4th District Congressional Debate

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize, I shouldn't have called it a debate, it was an open forum.

Yes it is for Davis' seat.

The GOP candidates are:

Running for the GOP nod are Erlanger attorney Marc Carey, Lewis County Judge Executive Thomas Massie, Boone County Judge Executive Gary Moore, Jefferson County teacher Brian Oerther, Louisville area businessman Walt Schumm, State Rep. Alecia Webb-Edgington and former Sheakley CEO Tom Wurtz of Fort Mitchell.

Read more: KY 4th Congressional District candidates to face off at candidate forum

I'm still undecided on this one. You have any preference this race MJ?

I'm not really sure, I will admit that I don't know a whole lot about the majority of these candidates and that I'm definitely biased about having the represnetation come from NKY.

I grew up in Boone County (even used to live in the same neighborhood) and I know that Gary Moore has done a lot of good as Judge Executive, so I wouldn't be upset if he wins but I'm not sure I will vote for him. There is just something about him that doesn't sit well with me.

I like Alecia Webb-Edgington, who I believe has been endorsed by both Geoff Davis and Jim Bunning (both who have previously held this position). She is a former Kentucky State Police Officer.

After watching the forum last night I feel like Brian Oerther is probably an awesome guy (I believe they said he was a teacher and a baseball coach), but just seemed to be in way over his head with this group.

Tom Wurtz did intrigue me by what he had to say, but I don't really know anything about him, besides that I believe he is some type of millionaire.

I believe it was Marc Carey who said something that didn't sit well with me about wanting to diminish or remove Pell Grants, unless I heard him wrong, but I think that's a terrible idea.

Walt Schumm seemed like a very standup guy, but being biased towards Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties...he probably wouldn't get my vote.

The better question is who do I dislike? And that is Thomas Massie. That is primarily based on what I watched last night. And I don't really care for the fact that he has $500,000 of his campaign support coming from a Super-Pack in Texas (not going to pretend I know exactly what that means but Webb-Edgington and Moore were not happy about that at all when I attended the Kenton County Republican Spring Fling last week. Basically sounded like people who don't have our state's best interest in mind were trying to buy the nomination/election).

I really like Thomas Massie. He graduated from MIT and has been endorsed by both Rand and Ron Paul. I'm from this district and I expect him to win.

In my opinion, he talks the game well, but came off extremely pompous last night. I didn't care for the way he handled himself at all. But, do to the amount of money he has invested in his campaign (from what I understand) he does have a pretty good shot at winning.

I'm not really sure, I will admit that I don't know a whole lot about the majority of these candidates and that I'm definitely biased about having the represnetation come from NKY.

I grew up in Boone County (even used to live in the same neighborhood) and I know that Gary Moore has done a lot of good as Judge Executive, so I wouldn't be upset if he wins but I'm not sure I will vote for him. There is just something about him that doesn't sit well with me.

I like Alecia Webb-Edgington, who I believe has been endorsed by both Geoff Davis and Jim Bunning (both who have previously held this position). She is a former Kentucky State Police Officer.

After watching the forum last night I feel like Brian Oerther is probably an awesome guy (I believe they said he was a teacher and a baseball coach), but just seemed to be in way over his head with this group.

Tom Wurtz did intrigue me by what he had to say, but I don't really know anything about him, besides that I believe he is some type of millionaire.

I believe it was Marc Carey who said something that didn't sit well with me about wanting to diminish or remove Pell Grants, unless I heard him wrong, but I think that's a terrible idea.

Walt Schumm seemed like a very standup guy, but being biased towards Boone, Kenton, and Campbell counties...he probably wouldn't get my vote.

The better question is who do I dislike? And that is Thomas Massie. That is primarily based on what I watched last night. And I don't really care for the fact that he has $500,000 of his campaign support coming from a Super-Pack in Texas (not going to pretend I know exactly what that means but Webb-Edgington and Moore were not happy about that at all when I attended the Kenton County Republican Spring Fling last week. Basically sounded like people who don't have our state's best interest in mind were trying to buy the nomination/election).

Thanks for the info!

On the bolded, I believe Massie is the darling of the Tea Party, which is probably why he's gathered the funds you mentioned. I feel like it'll be Gary Moore or Alecia Webb-Edgington that wins. And probably one of those two will get my vote.

Thanks for the info!

On the bolded, I believe Massie is the darling of the Tea Party, which is probably why he's gathered the funds you mentioned. I feel like it'll be Gary Moore or Alecia Webb-Edgington that wins. And probably one of those two will get my vote.

Pretty sure that is correct.

In my opinion, he talks the game well, but came off extremely pompous last night. I didn't care for the way he handled himself at all. But, do to the amount of money he has invested in his campaign (from what I understand) he does have a pretty good shot at winning.

I didn't listen to him talk last night. This is a man who needs to be elected. Highly intelligent and a libertarian. The two fit in perfect harmony.

Thanks for the info!

Pretty sure that is correct.

As far as everything I know...you are right. My thoughts are very similar to yours RP.

I'm leaning toward Webb-Edgington right now. It has to be either her or Gary Moore. I started out being a supporter of Gary Moore, but he has gone so overboard to get my vote that it has really turned me off. His people call here constantly and we get a couple of pieces of mail from him just about every day. Also, much of his campaign literature is mean-spirited and blatantly loose with the facts in regard to his opponents.

I like the fact that Webb-Edgington was a state trooper and that she is from the 3-county area. She's been endorsed by Geoff Davis and Sen. Bunning. She actually stopped by our house a couple of months ago. A car pulled up...a mysterious woman came to our door. She introduced herself and talked briefly; then she got back into the car and they drove off. I thought that was pretty cool -- but that's not why I'm supporting her.

As for Massie, the article in the Enquirer confirmed my fears about him. The Tea Party has brought in an army of activists from all over the country to set up a headquarters in Bellevue. From there, they will create the illusion of local grassrooot support, and use that mask to garner support from unsuspecting voters. We've already received some of their mailings. You have to look very closely at the fine print to see who is really behind it. So, between those tactics, and the fact that he isn't local, I'm not supporting Massie at all.

The other candidates probably don't have any chance, so I really don't have an opinion on them.