Covington Catholic 42 Dixie 0 (JV)

Theoldguy

How could there be a running clock? The score was 42-0. I thought one team had to have a 45 point lead before there would be a running clock. Has the rule changed or is it different for JV games?

No....Same rule as varsity. But it can be requested by either team at any score or time during a game from Varsity on down. You guys are missing the point....as the finial 30 or seconds of the game are ticking away CCH is running to the line and throwing the ball into the end zone just to try and mke it a 48 or 50 point game....all with the first string skilled players still in!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No....Same rule as varsity. But it can be requested by either team at any score or time during a game from Varsity on down. You guys are missing the point....as the finial 30 or seconds of the game are ticking away CCH is running to the line and throwing the ball into the end zone just to try and mke it a 48 or 50 point game....all with the first string skilled players still in!!

In situations like this, you have to deliver a message that the opposition understands. I won't elaborate, but I believe you know where I am coming from.

I am a believer that if you don't want the opposite team to embarass you by scoring to much, then get better and stop them. I also believe that if you are winning by 40+ points, in the 4th quarter, then, regardless if you are a "pass first, run second" team or not, you should not be taking shots down field for the endzone. That is bush league, and it's an example of a coach taking sportsmanship completely out of the win. Win or loose, show some class.

I do agree to a point with lionscoach but only to a point.

Should CovCath have played every kid, for sure.

As a CovCath fan,I was very disappointed in the CovCath coaches in not starting to getting the other kids into the game earlier.

This is where the running clock hurts those kids who do not get to play.

And I agree that JV is about developing players and every kids should play at least one series.

It is not right to tell that kid who does get in that we are not going to run the offense.

So that third string o-linemen has to learn to pass block or receiver needs run pass routes.

As for CovCath, they have 1 QB, 1 true RB and the receivers go 2 deep.

All 10 receiver rotate in and out during game, so there no true starter.

The starters against Dixie were not the same group that started against Campbell.

If you were at the game. 9 of the 10 made some very nice catches.

As for the QB and RB they are just hard runners and are not going to lay down.

Also the receiver screen is part of the running game and throwing a 2 yard pass and the kid running 5 or 10 yards is not CovCath's problem.

I am going to agree with lionscoach and also with C-Boy. Late in a blowout game, you scrap the offense and run the ball. All the kids need to play. That is disgusting to me that these kids are busting their butts every day in practice and don't get into that game.

On that point, I have seen football playoff games that were total blowouts. Obviously, it is going to be the last game of the year and for seniors, their last game ever. I have seen coaches not get those kids in the game. If I were AD at a school and saw that going on, I would walk down to the sideline and tell my coach to either get those kids in the game or turn in his resignation on Monday.

It is not right to tell that kid who does get in that we are not going to run the offense.

So that third string o-linemen has to learn to pass block or receiver needs run pass routes.

This is what practice is for. I'm not for certain, but im going to go out on a limb, and say that the kid playing offensive tackle probably knows how to pass block, not much need for "practicing" that at the JV level, during a game that is a complete one sided blow out. Pass blocking is pretty much taught across the board at the pee wee level. Again, I am not saying that Cov Cath should have punted on first down, or taken a knee three times and punted to run the clock out, but there is no reason to continue to throw when your up that much. I would not have a problem with the continued scoring, if they were running simple dives up the middle, and the Dixie kids just couldnt tackle them. A kid running the ball should not be asked to lay down and not score if he has a wide open field. Again, there is no excuse for taking shots at the endzone when you're up 40 in the 4th quarter.

So tell me again why #7 Moore the starting QB of Dixie was in the Varsity game even after CovCath brought in their 2nd and then 3rd team "D" in the varsity game. If I remember correctly #34 Washington the starting RB was in the game as well until the end, again even against the 2nd and 3rd CovCath "D" teams.

:

Apples and oranges. Moore needs every rep he can get as a sophomore who is on the short end of an tailkicking. ZERO problem with starting sophomores staying in the game when they're down 40+.

This is what practice is for. I'm not for certain, but im going to go out on a limb, and say that the kid playing offensive tackle probably knows how to pass block, not much need for "practicing" that at the JV level, during a game that is a complete one sided blow out. Pass blocking is pretty much taught across the board at the pee wee level. Again, I am not saying that Cov Cath should have punted on first down, or taken a knee three times and punted to run the clock out, but there is no reason to continue to throw when your up that much. I would not have a problem with the continued scoring, if they were running simple dives up the middle, and the Dixie kids just couldnt tackle them. A kid running the ball should not be asked to lay down and not score if he has a wide open field. Again, there is no excuse for taking shots at the endzone when you're up 40 in the 4th quarter.

There is a big difference between practice and a game.

No you run your offense and if like CovCath it is pass then run you throw the ball.

And define taking a shot at the end zone, it you are on the 10 almost any pass is a shot at the end zone.

I have been on the other end of the score, and I find more insulting when the other team stops doing what they do.

you run your offense and if like CovCath it is pass then run you throw the ball.

And define taking a shot at the end zone, it you are on the 10 almost any pass is a shot at the end zone.

Lionscoach stated earlier in the thread that when the score was 32-0 in the 4th quarter there were passies being thrown and the offense was hurrying to the line, to run another play? What is the point in that, other than to pad the score books.

And by saying "run your offense, and if like Cov Cath it is pass then run, you throw the ball" What is wrong with simply running the ball, is that not a part of the Covington Catholic play book? By not throwing passes, and running the ball to show sportsmanship is not insulting. The defense would still have to stop the run, that is not laying down. If Cov Cath would have knelt the ball, or punted on first down, that would be insulting.

I agree with C-BOY completely.

As for your remark about "this is what practice is for", game experience and practice experience are worlds apart. Anyone who has ever played the game can tell you that.

I agree with C-BOY completely.

As for your remark about "this is what practice is for", game experience and practice experience are worlds apart. Anyone who has ever played the game can tell you that.

I played the game, pee wee through college.. I am aware that a game and practice are different. But as far as pass blocking, a coach can run several drills for offensive and defensive lineman during individuals or 1 on 1 time, that are "game speed" drills that will imulate a game 100%. The excuse for passing in the 4th quarter of a complete blowout is that your lineman need to practice pass blocking, is ridiculious..

As for CovCath, they have 1 QB, 1 true RB and the receivers go 2 deep.

Then it would have been a good time to develop another running back or get the back up QB some more snaps so he is ready if needed.

I don't think the team losing badly needs to take their first string out unless that creates a mismatch going the other direction. Often times the first string of losing team is comparable to 2nd string of winning team.

I think every player played in Beechwood's 20-22 JV loss to SK. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do either as I don't think SK was taking that approach. Hopefully that benefits the Tigers in the future.

I will reiterate what I said above - late in a blowout you scrap the offense, especially when you are still playing starters. They got their game experience in quarters 1-3 and the first half of the 4th quarter. Running hurry up and passing in the last few minutes with your starters is poor sportsmanship. If CCH had backup players at QB, RB, WR who had not played in the game, I could consider the argument that they should run the offense and throw the ball, but I still would not be in hurry up mode.

I played the game, pee wee through college.. I am aware that a game and practice are different. But as far as pass blocking, a coach can run several drills for offensive and defensive lineman during individuals or 1 on 1 time, that are "game speed" drills that will imulate a game 100%. The excuse for passing in the 4th quarter of a complete blowout is that your lineman need to practice pass blocking, is ridiculious..

I guess that's where we differ. I'm coming from the perspective of the team that chose to continue passing in the JV game and getting game-time reps for their underclassman 2nd and 3rd string offensive lineman. That's the same team that had to replace an entire offensive line after they graduated 5 starters - and the same team that is breaking their school passing records with their brand new varsity line. You, on the other hand, are coming from the perspective of the team that wasn't able to score against my team this year. I don't think I need to point out that Dixie's offensive troubles against Cov Cath in the varsity game were clearly from the lack of push up front on the line. To that point, varsity skill most often comes from JV experience.

I agree that we shouldn't have been passing for the endzone in the 4th quarter of a one sided game, but I'm not the coach, and I wasn't there. Still, I have no problem with taking JV game time to work on developing my team's younger players. I'm sorry, but it appears we disagree on that subject.