April 8, 201313 yr Author I understand grave sin, but what was my sin? Supporting an idea that the church is against? If a gay gene is discovered, am I now off of the hook?
April 8, 201313 yr As Christ's representative here on earth, the Priest can do just that. It not a matter of "control", it is about being in a state of grave sin. Communion is not a possibility under such conditions. I think this shows another huge difference between the way Catholics and Protastant Christians believe. Catholics believe in a "go between" (Priest) here on earth. To PC's, there is no "go between"...Jesus himself is the intermediary between us and God and is our only "representative". I never knew much about the Catholic faith...very few Catholics were I grew up, always heard things here and there and learned a little more as I got older. Interesting to learn more and discuss...and of all places on a sports website.
April 8, 201313 yr I understand grave sin, but what was my sin? Supporting an idea that the church is against? If a gay gene is discovered, am I now off of the hook? I have been speaking in generalities regarding Church positions and teaching. As I wrote in earlier posts, I am struggling with your particular situation from both perspectives. I pray it works out so that you can partake of the Church sacraments with confidence and joy.
April 8, 201313 yr I think this shows another huge difference between the way Catholics and Protastant Christians believe. Catholics believe in a "go between" (Priest) here on earth. To PC's, there is no "go between"...Jesus himself is the intermediary between us and God and is our only "representative". I never knew much about the Catholic faith...very few Catholics were I grew up, always heard things here and there and learned a little more as I got older. Interesting to learn more and discuss...and of all places on a sports website. Definitely, Catholics can go directly to Jesus just like all Christians. Daily personal prayer and Scripture reading are very important to me. However, Catholics believe that Jesus was so powerful that he established a priesthood to communicate our forgiveness to us. It is a matter of how one interprets 1 Tim 2:5-6. Jesus is the only one that can save us and forgive us. We can all agree on that. I am so grateful that priests can communicate that to me in the context of Confession. It is such a time of grace each time I go. Here's another thought. If we do not need representatives between us and Jesus, why do we have preachers, pastors, evangelists, counselors, or other ministers in all of our Christian churches?
April 8, 201313 yr Definitely, Catholics can go directly to Jesus just like all Christians. Daily personal prayer and Scripture reading are very important to me. However, Catholics believe that Jesus was so powerful that he established a priesthood to communicate our forgiveness to us. It is a matter of how one interprets 1 Tim 2:5-6. Jesus is the only one that can save us and forgive us. We can all agree on that. I am so grateful that priests can communicate that to me in the context of Confession. It is such a time of grace each time I go. Here's another thought. If we do not need representatives between us and Jesus, why do we have preachers, pastors, evangelists, counselors, or other ministers in all of our Christian churches? Preachers, etc. are essentially teachers/leaders, helping teach and guide those in Gods word. Some need more help (especially new Christians), others less, but they are not considered "Christ's representitive" to us nor are they an intermediary. For better or worse (hopefully better, and I try) I am a representitive of Christ and no man can answer for me or act on my part, thats up to me. I think that answers your question?
April 9, 201313 yr Preachers, etc. are essentially teachers/leaders, helping teach and guide those in Gods word. Some need more help (especially new Christians), others less, but they are not considered "Christ's representitive" to us nor are they an intermediary. For better or worse (hopefully better, and I try) I am a representitive of Christ and no man can answer for me or act on my part, thats up to me. I think that answers your question? Sure it does, although I tend to think that some of the leaders in authority in some Protestant churches might disagree with that. Regardless, as you previously mentioned, this is a difference between Protestant and Catholic belief. Catholics believe that the priesthood was instituted by Christ Himself. For those in this thread who are not Catholic, I was merely trying to explain the difference (regardless of whether there is agreement or not). Getting back to the original purpose of this thread, one can see how mexitucky is taking seriously what his priest friend said. The bigger question is did the priest speak in "the authority of Christ" or in his own authority. As I mentioned previously, I still think mexitucky should seek a second opinion.
April 9, 201313 yr "...although I tend to think that some of the leaders in authority in some Protestant churches might disagree with that" Don't disagree with this statement, I'm sure there are some preachers/pastors in some congregations that may very well see themselves as more than they really are, no doubt. Also agree with you in that Mexitucky needs a second opinion as he is obviously torn about this and hurting.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.