Who's Had A Hole-in-One?

cooperstown

Saw sportfan41's post about his first par and taking up golf.

Play the game long enough and you might snag yourself that elusive and exciting hole-in one. So who's had one, when, and where?

I've played golf fairly regularly since I was 10 and have never had one myself. I once hit the edge of the cup on the fly on #2 at Kenton County Willows Course. Actually took a nice-sized chunk out of the edge of the cup, but the ball nonetheless ended up about an inch or two away from the hole. :irked:

I was in an outing once at Ivy Hills in Cincinnati a few years ago and the guy in my group got an ace. An absolutely god-awful ugly shot - scaulded way down the left side through some thin bushes/trees, ball hits a rock, pops in the air and straight right, lands on the green, smacks hard into the pole and drops in the cup. Literally hideous. But a "1" on the scorecard nonetheless. And, to his credit, I think he shelled out about $250 in the clubhouse afterwards celebrating/apologizing for the shot - which I'm guessing over the past 7-8 years has now morphed into a story about a beautiful high-arcing 7-iron with a slight draw that landed inches from the cup before trickling in the hole.

Edited by cooperstown

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love everything about golf...except playing it. I'm so terrible that I've officially decided that I just plain hate playing golf. That being the case, I've never had a hole-in-one...I do know at least two guys who have had an ace. My question is, do people REALLY hold folks responsible for buying everyone a round in the clubhouse after they get an ace?

I love everything about golf...except playing it. I'm so terrible that I've officially decided that I just plain hate playing golf. That being the case, I've never had a hole-in-one...I do know at least two guys who have had an ace. My question is, do people REALLY hold folks responsible for buying everyone a round in the clubhouse after they get an ace?

The guy in my group was more than thrilled to do so (big money guy, horrible golfer, happened in midst of a fairly large crowd, happy to show off, etc...) Put those elements together, he forked out some cabbage.

The guy in my group was more than thrilled to do so (big money guy, horrible golfer, happened in midst of a fairly large crowd, happy to show off, etc...) Put those elements together, he forked out some cabbage.

I can understand that. I think were I ever to get an ace by some freak of nature...I'd buy everyone in the house a shot of the worst well-whiskey they had on hand. It would seem only appropriate.

I've never had a hole in one. My closest shot was probably between 1-2 inches away.

Posting this thread allows me to ask this question.....My son(12) just recently took up golf. We go to the Par 3 course at Lunken Airport. He asked me if getting a hole in one on the Par 3 course is the same as getting a hole in one on a Par 3(or 4) on a(the) big course? IMO, it's the same. It's still a 100+ yd shot.

What do you think?

I've never had a hole in one. My closest shot was probably between 1-2 inches away.

Posting this thread allows me to ask this question.....My son(12) just recently took up golf. We go to the Par 3 course at Lunken Airport. He asked me if getting a hole in one on the Par 3 course is the same as getting a hole in one on a Par 3(or 4) on a(the) big course? IMO, it's the same. It's still a 100+ yd shot.

What do you think?

I my mind it sure is...not sure why it wouldn't be.

I've never even come close to hitting a hole in one, but I have had a few really nice shots on Closest to the Pin contests, finished second once.

What do you think?

Absolutely the same.

I came within 8 inches during a scramble once with 10K on the line. Haven't come close since.

Im just happy when I golf and the ball doesnt go behind me, happens more than you would think.

I played yesterday and as I was about to drive the ball, a duck flew right in front of my face. I freaked out slightly and hit my tee shot right between my legs somehow. My partner died laughing, until his tee shot went 10 ft. into the pond.

If you all haven't played Griffin Gate in Lexington, it's a beautiful course. I hope to go back again sometime soon. Later tee times during the week (2 PM or later) are half off. Played 18 with a cart for $30. Usually $60 there.