Covington Catholic 42 Dixie 0 (JV)

Theoldguy

Personally, I don't care what the score of a JV game is, it's just a way to get reps for the players not starting or in the rotation on Fridays. I think it is nothing more. I don't know what was happening in this particular game, but practicing the hurry up offense is important for a young QB.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should end the game when a team is up 40 and we will not have this argument.

As for the offense, from want I could tell all players played, however the o-line is the only position that have true backups.

The should have started subbing earlier, and I did overhear a position coach say he did not know that we had a running clock.

That is no excuse,but again this is where the running clock hurts the very kids we are talking about.

I really don't post on BGP very often, but I do enjoy the banter.

I was at the game & while the score was one-sided, Cov Cath definitely did not "run up the score".

I did not keep a book on every play that took place or on every player that came onto the field, but CCH ran players onto the field liberally in the 2nd half.

I may be wrong, but I would think that every kid on the roster had playing time, including the 10th string O-lineman that may never see the playing field again in his career.

Dixie played with a lot of heart, but not much ability at this point of the season.

Cov-Cath's 3rd teamers were that much better on Monday evening.

It becomes very apparent reading these threads who is able to be a fan of a sport and appreciate the kids efforts as opposed to those that have a bias towards one school or the other or the "public vs. private" or whatever other issues are out there.

It's about the kids, not your soapbox.

I really don't post on BGP very often, but I do enjoy the banter.

I was at the game & while the score was one-sided, Cov Cath definitely did not "run up the score".

I did not keep a book on every play that took place or on every player that came onto the field, but CCH ran players onto the field liberally in the 2nd half.

I may be wrong, but I would think that every kid on the roster had playing time, including the 10th string O-lineman that may never see the playing field again in his career.

Dixie played with a lot of heart, but not much ability at this point of the season.

Cov-Cath's 3rd teamers were that much better on Monday evening.

It becomes very apparent reading these threads who is able to be a fan of a sport and appreciate the kids efforts as opposed to those that have a bias towards one school or the other or the "public vs. private" or whatever other issues are out there.

It's about the kids, not your soapbox.

I have no agenda....nor do my kids go to either school. I was there to enjoy a local high school game. All I stated was, IMO I thought CCH was trying to run up the score on a team that they were much better than. It was the second to last play of the game (about 10 Sec) with CCH running to the LOS, with the coaches yelling "hurry up" and then procedded to throw aTD pass into the EZ from about 15 yards out. If there had not been a flag on that play, They might have reached 50 pts. If that is not running up the score than you and everyone else might want to think about your next response.

I have no agenda....nor do my kids go to either school. I was there to enjoy a local high school game. All I stated was, IMO I thought CCH was trying to run up the score on a team that they were much better than. It was the second to last play of the game (about 10 Sec) with CCH running to the LOS, with the coaches yelling "hurry up" and then procedded to throw aTD pass into the EZ from about 15 yards out. If there had not been a flag on that play, They might have reached 50 pts. If that is not running up the score than you and everyone else might want to think about your next response.

Is it possible that he was telling his players to hurry up so as not to get a delay of play penalty, rather than your allegation that they were running "hurry up offense"?

In the days when I played football at Cov Cath, there was a completely different thing yelled when we were running hurry up offense, just like we didn't yell "fake punt" when we were going to run a fake punt play. :rolleyes:

Is it possible that he was telling his players to hurry up so as not to get a delay of play penalty, rather than your allegation that they were running "hurry up offense"?

In the days when I played football at Cov Cath, there was a completely different thing yelled when we were running hurry up offense, just like we didn't yell "fake punt" when we were going to run a fake punt play. :rolleyes:

CWB....I know you are a CCH fan through and through.....and I respect that. I can assure you that there was not going to be a delay of game penalty called on them. They were yelling for them to hurry and get to the line and get the play off....I can also assure you of that.

:

I have no problem with the score. I've been on both ends. However, if this happened (throwing the ball into the end zone with 15 seconds left), this is pretty lame. Even your possible explanation is pretty weak. When you're up 5 scores with 15 seconds left, I don't see how you can be concerned about a possible delay of game. Take the penalty, kneel the next snap, game over, which is probably how the sequence should have played out, instead of chucking the ball around.

What about the Dixie coaching staff calling time outs at the end of the half to run a last play? or the dixie coaches requesting a running clock then trying onside kicks down by 30 at the start of a running clock 3rd quarter? you can complain and complain but its a game lol

Clyde... Your guess is as good as mine?

Also the complainers should understand. If you take your starting QB and RB out of the game who are you suppose to play in those key positions? The dixie fans need to understand.. IF CCH and their staff wanted to embarase Dixie and the program they would have left their starters in on Saturday to put up 90 points against DHHS.

I can't help but feel that this is a lot of over-reaction. It's JV football. JV football is intended to get gametime reps for the guys who don't necessarily get them on the varsity playing field. It's intended to develop their skills and make them better for the time where they are needed to move up to the varsity level. You don't get this by laying down. Sure, there is a time when you don't necessarily need to "go for the jugular", but there are still a LOT of players on Cov Cath's football team that need to be developed, and to say, "okay, the guys who were in the game before you scored a whole lot, so now that you're in, I just want you to dance around and try not to score" is not entirely fair to them. It seems, also, like taking a knee every play and denying EVERYONE on the field the opportunity is unfair as well.

It's JV football, where players play to improve, and improve to play varsity. Undoubtedly it was a tough lump for the guys on the Dixie team. I hope they pick themselves up, dust each other off, and work on their game for next week against Connor. Connor should be a challenging game for them as well.

I can't help but feel that this is a lot of over-reaction. It's JV football. JV football is intended to get gametime reps for the guys who don't necessarily get them on the varsity playing field. It's intended to develop their skills and make them better for the time where they are needed to move up to the varsity level. You don't get this by laying down. Sure, there is a time when you don't necessarily need to "go for the jugular", but there are still a LOT of players on Cov Cath's football team that need to be developed, and to say, "okay, the guys who were in the game before you scored a whole lot, so now that you're in, I just want you to dance around and try not to score" is not entirely fair to them. It seems, also, like taking a knee every play and denying EVERYONE on the field the opportunity is unfair as well.

It's JV football, where players play to improve, and improve to play varsity. Undoubtedly it was a tough lump for the guys on the Dixie team. I hope they pick themselves up, dust each other off, and work on their game for next week against Connor. Connor should be a challenging game for them as well.

Like i said, I've got no issue with the score. I'm not saying you ask the 2nd and 3rd team not to score...you're opponent does have to stop you. I do have a little bit of an issue with throwing the ball in the end zone with less than a minute to play in a game where you're up 5 touchdowns. It seems a bit unneccasary, and pointless. If the game is decided, and there is less than a minute, left, you kneel it out. Even happens like that in the pro's.