Border Bowl 2013

CoachJ

Just wanted to put a plug in now about next year's Border Bowl.

I am fortunate to have been chosen to coach in it twice -- first in the inaugural year of the game and in this past week's game.

It was a great experience in 2008: great hosts, meals and lodging and 'swag,' EXCEPTIONAL character players who had not one sense of 'me-me-me' despite them being their team's best player, etc.

Getting to be involved these years later it's AMAZING how much improved an already-great product has become. I'm SO glad I got to have a player (Cam Lewis) get this experience:

* camaraderie with other elite players--and getting to see how they work in practice and are fans of teammates when THEY do something great,

* a chance to win his last HS game AND get a ring (usually something only reserved for state champions)

* swag, swag, swag (full spirit pack, that ring, and they keep their game jerseys)

* play on NATIONAL TV (Fox College Sports)

* play in front of 4,000 to 5,000 fans in a college stadium

* get seen by what must've been upwards of 20 colleges who were at practices AND the game

* a first-class banquet to hear CHAD PENNINGTON -- who has to be the most interesting and down-to-earth professional athlete alive (he had me taking notes during his banquet talk, stayed an hour afterwards to autograph/pose with the players -- so glad he's a Kentucky resident now!).

We won the game, but even if we hadn't, it would've been up there with one of the greatest football-experiences of my life (and I think Cam's as well).

AND WE SOMEHOW WON WITH VERY FEW OF WHAT MOST CONSIDER THE 'TOP PLAYERS' IN THE STATE (no Quick, no Hatcher, no Bloomfield, no Bivin, etc.; actually had only ONE 'BCS-SCHOOL COMMIT' -- Jacob Hyde going to UK...what a GREAT kid by the way!!!), while Tennessee's team had several big-time D1 guys (if he hadn't been in Denver, I'd have sworn Ray Lewis was their #52!).

If you are a coach or fan of a 2014 graduate (or a player yourself) you would do well to do anything you can to get into this game. Though most Kentucky kids won't get to play at one of the state's big universities, this is a GREAT way to end your high school career and still represent your state by hopefully beating a bunch of guys in UGLY orange uni's!

By the way, if you were a PLAYER in this year's game, would you post something on this thread about your experience?

Also, I failed to say THANK YOU and GREAT JOB to Andy Croley, Brad Ingle, Ronnie Moses and the rest of the Border Bowl committee as well as Freddie Maggard (one of my childhood heroes :)) and the Kentucky National Guard for taking this thing to a level I'd never have thought it could go.

Sounds like another great experience. I have been to a few of the Border Bowls and they have done nothing but got better. When is the nomination deadline for the 2013 game?

Got some time...usually final deadline is around the week of the state finals, but much of the team has been recommended/scouted out by the beginning of the playoffs.

Let me throw out a Cougar Pride shout out to Ryan Fogle of Conner. 6 or so tackles and a fumble recovery yesterday.

It's been a pleasure watching the youngster play ball these last 4 years.

He has represented himself and Conner very well.

Let me throw out a Cougar Pride shout out to Ryan Fogle of Conner. 6 or so tackles and a fumble recovery yesterday.

It's been a pleasure watching the youngster play ball these last 4 years.

He has represented himself and Conner very well.

Cameron Fogle was the one playing in this game. Ryan is his older brother.