What Exactly is This Coach Saying?

Ram

Sorry- I don't buy it. So the SK coaches will begrudge a student athlete from visiting schools just to see their options?

So...since to this point, Kenton Co has had open enrollment, can I presume that a family can attend various public school open houses in the county to see what's best for them? How is that any different?

"Better to weed out all those that are uncommitted as early as possible". Seriously? These aren't college age kids receiving a scholarship binding them to a university. Just kids and their families going through HIgh School.

Go to the bb forum, read the freshman bb thread.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change that to some students from throughout the area have been invited to come to Open House at Trinity and I'll agree. In fact open house is this Sunday from noon til 5. Come find out what Trinity has for you. After that, schedule a shadow day. There it is. Open, blatant recruiting.

I don't think the coach is complaining about Open House. Many schools in Jefferson County have an Open House. I don't think that is a recruiting violation. If that is the allegation, there is no need to investigate. Trinity (like many others schools) would agree that it has an open house.

It would clearly be easier for others to form an opinion if the coach had been more clear. It looks to me like certain middle school kids have been invited to come to Trinity to "try out" (ie., participate in) the strength program. I don't know whether that is true this year or not. If it is true, I wonder whether it is against the rules.

I don't think the coach is complaining about Open House. Many schools in Jefferson County have an Open House. I don't think that is a recruiting violation. If that is the allegation, there is no need to investigate. Trinity (like many others schools) would agree that it has an open house.

It would clearly be easier for others to form an opinion if the coach had been more clear. It looks to me like certain middle school kids have been invited to come to Trinity to "try out" (ie., participate in) the strength program. I don't know whether that is true this year or not. If it is true, I wonder whether it is against the rules.

I am not an expert on such matters, but it is my understanding that prospective students are not allowed to use the equipment until after they have enrolled (usually March of eigth grade year). I'm not sure when kids start to show up, but I am pretty sure it is after that. If kids come for a tour, I am sure that the training facilities are part of the tour, as are the labs, computer facilities, TV studio, cafeteria, art studios etc. Different kids have different interests. I doubt that any kids are being given "tryouts".

Sorry- I don't buy it. So the SK coaches will begrudge a student athlete from visiting schools just to see their options?

So...since to this point, Kenton Co has had open enrollment, can I presume that a family can attend various public school open houses in the county to see what's best for them? How is that any different?

"Better to weed out all those that are uncommitted as early as possible". Seriously? These aren't college age kids receiving a scholarship binding them to a university. Just kids and their families going through HIgh School.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/simon-kenton-basketball-244709.html

OK- so I read the BB thread. A couple thoughts:

1) In that specific case you linked, we are talking about a young man playing up from 8th grade middle school to 9th grade high school.

2) Having said that, my arguement about your claim that a young person won't be guaranteed to be able to participate on the team was more in the mind set of an 8th grader playing for his 8th grade team with the notion that you were implying his 8th grade coaches said he couldn't play because of attending a CCH open house.

If the young man & his family made it clear to the SK Freshman coaches that they were going to attend CCH then I absolutely have no problem with SK's Freshman coach saying "sorry, we need to make room for guys who we know will be here."...since that takes away a spot from a Freshman.

But if it was made clear that they were simply checking the place out, I don't understand why they would take that stance. As someone said, it doesn't endere one to the school for sure.

Having said all that- unless you're in a school system where numbers dictate it to happen (which SK most defnitely is not) I'm not for having 8th graders play up to Freshman or High School period. Seems the risks outweigh the rewards.

Now once they get into High School, pulling them up to JV or Varsity? That's another matter.

OK- so I read the BB thread. A couple thoughts:

1) In that specific case you linked, we are talking about a young man playing up from 8th grade middle school to 9th grade high school.

2) Having said that, my arguement about your claim that a young person won't be guaranteed to be able to participate on the team was more in the mind set of an 8th grader playing for his 8th grade team with the notion that you were implying his 8th grade coaches said he couldn't play because of attending a CCH open house.

If the young man & his family made it clear to the SK Freshman coaches that they were going to attend CCH then I absolutely have no problem with SK's Freshman coach saying "sorry, we need to make room for guys who we know will be here."...since that takes away a spot from a Freshman.

But if it was made clear that they were simply checking the place out, I don't understand why they would take that stance. As someone said, it doesn't endere one to the school for sure.

Having said all that- unless you're in a school system where numbers dictate it to happen (which SK most defnitely is not) I'm not for having 8th graders play up to Freshman or High School period. Seems the risks outweigh the rewards.

Now once they get into High School, pulling them up to JV or Varsity? That's another matter.

Even if this had been an actual freshmen instead of an 8th grader, I believe the response would have been the same. And really the root issue is taking a roster spot from someone that is committed to being there. This is all happening in the shadow of events last year where a parent used the threat of transfer to insure playing time. They were immediately shown the door.

Now instead of being handed the freshman qb position next year, he will have to compete for it at Cov Cath. And of coarse, that is about $30k that is not going to be available for college.

Even if this had been an actual freshmen instead of an 8th grader, I believe the response would have been the same. And really the root issue is taking a roster spot from someone that is committed to being there. This is all happening in the shadow of events last year where a parent used the threat of transfer to insure playing time. They were immediately shown the door.

Now instead of being handed the freshman qb position next year, he will have to compete for it at Cov Cath. And of coarse, that is about $30k that is not going to be available for college.

If there was truly any extortion for playing time going on then I totally agree. Wow that was painful to type.

Wasn't there a rule put in place in N Ky some years ago that dictated if an 8th grader was going to enroll in any private High School (ie: a HS school other than the one who's district they live) that they had to declare it at the beginning of their 8th grade year- otherwise they could attend that private school but would have to sit out a year of athletics? Or was that a rule for Freshmen transferring from public to private?

Wasn't there a rule put in place in N Ky some years ago that dictated if an 8th grader was going to enroll in any private High School (ie: a HS school other than the one who's district they live) that they had to declare it at the beginning of their 8th grade year- otherwise they could attend that private school but would have to sit out a year of athletics? Or was that a rule for Freshmen transferring from public to private?

My reading of KHSAA regulations is that high school coaches are prohibited from contacting middle school athletes unless they are part of an established feeder system. Other than that, there is not much applicable regulation or restriction untill the athlete actually participates in varsity sport. Of coarse , schools have camps all the time, so there must be an exception in this case.

• 2 months later...
What he is saying is that Mr. Tackett does not give a flying flip about these types of allegations and wishes they were never reported so he wouldn't have to deal with them.

Really? You may want to read this thread: http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-football-high/khsaa-penalizes-holy-249642.html

Holy Cross may have been the school that Coach Newton was referring to. But I don't know that for certain.