Where have all our great HS bball players gone?

I had dinner with Hal Mumme several years ago, and asked why the 6'5" QBs, etc. He said that the skilled 6'4"-6'5' athlete realizes they won't make the NBA, but can play in the NFL. More and more of the skill positions in FB are occupied by the former BB players.

:thumb:

I'd say football would be a good short answer. I'm sure there are other factors, but none as big as that.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jefferson could very well be a McD's ALL AMERICAN... Name one player around here that can stop him from goin to the hole, and there isnt a better ball contributer than him. He works on his shot and gets a tad bit better on D, who knows where that boy could end up.

About 200 high schoolers in the nation could stop him. I'm not sure how many McD's all americans there are, but he won't be one of them.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/13696727.htm

• This winter, I bought a copy of The Sporting News High School Hoops edition. It listed what it said was the nation's best 100 senior boys' basketball players, the country's best 50 juniors and the top 25 sophomores.

There was not one Kentuckian among them.

• Between 1978 and 1993, our state produced 11 McDonald's All-Americans.

Since '93, we've had a whopping one -- Rajon Rondo in 2004. And Rondo was playing at the Virginia prep school Oak Hill the year he made it.

(Technically, Carlos Hurt was at Moore High in Louisville the year he made the Mickey D's list in 2001, but I don't count him as a Kentuckian because he moved in for his senior year.)

• Bolus says he's been compiling lists of Kentucky's best high school players for the past 33 years. The senior class last year "was not good, really weak. The senior class this year is the weakest I've seen in Kentucky in 33 years," he says. "And I don't see any McDonald's All-Americans coming" over the next three years either, Bolus says.

Bolus says that's not a coincidence. He thinks the declining number of basketball players our state seems to be yielding is proportional to the increased emphasis on high school football.

The more populated states such as Fla., Georgia, Texas all have Mac All-Americans but they are also known for having great football. His story is hogwash but he makes a living because people actually believe that. I know a lot of kids who play bb year round and still have average talent. You can only do so much with what you have.

With the success of "private", academies and secondary schools in the last 10-15 years, a lot of talent not only leaves Kentucky, but other states as well.

At the same time, you don't have to be a McD. All-American, to be good or even a great player in college....

If Kentucky wants to stay competitive, they need to give additional reasons and resources for seniors to stay in Ky. If a Rondo leaves the state to play his senior year for more exposure, a more aggressive schedule and any other intangible; you would think that a state with such a historic and passionate basketball population could structure a competitive system to retain our players. History and tradition will only get you so far. Kentucky's basketball coaches and leaders should review our state system from junior high to the student athletes senior year. Put the politics and egos aside and address the talent drain before its too late.

Jefferson could very well be a McD's ALL AMERICAN...

Fireplug, you are entitled to your opinion. However, I can't imagine any scenario that ends in Duran Jefferson being a McDonald's All-American. I think he'll be a Mr. Basketball candidate next year, and could develop into a solid D-1 player at some level, but there are 3 or 4 better Juniors within 15 miles of his school than he -- no Mickey D's for DJ.

BUT.........................Kentucky has produced a few first round draft choices in the MLB draft in just the last couple of years. Three that come to mind very quickly are Jeremy Sowers(Ballard), Austin Kearns(Lafayette), and Chas Rowe (Lafayette). Considering that the MLB draft consists of college players as well as high school players from not only the United States, but from around the world, I think that these players more than qualify to be rated as the McDonald All American equivilent.

Could it be that in Kentucky that baseball is really what's king...........but, nobody realizes it?, or wants to admit..........Something to think about.

Excellent point Firebird and the guys you mentioned will all be players in MLB someday as Kearns is already their. The state is all basketball and football..........lets not forget the other non revenue sport.

Excellent point Firebird and the guys you mentioned will all be players in MLB someday as Kearns is already their. The state is all basketball and football..........lets not forget the other non revenue sport.

It is truely a kids best avenue in progressing to the next level, but for some reason the thoughts (and in most cases, that unobtainable dream) of someday playing for the University of Kentucky clouds reality in kids that play high school basketball in Kentucky. Not trying to down the sport of basketball by any means , but maybe the reason why that many kids have focused their energies towards football or other sports is that many have finally "wised up" to the reality that "it aint gonna happen" which has possibly led to the decline in the level of the states basketball talent in the last couple of decades.

I know that the last few years the state has produced a lot of football talent, but I still dont think it has touched the surface of what the state produces in baseball players. Like I said earlier, either we just dont realize it ......or just plain dont want to admit it, but we are much more a baseball state, than a state of the other two sports. JMO.

It is truely a kids best avenue in progressing to the next level, but for some reason the thoughts (and in most cases, that unobtainable dream) of someday playing for the University of Kentucky clouds reality in kids that play high school basketball in Kentucky. Not trying to down the sport of basketball by any means , but maybe the reason why that many kids have focused their energies towards football or other sports is that many have finally "wised up" to the reality that "it aint gonna happen" which has possibly led to the decline in the level of the states basketball talent in the last couple of decades.

I know that the last few years the state has produced a lot of football talent, but I still dont think it has touched the surface of what the state produces in baseball players. Like I said earlier, either we just dont realize it ......or just plain dont want to admit it, but we are much more a baseball state, than a state of the other two sports. JMO.

I'll agree with your thoughts here Firebird...but I believe most high school athletes do realize they should have chosen Baseball in most cases....right before they go get their first job and prepare to enter the real world, after getting a dose of reality...than too late to undo the choice in most cases.

I'll agree with your thoughts here Firebird...but I believe most high school athletes do realize they should have chosen Baseball in most cases....right before they go get their first job and prepare to enter the real world, after getting a dose of reality...than too late to undo the choice in most cases.

Why in your opinion STRIKE3 do you feel that it happens so much on a continual basis. Do you feel that the media glamorizes the sport to an extent that kids feel compelled to neglect the most realistic options they have, or do you think there are other reasons?

I have a few opinions of my own to add to this question, but I'll ask for others to throw their 2 cents worth in before I offer my thoughts.