury in which a player would be compensated, but it says it only covers cases in which a player is disabled as a result (the University generally does not provide this, players typically have to purchase it themselves). Kind of sad if an injury really hinders their ability and ruins their pro chances though. At least the university covers those costs though.

 

Louisville says Kevin Ware will have no medical bills

If players should be paid, then all students preforming the research at these schools should also be paid. Research grants bring in a hell of a lot more money than the sports programs do.

 

Obviously, I have no problem with selling the shirts.

 

Many graduate students that perform research receive a stipend and are paid by the school for their services.

Many graduate students that perform research receive a stipend and are paid by the school for their services.

 

Key words here. Graduate student. See post #71

Key words here. Graduate student. See post #71

 

You can be a 'regular student' and get paid. Or used to. Though labeled as Graduate Teaching Assistants most started in the roll their senior year at UofL's Speed School before officially graduating. Tuition covered, books paid for and enough money to live on - college style.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.