Who's Had A Hole-in-One?

cooperstown

My closest so far is about 2 ft. from the cup. A couple of weeks back, my friend and I were stuck behind a group of guys who were literally hitting the ball 15 feet at a time all the way down the course. We get to a par 3 and they finally let us go around while they sat and watched. It was about 150 yards. I had been playing TERRIBLE up to that point, but with a small crowd watching I hit the most beautiful shot I've had so far. I cracked up while I hopped on my cart because those guys were going crazy about how awesome of a golfer I was (which is most certainly not the case).

I also had a buddy slam one off the pole. It would have sailed past the green had it not hit the pole. Still didn't land anywhere near the cup, but was cool to see.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I've had one hole in one when I was 17. I was playing with my aunt who had got me into golf. It was a beautiful day. I hit off the tee & thought it was a good hit. It just felt good. When I started looking for my ball around the green(I thought it had rolled off) the pin was located in the far right corner of the green, my aunt went ahead to putt when she got ready to pull the pin there was my ball nestled in the cup.

:dancingpa

I've been about two inches away one time and half a foot-foot away a few other times. The one that ended up being a couple inches away came on a Par 3 that had the tee box elevated on a hill about 80 ft above the green, about 145 to the hole. I used a smooth PW factoring in the drop in elevation. The pin was placed around the middle of the green, but past the pin the green had a steep slope. I flew the ball great off the tee, stayed in the air for what felt like forever. When it landed it landed perfectly at the top of the slope, another foot or two past and it would have probably bounced off the green. The ball hit, and then gradually started to make its way down the slope toward the hole. I didn't think I was going to be as close as It was but one of the guys playing in my group kept saying, still rolling, still rolling, then as he kept saying it I could here more and more excitement in his voice. Once we got down to the hole it was barely off the cup, two inches may be too far of an estimate. None the less, close as I've ever came to hole'n out. Maybe one day.....

I've had one in 28 years of playing the game. There's a little dinky par-3 layout at the Maysville rec park; the holes are about 100 yards each. I aced the 3rd hole several years ago; my name is among many on display in the place where you pay (it can't be called a clubhouse by any stretch of the imagination).

They can't ever take it away from me.

Have never had one but have witnessed a few. Here is a story of the best one. Hole # 13 at Twin Oaks ..it is first of 3 straight holes with the Licking River on the left. The hole plays about 300 yards up a fairly steep hill so you rarely see anyone drive the hole or around the green. My group is on the green putting with the pin out when my partner says " Look at this" I turn around to see a ball hit the cart part which cut through the fairway ( since removed ) about 60 yards short of the green ball takes a huge kick and is headed right of the green. The 2 guys we are playing are using pull carts. The ball hits the rubber wheel of the pull cart and kicks straight right onto the green and roles directly in the hole. If it didn't go in it would have stopped an inch past the hole. Perfect pace. We all looked at each other and took about 10 seconds to figure out what happened. The best part is I make my 10 foot birdie putt and not thinking take the hole in one ball and throw it down the fairway to my buddy who made the hole in one. I seen his mom at the Holy Cross festival and told her the story of the hole in one and she says can you believe some a-hole picked his ball up out of the hole and threw it to him and didn't let him get it. I said yes that was me! We were in such shell shock I forget to leave it and we had to put the pin back in the hole. I was also in a scramble once at Hickory Sticks shotgun start we start on # 17 so we have 4 of the first 5 holes are par 5's. The perfect start to a scramble. We go eagle 3, eagle 3, eagle 3 , birdie 3 , double eagle 2 and we were 9 under through 5 holes. My buddy holed out a 9 iron from 150 yards on # 3 which is a short uphill par # 5. The way the hole is setup you couldn't see it go in. I told him I was 95 % sure it was in as I seen the flag rattle a bit. Good times.

As an addition to the hole in one story on Twin Oaks. The very next hole # 14 at Twin Oaks. We mistakenly hit into a group in front of us. If you know the hole if you are short right of the green you can't be seen from the tee. We were so jacked up we weren't paying attention. Anyway we drive up and immediately start getting yelled out by the group on the green. We apologize profusely but these boys weren't having it and wouldn't let it go so we finally said hey we apologized if you that is good enough to pound salt. Here is where it gets good. My brother in law skulls his approach shot it sails the green and lands right at their feet on # 15's tee box. Well it's on now as they think he did that on purpose. This evolves into my brother in law squaring up with this guy between 14's green and the tee box. I realize that the guy has a knife in his hand behind his back. I tell my brother in law to back away he says he better kill with me it because I'm going to kill him. Truly horrifying. Laura the pro at Twin Oaks happens to be playing # 16 the par 5 on the adjacent fairway and sees the whole thing. She gets everyone calmed down and throws their group of the course. She tells us they live in the scary mobile homes behind Rosedale Park and we are lucky they didn't pull a gun. My heart was racing it happened so fast. The best part after we hit on # 15 I notice the nice gentleman had left his driver on the tee which I promptly deposited into the river for him.

As an addition to the hole in one story on Twin Oaks. The very next hole # 14 at Twin Oaks. We mistakenly hit into a group in front of us. If you know the hole if you are short right of the green you can't be seen from the tee. We were so jacked up we weren't paying attention. Anyway we drive up and immediately start getting yelled out by the group on the green. We apologize profusely but these boys weren't having it and wouldn't let it go so we finally said hey we apologized if you that is good enough to pound salt. Here is where it gets good. My brother in law skulls his approach shot it sails the green and lands right at their feet on # 15's tee box. Well it's on now as they think he did that on purpose. This evolves into my brother in law squaring up with this guy between 14's green and the tee box. I realize that the guy has a knife in his hand behind his back. I tell my brother in law to back away he says he better kill with me it because I'm going to kill him. Truly horrifying. Laura the pro at Twin Oaks happens to be playing # 16 the par 5 on the adjacent fairway and sees the whole thing. She gets everyone calmed down and throws their group of the course. She tells us they live in the scary mobile homes behind Rosedale Park and we are lucky they didn't pull a gun. My heart was racing it happened so fast. The best part after we hit on # 15 I notice the nice gentleman had left his driver on the tee which I promptly deposited into the river for him.

Solid. :thumb:

Awesome. :lol: That's a shame because Twin Oaks could be a nice spot to play.

Never had one but was the witness of one. My dad and I were on the final hole of a Par 3 course when I was maybe 8 years old. I think our picture is still up on the wall. I have been less than 5 feet on a few occasions, but nothing to get excited over. Actually of my "close calls" the best was on a par four hole that dog-legged to the left and I decided to cut the corner and go for the green. I actually did not hit the ball all that well and it landed on top of the hill heading towards the blind green. I assumed I was about 40 yards short of the green by eyeing it. When I rounded the corner I could not locate the ball anywhere around the hill and I looked on down and it was about 7 feet from the cup. I had to have just caught the hill and cart path just right. Pretty sure I ended up 3 putting. :rolleyes:

For most it is all about pure luck. My brother hit one out with a buddy of his after a few beers and was wearing sandals.

Awesome. :lol: That's a shame because Twin Oaks could be a nice spot to play.

I enjoy playing Twin Oaks still. The new Bermuda fairways are great and the ball sits up perfectly. The club house and bar is very nice now. It's extremely difficult to get your own beer on the course there though!!

I have been lucky enough to have two, the first in 1994 at Shady Brook in Paris and the second in 2004 at Flagg Springs in Campbell County. I didn't get too excited over the first one because I didn't see the ball go into the hole. The hole was cut on the back of the green with about two thirds of the pin visible. I could see the ball roll over the crest toward the pin but figured it went off the back. After looking behind the green for a couple of minutes, I looked in the cup and ther it was. The funny thing was that my buddy had put his tee shot in the pond guarding the front of the green. He was rather ticked and as i watched my shot he said, "Will you get off the ..... tee and quit admiring your shot?"

i have also witnessed another hole-in-one. My brother-in-law hit one on number 3 at Pendleton Country Club. We have to watch his shots for him because of his cataracts. We got all excited and yelling when he hit it but he thought we were jiving him-he couldn't see it go into the cup. He didn't believe us until he went and removed the ball from the cup.

Another one of our usual foursome hit one on number11 at hickory Sticks a couple of years ago but I wasn't there that day to see it. I love the game. Hoping for another hole-in-one in 2014. I figure every 10 years wouldn't be bad!