Would you trade the Kentucky Derby for a major pro team?

formerkywrestler

Trade the Derby for a major pro team?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Trade the Derby for a major pro team?

• Keep the Derby
    • Lose the Derby for a major pro franchise

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll give you a guarantee.

I asked this because it's part of a much larger issue I have: I hate pro sports owners. They are the absolute worst and peoples' affections for their sports teams gives them leverage to treat cities and fans alike as if they were dirt then throw a tantrum when things don't go their way. Not allowing them to move is at least a start in limiting all that nonsense.

In truth, I'd probably demand that we have Green-Bay-type community ownership rather than crawling into bed with an owner at all. But that's very successful and gives fans the choice of how they want the team to operate, which is why it's been banned in all American sports leagues now.

First ballot, I'm going to have to say that I'd keep the Derby, though if it gets any more expensive to get into the track on Derby Day we're going to fight about that too.

The Derby brings in $127 mio per year. That is similar to the average return for a major league pro NFL or MLB franchise depending on the area. Of course I would like both, but I would not trade the derby...a bird in hand... for an investment that is likely to require considerable community investment for a stadium requiring years of payback.

The Derby brings in $127 mio per year. That is similar to the average return for a major league pro NFL or MLB franchise depending on the area. Of course I would like both, but I would not trade the derby...a bird in hand... for an investment that is likely to require considerable community investment for a stadium requiring years of payback.

Plus, the fact that the Derby is a world-renowned, world-recognized event, it brings in people from all over the world to attend and pour money into the Greater Louisville area and the state at large.

A pro sports franchise would depend on the locals to support it, and that's just not feasible for 41+ dates out of the year (using the NBA schedule, since that's the only thing this state has a chance to land) to ask of local fans and businesses — especially since you'd be asking that of fans and businesses that are already supporting UofL and/or UK basketball. Bottom line is the population is already bled dry during the basketball season, and it's not realistic to think that there is a group of people large enough out there who are NBA fans only and who can support a team for that many dates.

As big of a pro sports fan as I am and how little I care about horse racing, I still would never give up the Kentucky Derby. It's a major part of who we are and one of the only reasons some people even know that Kentucky is a place. That race is the pride of our state. I want a pro team BADLY, but losing our namesake isn't worth it.

So if Anthony Davis played for the Lexington Hornets people wouldn't support the team? Yeah, right. The Derby is vastly overrated. Look no further than BGP to find out what people care about the most regarding Pro Sports and The Derby. If folks need an excuse to get drunk and watch horses for two minutes holler at me in October and we can go to Keeneland.

Just sayin'

So if Anthony Davis played for the Lexington Hornets people wouldn't support the team? Yeah, right. The Derby is vastly overrated. Look no further than BGP to find out what people care about the most regarding Pro Sports and The Derby. If folks need an excuse to get drunk and watch horses for two minutes holler at me in October and we can go to Keeneland.

Just sayin'

Plus you can buy your big floppy hats and top hats with the team logo at the game!