Question for a Ref...

LSURock

I thought that it was a penalty to remove your helmet on the field of play. I witnessed a player do this during a heated exchange over a fumble, it was noted by an official but he wasn't flagged. In fact it seemed like the official motioned for the player to leave the field but nothing else was done. Did the official miss the call?

I thought that it was a penalty to remove your helmet on the field of play. I witnessed a player do this during a heated exchange over a fumble, it was noted by an official but he wasn't flagged. In fact it seemed like the official motioned for the player to leave the field but nothing else was done. Did the official miss the call?

High school? Pro?

Any refs?

Sorry it took so long, some of us have to earn a living when the game checks dry up. ;)

1. I don't know the NFL rule.

2. Here's the NCAA rule: 9-2-1...Non-contact Unsportsmanlike Acts include: (f) Removal of a player's helmet beefore his is in the team area (with exceptions, including timeouts; equipment adjustment; through play; between periods; and during a measurement). [specifically spelled out and strictly enforced.]

3. Removal of a player's helmet is not specifically mentioned in the NFHS Rules Book, but in my humble interpretation it is covered under Noncontact Unsportsmanship Conduct by Players, Rule 9-5-1 ©...Any delayed, excessive or prolonged act by which a player attempts to focus attention upon himself.

So, because it is not specifically prohibited in highschool, it depends on the Referee's tolerance level of the act as it relates to Rule 9-5-1 ©

offside

After reviewing some of LSURock's many posts to this forum, I see that he is an outspoken proponent of sportsmanship and he rarely (if ever) posts any criticism of an officiating crew's performance. For this, the zebras thank him.

However, I don't expect many officials will ever provide much insight to the question "Did the official miss the call?" If you really want a ref to answer, and it's a real question, the answer is no.

offside

Offside has it right as far as HS goes. No specific mention, but 9-2-1 atarts...

No player shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once officials assume responsibility for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to...

It goes on to list several examples. For removal of a helmet to be a foul it would depend on the circumstances under which the player did so, the words he used or his actions.

If a player removes his helmet during a live ball play, he commits a foul for failure to wear required equipment while the ball is live. This is a 5 yard foul.

If a player's helmet comes off during play accidentally, there is no foul. If the runner's helmet comes off, the ball becomes dead at that spot, and there is no foul.

The NFL rule came into effect years ago after Emiitt Smith, then a Cowboy, scored a tD on MNF, removed his helmet in the endzone, and posed for photographers. This act became written into the NFL code the next year, but it is not specifically for excessive celebration.

What if a player has long hair, and has to keep his hair inside his helment, but on the previous play, the player was hit, and his hair got into his eyes, would he be flagged for taking it off in between plays while in the huddle to get the hair out of his eyes?

Thre are no rules in HS governing hair length, or keeping hair inside the helmet. I would probably deal with this player in this manner. I would talk to him about fixing his hair on the sideline the next time he leaves the field. If he kept taking it off, I would tell the coach to handle it.