Is St. Patrick's Day important to Catholics?

In a strictly religious sense, March 17 is considered an "optional memorial" and not a major observance: such as a solemnity or feast day. That said, given that Patrick is a saint, his life is one that is worth learning about. He is the patron saint of Ireland, of course, but also engineers and the country of Nigeria.

Prayer of St. Patrick:

“Christ shield me this day: Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me”

In a strictly religious sense, March 17 is considered an "optional memorial" and not a major observance: such as a solemnity or feast day. That said, given that Patrick is a saint, his life is one that is worth learning about. He is the patron saint of Ireland, of course, but also engineers and the country of Nigeria.

Prayer of St. Patrick:

“Christ shield me this day: Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me”

I must admit that I know very little about the history of St. Patrick's Day. Anyone care to share?

Since I am a American Catholic of German heratige, I celebrate St. Boniface's day more that St. Patrick's Day by wearing lederhosen and drinking a good Moselle or Blue Nun . As for St Patricks Day well, What Birdsfan said .