Coach Cal and Cousins

jbwill2

With all the problems Demarcus Cousins has had in the NBA, culminating in his indefinite suspension from the team, should Coach Calipari have encouraged Cousins to stay at UK for more than one season, in order to mature before becoming a professional? Clearly, Cousins was "NBA ready" from an athletic standpoint, but I think it is obvious he was not ready for professional basketball from a maturity standpoint. I think it is a fair statement to say that it was foreseeable (and maybe even likely) that Cousins was going to have these kinds of issues in the NBA. What responsibility (if any) does Calipari have in this, in terms of encouraging Cousins to go pro vs. encouraging him to stay for further development?

If he had encouraged him to stay would Coach Cal have been called selfish? A hypocrite? Even though Boogie emotionally probably should have stayed he was physically ready to go and had a chance to change is family forever.

Wondering if Boogie isn't in a bad situation for himself with the Kings, new coach and having to be the face on and off of the court for the franchise.

Maybe a change of scenery would help out, many have said San Antonio would be perfect fit with Pop and Duncan.

I think if Boogie would have stayed he would have eventually become a problem for Cal. He needs professional help from someone with a couch and a doctorate and a confidentiality agreement.

This.

Cal is a coach, not a therapist. The Kings coaching staff are coaches, not therapists. Cousins needs a therapist, not a coach...

With all the problems Demarcus Cousins has had in the NBA, culminating in his indefinite suspension from the team, should Coach Calipari have encouraged Cousins to stay at UK for more than one season, in order to mature before becoming a professional? Clearly, Cousins was "NBA ready" from an athletic standpoint, but I think it is obvious he was not ready for professional basketball from a maturity standpoint. I think it is a fair statement to say that it was foreseeable (and maybe even likely) that Cousins was going to have these kinds of issues in the NBA. What responsibility (if any) does Calipari have in this, in terms of encouraging Cousins to go pro vs. encouraging him to stay for further development?

Cousins has been in the league for 3 years now. If he hasn't matured by now staying at UK another year wasn't going to do squat. Dude needs to grow up.

Was he even eligible to,come back to UK for a second year? My understanding was he stopped going to classes in the second semester making a return to UK in year 2 impossible. I could be wrong, just what I heard.

Of course, maybe that is a sign that maturity was an issue and the Kings should have stayed away.

Was he even eligible to,come back to UK for a second year? My understanding was he stopped going to classes in the second semester making a return to UK in year 2 impossible. I could be wrong, just what I heard.

Of course, maybe that is a sign that maturity was an issue and the Kings should have stayed away.

I was thinking Orton was the only one who stopped going to class but I could be wrong.