What kind of snake is this?

halfback20

Black Rat Snake. And as far as I'm concerned, it's the worst kind. A snake that's alive. The only good snake is a dead snake.

So that's not poisonous right? Hopefully nothing to worry about because after I went inside for a minute it was gone.

So that's not poisonous right? Hopefully nothing to worry about because after I went inside for a minute it was gone.

Rat snakes are not bad as long as they stay away from you house. They are good for their name - eating rats and vermin. So the farmers like them. We had one in the bushes and eventually killed it since it was big and had become a nuisance and scaring people and kids. It was a good 4 feet long. But it did have a nest and the young ones came out not long after that. They were grey in color and sunned themselves on the stone on the house. They eventually left, probably working their way the adjacent farm.

They, like most Kentucky snakes, are not poisonous.

hb20, go to the following website to find out all you want to know about snakes in KY.

Kentucky Snake Identification Site

The vast majority of snakes in KY are non-venomous.

In most of the state the only venomous snakes are the Timber Ratter and Copperhead. In certain places you may also find a Western Cottonmouth or Western Pygmy Ratter. And that is it.

Thanks. Im not big on snakes but I guess I should know what's out there.

Should I kill this guy if I see him again? I have two small dogs that play in my back yard and I don't want them to get hurt.

Aside from that I could care less about it.