What kind of snake is this?

halfback20

Personally I don't usually kill black snakes. They keep rats and mice away, and I have always been told by the old timers that they will drive venomous snakes away. I doubt it would pose any threat to your dogs, but if they see it, they will likely go after it.

We used to have two big black snakes that we saw regularly around out property. These guys were over 5 feet long and didn't bother anyone. My neighbor killed one of them and then the other one started coming closer to our houses. I don't know if it was missing it's mate or what. One day another neighbor found him laying over the top of their sliding door on the bricks of the house, lol. I ended up killing him when my kids got big enough to play outside by themselves and I was afraid they may have a confrontation since he has become so brave around us.

I have regretted that though because in the years since, we have seen several copperheads and we never saw a venomous snake anywhere near our house when those two black snakes were hanging around. I don't know if there is any truth to the thought that black snakes keep venomous snakes away, but my experience does support it.

Kind of looks like a Queen Snake too. Though the website posted above says they like to hang out near water and adults are normally 2' in length.
They are pretty rare and not commonly encountered. It's hard to tell from the picture but I'd say it's definitely either a Black Racer or a Black Rat Snake. Etiher way, it's harmless and will do a lot more good than bad. I'd leave him be.

Not sure what kind it is but I would much rather see one like that opposed to the copperhead I almost stepped on at the golf course the other day. :eek:

We've got Copperheads on our golf course too. I've killed 3 in the last two years, and others have killed or seen them too. We tell people too be careful when they're looking for a golf ball in the weeds or close to rock outcroppings. We've not had any close calls from customers in the 5 years since we opened the course. Most courses in Eastern Kentucky probably have Copperheads.

There's not any Rattlesnakes in the area Owsley County where our golf course is located, but there's plenty in the southern part of the county next to the Perry, Breathitt, and Clay borders. I'd be a lot more concerned if there were rattlers around. They scare me more than a copperhead.

I had a three foot black snake looking in my screen window last week. I picked him up and carried him to the woods so he could keep the mice away. I have a picture of it wrapped around my arm on my phone but I'm not smart enough to put it on the computer, or at least I haven't taken the time to learn how to put it on the computer. I never kill non-venomous snakes.

I have a heck of a time just keeping the racers out of my garage. I'm worried about pigmy rattlers, which have been a problem down here of late. I'm trying moth balls, now. I haven't run across one in there this year, yet.

We had a racer get loose in the lobby where I work last week. It was fun when the girls climbed onto their desks.

The only non-poisonous snake I've ever killed was a scarlet king that was in the hallway of my home. At that time, I didn't know the difference between a king and a coral, so I took no chances. It was too bad, too. I come to find out later, that the king was worth more than $200 had I caught it and taken it to a pet store. My luck. :D

It's been a while since I took a biology class...venom is delivered by bite or sting and poison is part of the tissue/bodily fluid of an organism, correct?

In other words, is a spitting viper poisonous, Toots?

We've got Copperheads on our golf course too. I've killed 3 in the last two years, and others have killed or seen them too. We tell people too be careful when they're looking for a golf ball in the weeds or close to rock outcroppings. We've not had any close calls from customers in the 5 years since we opened the course. Most courses in Eastern Kentucky probably have Copperheads.

There's not any Rattlesnakes in the area Owsley County where our golf course is located, but there's plenty in the southern part of the county next to the Perry, Breathitt, and Clay borders. I'd be a lot more concerned if there were rattlers around. They scare me more than a copperhead.

Goodness, why? At least you can hear the rattlers coming.

In other words, is a spitting viper poisonous, Toots?
No it is still just venomous.

Venomous animals, bugs, etc. deliver their venom by some apparatus (fangs, stinger, etc) directly into its victim, usually by injecting it through a bite or sting. This difference makes the toxic substance venom, even if the animal occasionally spits or squirts the venom.

Poison on the other hand is a toxic substance that is usually secreted from an organisms external covering be it skin or leaves. Poisons are not injected instead they have to come in contact with skin or be ingested to cause harm.

Obviously, I like to throw out the "there are no poisonous snakes in KY" line to get a reaction. It will really fire up some people, especially some of the old timers (think grumpy old men here) LOL . Some of them will still argue with you long after you explain it.

I guess it is my "teachable moment" issue. :D

Goodness, why? At least you can hear the rattlers coming.
My thoughts exactly. Rattlesnakes avoid confrontation and will warn you if you get too close. Copperheads are sneaky little buggers and I think they are much more aggressive than rattlers. I hate them.

No it is still just venomous.

Venomous animals, bugs, etc. deliver their venom by some apparatus (fangs, stinger, etc) directly into its victim, usually by injecting it through a bite or sting. This difference makes the toxic substance venom, even if the animal occasionally spits or squirts the venom.

Poison on the other hand is a toxic substance that is usually secreted from an organisms external covering be it skin or leaves. Poisons are not injected instead they have to come in contact with skin or be ingested to cause harm.

:thumb: