Where have all our great HS bball players gone?

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sports/13696727.htm

• This winter, I bought a copy of The Sporting News High School Hoops edition. It listed what it said was the nation's best 100 senior boys' basketball players, the country's best 50 juniors and the top 25 sophomores.

There was not one Kentuckian among them.

• Between 1978 and 1993, our state produced 11 McDonald's All-Americans.

Since '93, we've had a whopping one -- Rajon Rondo in 2004. And Rondo was playing at the Virginia prep school Oak Hill the year he made it.

(Technically, Carlos Hurt was at Moore High in Louisville the year he made the Mickey D's list in 2001, but I don't count him as a Kentuckian because he moved in for his senior year.)

• Bolus says he's been compiling lists of Kentucky's best high school players for the past 33 years. The senior class last year "was not good, really weak. The senior class this year is the weakest I've seen in Kentucky in 33 years," he says. "And I don't see any McDonald's All-Americans coming" over the next three years either, Bolus says.

Bolus says that's not a coincidence. He thinks the declining number of basketball players our state seems to be yielding is proportional to the increased emphasis on high school football.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the success of "private", academies and secondary schools in the last 10-15 years, a lot of talent not only leaves Kentucky, but other states as well.

At the same time, you don't have to be a McD. All-American, to be good or even a great player in college....

Isn't Hopkins County Central star Albert Jackson now playing at Oak Hill Academy?

Chris Lofton is doing very well down in Knoxville. Rondo is on quite a few All-American lists, although not on the 1st team.

It's not that the Kentucky talent is all that down, IMO. It's that they're finding other sports to play & other places to gain more exposure (i.e. Jackson, Rondo, Mike Bush, Curtis Pulley, Dustin Grutza, Mario Urrutia, Lonnell DeWalt, etc.)

I don't know if Kentucky can actually take credit for Mayo & Walker or not, but if they were still playing in the state along with Albert Jackson, than this article would never have been written IMO.

BUT.........................Kentucky has produced a few first round draft choices in the MLB draft in just the last couple of years. Three that come to mind very quickly are Jeremy Sowers(Ballard), Austin Kearns(Lafayette), and Chas Rowe (Lafayette). Considering that the MLB draft consists of college players as well as high school players from not only the United States, but from around the world, I think that these players more than qualify to be rated as the McDonald All American equivilent.

Could it be that in Kentucky that baseball is really what's king...........but, nobody realizes it?, or wants to admit..........Something to think about.

Might see a Holmes Bulldog at next years. Maybe more. Hopefully.

NAME THEM...... JEFFERSON? HENDERSON? IF HOLMES WINS THE STATE TITLE THIS YEAR AND JEFFERSON ATTENDS THE BIG TIME CAMPS AND PERFORMS WELL HE MAY GET SOME RECOGNITION BUT NO MCD ALL AMERICAN. :lol: