I have been barred from Communion

My father remarried. Does that make a difference? I left the Catholic Church in my 20s and I am not clear on all of the rules like I used to be.

Well, if his first marriage was never annulled, it is still considered valid in the eyes of the Catholic Church. Thereby, the second marriage would constitute infidelity to his first marriage. That would put him in a state of "grave sin", which is grounds for being barred from Communion.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are quite a few priests who have taken to barring Catholic politicians from Communion for their stances on abortion. My repugnance of abortion and those that support it (particularly Catholics who do) really seems to make me okay with that concept when it comes to their denial of the Eucharist.

I think I'm kind of torn when it comes to stances on gay marriage. I certainly can understand those who argue that DOMA is unconstitutional...but as a Catholic, I am definitely against same-sex marriage, as I do believe that it clearly flies in the face of the sacrament of marriage. I still don't know how to feel about that.

Isn't the Church being against it enough?

I understand completely. This is where I have a hard time with churches and individual faith. God is all forgiving but churches don't have to be? God loves all and knows we all sin, and preachers and priests do as well, but because of my sin I can no longer have communion or sing in the choir but I can still play on the church softball team? To this day I still have a hard time with churches based on things that seemed hypocritical to me even as a child. It has just worsened as I have gotten older. I can say you are a much better man than I am. You still call your friend a friend and seem to be forgiving in the way God means for us to be forgiving. Forgiveness is something I have failed at horribly in my life. I can learn a lot from you.

Holding a grudge is just wasted energy when it comes to things like this. Someone hurts my family, or if my wife were to be unfaithful, those I'm not strong enough to forgive.

I don't believe in it. I don't support the notion that it should be open as a sacrament w/in the church. However, if secularly they use the same word as the church, I can't help that. What I can't support is violating Equal Protection. That's it. The church states that if you support this civily, then you are barred.

It sounds like our views are pretty well in line with one another.

I'm yet to hear anyone specifically say anything about barring Catholics from Communion though, in regards to this whole situation.

It sounds like our views are pretty well in line with one another.

I'm yet to hear anyone specifically say anything about barring Catholics from Communion though, in regards to this whole situation.

I linked a blog that contained the canons.

I respect my friend b/c he fights for what he believes in. I, however, can not look at a law that I find as Unconstitutional and say that it is ok b/c my religious faith tells me as such. Just can't. It's a church/state thing.

So, you can be denied communion because you think this law is unconstitutional, let alone for having an actual stance on gay marriage? Why would they care about technical legalities? Does the Church have a list of laws its supports and opposes that its members are obligated to as well?

So, you can be denied communion because you think this law is unconstitutional, let alone for having an actual stance on gay marriage? Why would they care about technical legalities? Does the Church have a list of laws its supports and opposes that its members are obligated to as well?

Judging from the blog, I would believe so.

You state you're not sure where you stand on it despite the Church's stance. Is that enough of a reason to be against it in your opinion?

In all reality, it should be, yes. One thing I've always said, though, is that I do continue to struggle with parts of my faith. However, I do believe that my goal is, in the end, to believe the teachings of the Catholic Church to the furthest extent possible.

I'm reminded of Thomas Merton's prayer for guidance (specifically the 5th and 6th sentences):

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

For those Catholics who support Civil "same-sex" marriages, let me warn you. Doing so will bar you from being able to receive Holy Communion. I have been informed that my stance that the DOMA is Unconstitutional has now basically made me a pariah. I guess going to church on Sundays and living the best I can in the image of Christ does nothing if it goes against man-made Cannon law.

I don't understand your anger? If you are Catholic then you understand if you openly support things contrary to Church DOGMA then you are banned from Sacrements? This has always been the rule? Most people just keep their opinions to themself so its a non issue. It only becomes an issue when you are a public figure or make your opinion public to the church.

Judging from the blog, I would believe so.

This whole issue is why I don't openly support or disapprove. The issue is a non factor to me. I'm not going to fight hard one way or the other. My understanding has always been as long as you don't speak out against the church teachings or make it public in a way to go against the Church, the Church turns a blind eye.

As long as the government doesn't start forcing the church to marry couples then this is a fight I'm not fighting.

I think the Church's contention is that its teachings aren't only applicable when it's in agreement with the law in that local jurisdiction. It's teachings are taught as truths - universal truths. Thereby, yes, I'd say if you look to the Churches teachings on certain topics, it's pretty clear which laws it supports or opposes based on those teachings. I don't know that there is necessarily a "list" out there anywhere, but all the same, the Church does take stances on secular laws.

I'd be interested to see what the Church's opinion is on cohabitation. Clearly the Catholic Church teaches against cohabitation, premarital sex, and the like. It is clearly considered a grave sin, and until the practice is stopped by an individual, and they have gone to Confession and received absolution, they are in a state of mortal sin and should not receive Communion. I'd like to hear whether or not someone who supports a person's legal right to move in with their significant other, or to have sex with them without being married is supposed to be denied Communion.

I think the Church's contention is that its teachings aren't only applicable when it's in agreement with the law in that local jurisdiction. It's teachings are taught as truths - universal truths. Thereby, yes, I'd say if you look to the Churches teachings on certain topics, it's pretty clear which laws it supports or opposes based on those teachings. I don't know that there is necessarily a "list" out there anywhere, but all the same, the Church does take stances on secular laws.

As to Mex's post, could a Catholic believe that a particular law is unconstitutional, but also believe in the "universal truth" the Church teaches? (This doesn't appear to be the case here, but hypothetically)

My next question is why does the Church concern itself with secular laws? Is one more likely to go to heaven if they lobbied for laws that would impose Church doctrine on others?