Laid down my bike today...

sportsfan41

I understand the scary part of losing control. I also understand the part about the damage to the bike. I was sick for 2 days after laying mine down, and I didn't get a scratch on me.

I saw 5 fatal motorcycle accidents the first 2 weeks I lived down here. Had my bike up in Kentucky at my folks place, at the time. Called Pop and told him to sell it. Never been back on one since.

That's what hurts the most is I'm not sure I'm going to look at it the same, I love my bike but the whole way home, every car I passed it was like a reminder that I'm not going to win that battle. Cruddy feeling really.

Most people say I ride mine like an old lady. I ride only at the speed limit and my head is on a swivel always looking for drivers not paying attention, especially at intersections and I never ride w/o my helmet, don't care how hot it is.

Ironically, I once avoided an accident due to being on my bike. Someone pulled out in front of me but there was a 3 foot gap, I was able to squeeze through. If I were in my car, it would have been an ugly accident even with my seat belt on.

Along with watching out for rain, keep an eye out for gravel on the road when going into a turn. I always keep my eyes peels for that.

Most people say I ride mine like an old lady. I ride only at the speed limit and my head is on a swivel always looking for drivers not paying attention, especially at intersections and I never ride w/o my helmet, don't care how hot it is.

Ironically, I once avoided an accident due to being on my bike. Someone pulled out in front of me but there was a 3 foot gap, I was able to squeeze through. If I were in my car, it would have been an ugly accident even with my seat belt on.

Along with watching out for rain, keep an eye out for gravel on the road when going into a turn. I always keep my eyes peels for that.

Still just too dangerous IMO. You can be as cautious and careful as you want, but you simply don't have enough protection. A good friend, and co-workers boyfriend is currently at UK Hospital with a serious head injury because he hit a deer while riding with his cousin just 5 minutes from his house.

Glad all is well. I'm terrified of those things and would never own one, just my personal preference and general cowardice.

Been riding for about 6 years now, owned my current bike for just over 2. I guess they say it happens eventually if you ride long enough you'll go down at some point. I never ride in the rain, made a mistake in judgement and was reminded of why I don't ride in the rain.

That's what got me, gravel.

As a fellow bike owner I am very glad you are OK. I do not throw stones at those who don't wear a helmet. Also, if the pleasure that the bike gives offsets the extra risk of riding then keep it up. For me a ride on the back roads is great therapy and relaxation. You don't see Harleys parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Also, everyone wants to talk about how unsafe they are relative to cars and that is true to a degree. However, experienced riders are much more focused on their driving than the average car driver. Also, if everyone is SOOOOOO concerned with vehicle safety, why don't cars have driver and passengers strapped in like NASCAR drivers. There is a trade-off in everything you do in life.

As a fellow bike owner I am very glad you are OK. I do not throw stones at those who don't wear a helmet. Also, if the pleasure that the bike gives offsets the extra risk of riding then keep it up. For me a ride on the back roads is great therapy and relaxation. You don't see Harleys parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

Also, everyone wants to talk about how unsafe they are relative to cars and that is true to a degree. However, experienced riders are much more focused on their driving than the average car driver. Also, if everyone is SOOOOOO concerned with vehicle safety, why don't cars have driver and passengers strapped in like NASCAR drivers. There is a trade-off in everything you do in life.

The risk factor is not because of the motorcyclists, but because of the drivers.

What is the old saying, "There are two types of people that ride motorcycles. Those who have wrecked, and those that will." Glad you are ok, sportsfan41. Personally I would love to have a bike but the danger of it does bother me. Riding my road bicycle is probably just as dangerous.

I have had a bunch of motorcycles. But my last bike I owned it seemed like I was dodging a car every time I road it. To many people text or don't pay attention. But yet I still have the itch to buy another bike. I have road in the rain a bunch of times. I never had a problem in the rain other than the rain hitting me.

I blame myself and my judgement that day, nothing more. I took a turn in a manner that didn't factor in the surface the way that I should have. I lost traction then gained it, then ate it. My pride hurts the most, elbow is healing just fine. I will live to ride another day.