Covington Catholic 42 Dixie 0 (JV)

Theoldguy

It really is pretty simple. It doesn't matter if it is pee wee, JV or the NFL, if the game is a blow out and completely out of reach, you don't run hurry up offense and run pass plays to try and add a score in the last minutes. It is poor sportsmanship no matter what level. I wasn't at the game so I don't know if this happened. But if it did, not good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but feel that this is a lot of over-reaction. It's JV football. JV football is intended to get gametime reps for the guys who don't necessarily get them on the varsity playing field. It's intended to develop their skills and make them better for the time where they are needed to move up to the varsity level. You don't get this by laying down. Sure, there is a time when you don't necessarily need to "go for the jugular", but there are still a LOT of players on Cov Cath's football team that need to be developed, and to say, "okay, the guys who were in the game before you scored a whole lot, so now that you're in, I just want you to dance around and try not to score" is not entirely fair to them. It seems, also, like taking a knee every play and denying EVERYONE on the field the opportunity is unfair as well.

It's JV football, where players play to improve, and improve to play varsity. Undoubtedly it was a tough lump for the guys on the Dixie team. I hope they pick themselves up, dust each other off, and work on their game for next week against Connor. Connor should be a challenging game for them as well.

This is the reason I stand and shake my head when you see a team taking a knee in a JV or Freshman game. Why do that, it's a game to develop players for Varsity. You want as many reps and plays as possible.

I think all this started when they started having JV championships and Freshmen Championships. That level is not about winning championships, it's about getting better so you can win State Championships. When was the last time you heard someone brag, "we were undefeated in JV my junior season". You don't, because varsity is all that matters.

This is the reason I stand and shake my head when you see a team taking a knee in a JV or Freshman game. Why do that, it's a game to develop players for Varsity. You want as many reps and plays as possible.

I think all this started when they started having JV championships and Freshmen Championships. That level is not about winning championships, it's about getting better so you can win State Championships. When was the last time you heard someone brag, "we were undefeated in JV my junior season". You don't, because varsity is all that matters.

And how exactly does having your back up quarterback throw a 15 yard touchdown pass with less than a minute to play in a 5 touchdown game accelerate his development and eventually lead to a possible state title?? I agree it's about getting reps and field time for kids. But there comes a point where enough is enough. If this is the logic, than why don't you see this in the NFL? You never know when your backup might need to play for real, right. When you're up by a ton, you run the football (yes the other team has to stop you), burn the clock, if you score, you score, but you don't chuck the ball around, run two minute drills or throw balls into the end zone with less than a minute to play in a blowout. Your backups are likely better off running as the scout team against your starters in practice, than lighting up a team you are clearly better than in a game.

And how exactly does having your back up quarterback throw a 15 yard touchdown pass with less than a minute to play in a 5 touchdown game accelerate his development and eventually lead to a possible state title?? I agree it's about getting reps and field time for kids. But there comes a point where enough is enough. If this is the logic, than why don't you see this in the NFL? You never know when your backup might need to play for real, right. When you're up by a ton, you run the football (yes the other team has to stop you), burn the clock, if you score, you score, but you don't chuck the ball around, run two minute drills or throw balls into the end zone with less than a minute to play in a blowout. Your backups are likely better off running as the scout team against your starters in practice, than lighting up a team you are clearly better than in a game.

I'd be awful surprised if it was our backup quarterback. Our backup quarterback (Sam Dressman) played most of the game on Saturday.

And you don't see this in the NFL because there is no JV game in the NFL.

I'd be awful surprised if it was our backup quarterback. Our backup quarterback (Sam Dressman) played most of the game on Saturday.

And you don't see this in the NFL because there is no JV game in the NFL.

Hey, if you get charged up about your 3rd stringers hanging half a hundred on an overmatched team in the name of development, by all means celebrate it. Again, I think those kids will develop more and become better players running as the scout team against your JV starters, but to each his own. If JV and freshman ball was only about "development" then you'd have mandatory playing time rules, no running clock etc. If throwing for the endzone with 15 seconds left in a game you're up by 5 scores is "developing" a kid (or kids) and making them better, then I've been going about it the wrong way.

You can't duplicate real game situations, and an opportunity to run a hurry up offense only comes in real game situation. I may be wasting by breath here, but that is how players are developed. And, in the NFL, it does happen do a degree, you can see a back up QB running the hurry up, and you defiantly see them throwing the ball. That is what they are there for. But, once a player get to the NFL, they should be a professional and able to develop their game on their own.

Hey, if you get charged up about your 3rd stringers hanging half a hundred on an overmatched team in the name of development, by all means celebrate it. Again, I think those kids will develop more and become better players running as the scout team against your JV starters, but to each his own. If JV and freshman ball was only about "development" then you'd have mandatory playing time rules, no running clock etc. If throwing for the endzone with 15 seconds left in a game you're up by 5 scores is "developing" a kid (or kids) and making them better, then I've been going about it the wrong way.

Who said I was "charged up" over how well my team did or didn't do? And for the record, I'd be wholly behind rules that mandated playing time. As it stands, I'm not in any kind of position to have such rules put into effect by the KHSAA, so there's not much I can do other than expect the coaches on my team to make my guys play ball.

Guest Birdflu
Why would a coach ask for a running clock? He's taking plays away from kids that deserve a chance to get after it.

That is exactly my question. If the only way to get better is getting repetitions, why do you intentionally take repetitions away from the players. Seems like it is sending a mixed message to your players. You want them to get better, yet you give up.

Who said I was "charged up" over how well my team did or didn't do? And for the record, I'd be wholly behind rules that mandated playing time. As it stands, I'm not in any kind of position to have such rules put into effect by the KHSAA, so there's not much I can do other than expect the coaches on my team to make my guys play ball.

Look, I've got no issues with the way the game was played for the first 30 minutes of the game (if the description was accurate). You play ball, you expect your kids to play hard. It sounds like everyone got to play, and I'm even ok with the backups (or the backups backups) running a normal game plan for most of the time said backups are in, especially if the other team leaves their starters in. I just think, (and again if the description is accurate), that hurrying up, and chucking the ball in the end zone with 15 seconds left is a bit over the top, pointless and unneccessary. That being said, there isn't a big difference between winning 42-0 or winning 49-0 (plus hey, you get your backup kicker a chance to get some work in:)). I just don't see how anyone benefits or becomes a better player from scoring a last minute, garbage time touchdown.

If there is a running clock then it doesnt matter if you run or throw right? You people.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

If there is a running clock then it doesnt matter if you run or throw right? you people

"You people" what?? I don't agree with running up the score in garbage time (specifically the last minute or two). Apparently that makes me an idiot. No it doesn't matter whether you throw or run with a running clock...I'm aware of that, but thanks for pointing out the obvious. Just tell me what throwing the ball in the end zone in the last 15 seconds of the game when you're up by 40 accomplishes for either team?? Who gets better because of that?? Again, you play out your game plan, even with your backups...the other team does have to stop you...I'm not saying don't score, or lay down or quit. But when you get your backups some gametime work, and they've scored a touchdown or two, and you've got less than a minute left, just kneel it out.