Would you trade the Kentucky Derby for a major pro team?

formerkywrestler

Trade the Derby for a major pro team?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Trade the Derby for a major pro team?

• Keep the Derby
    • Lose the Derby for a major pro franchise

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horse racing maybe isn't what it was at one time, but it's as good as any sporting even to attend in person.

I'd rather have the world recognition of the Derby than have the Louisville Browns/Jaguars or small market MLB team that is only competitive once or twice every 25years. Outside of having a championship franchise the Derby would always be more prestigious that any run of the mill franchise...IMO

1. I am of the belief that there will never be a Pro sports team in KY. (NBA, MLB, NFL)

2. Even if there were, I seriously doubt said team would bring in as much money in a SEASON as the Derby does in ONE DAY. Throw in Oaks Day, and I'm 99.99% positive it wouldn't happen.

3. As Jim has already pointed out, an NBA team isn't going to work in this state. This is a COLLEGE basketball state, and there's not enough people with enough money to shell out big bucks for season tickets to College and NBA. And there definitely aren't enough NBA-only fans to support a franchise.

4. Baseball ain't happenin'. Reds are close enough to most, and you can walk up to virtually every Louisville Bats (Reds affiliate) game and get a good ticket for $15. The demand simply isn't there.

5. No reason even discussing NFL. Too many teams too close.

6. Acting like the Derby isn't a big deal, especially as a Kentuckian, is a shame IMO. As many negative stereotypes that are associated with our state, and some of you want to give up the one thing that we are GLOBALLY known for in a positive light for a few pro games a year? Really? Add in the financial gain from Oaks/Derby, I think it's a joke that giving up the Derby would even be considered. You don't have to be a horse racing fan to be a fan of the Derby. It's about much more than just the two minute horse race, IMO.

Amazing, folks say keep the Derby, folks voted 38-16 to keep the Derby and yet on BGP there are more threads about Mayweather/Pacquiao right now than the 2015 Derby. Yeah, the Derby is a real keeper.:angrybird9::angrybird9:

That is probably the most anticipated fight in a decade, if not longer.

Poor example.

Amazing, folks say keep the Derby, folks voted 38-16 to keep the Derby and yet on BGP there are more threads about Mayweather/Pacquiao right now than the 2015 Derby. Yeah, the Derby is a real keeper.:angrybird9::angrybird9:

I think Mayweather/Pacquiao is a good parallel. Not in how you are framing it, but the fact Nevada does not have a pro sport's team, but are given the mega fights. Similar to how the Derby is with Kentucky.

That is probably the most anticipated fight in a decade, if not longer.

Poor example.

Agreed. There's been more talk on BGP about this fight that probably the rest of the boxing threads in the history of this site put together.

...and I still hate most pro sports owners... even more than the boneheads running CDI.

1. I am of the belief that there will never be a Pro sports team in KY. (NBA, MLB, NFL)

2. Even if there were, I seriously doubt said team would bring in as much money in a SEASON as the Derby does in ONE DAY. Throw in Oaks Day, and I'm 99.99% positive it wouldn't happen.

3. As Jim has already pointed out, an NBA team isn't going to work in this state. This is a COLLEGE basketball state, and there's not enough people with enough money to shell out big bucks for season tickets to College and NBA. And there definitely aren't enough NBA-only fans to support a franchise.

4. Baseball ain't happenin'. Reds are close enough to most, and you can walk up to virtually every Louisville Bats (Reds affiliate) game and get a good ticket for $15. The demand simply isn't there.

5. No reason even discussing NFL. Too many teams too close.

6. Acting like the Derby isn't a big deal, especially as a Kentuckian, is a shame IMO. As many negative stereotypes that are associated with our state, and some of you want to give up the one thing that we are GLOBALLY known for in a positive light for a few pro games a year? Really? Add in the financial gain from Oaks/Derby, I think it's a joke that giving up the Derby would even be considered. You don't have to be a horse racing fan to be a fan of the Derby. It's about much more than just the two minute horse race, IMO.

I could care less about how much money is brought in or the stereotypes of Kentuckians. I'd happily take Kobe or Russ in Lexington for a 10 year career over a 2 minute race accompanied by an awesome day of day drinking.

I could care less about how much money is brought in or the stereotypes of Kentuckians. I'd happily take Kobe or Russ in Lexington for a 10 year career over a 2 minute race accompanied by an awesome day of day drinking.

Well, good luck... It ain't happenin'. :lol2: