Fayette County Flu Hits Jefferson County?

theguru

I have heard this from two different, good sources so there has to be a lot of truth to it. It's my understanding that the Jefferson County public schools are getting together (informally of course) and boycotting the private schools (Trinity for sure and X to maybe a slightly lesser extent) in all sports possible. Here are some of the things I have been told:

1. If a public school has to play a private school for a district game so be it but don't count on there being any JV or Freshman games between the two schools. I do understand DuPont Manual may not take part in this boycott.

2. I understand this will be affecting all sports and many of the coaches (in the non-football sports) are upset because they are getting told not to schedule/play the private schools. Also, I am told nothing is on paper but a lot of AD's at the public schools are really "leaning" on their coaches to fall in line and do what they are told.

3. My understanding of the reasoning for this boycott is because the public powers to be feel that the private powers to be are getting more than their fair share of good athletes.

I KNOW a lot of you out there have some more detailed information so let's hear it.

My question is what do the public schools hope to accomplish?

I guess it is all perception but it sure has not worked for the Fayette County schools. Lexington Catholic is as strong as ever and nobody else in Lexington is making much noise.

Will this hurt the private schools in Louisville or will it make them stronger?

Is this a part of a larger plan to separate the public and private schools playoffs? If that is the goal both Fayette and Jefferson County are going to be up against the KHSAA in my humble opinion because to do so would tip the cash cow over. Plus, there are not enough private schools in Kentucky to support a league of their own.

Also, what about Male? Are the other public schools going to boycott them too? How about Manual, what if they don't play along, are you going to boycott them too? Do any of you that are behind doing this really think you would have had a chance to beat Male this past year? It would have been the same result.

I will get off my soapbox here and let someone else speak on this topic but IMHO the Jefferson County public schools are making even a bigger mistake than the Fayette County schools. While you guys are out playing each other Trinity is going to be playing the best schools from TN, IN, and OH. What do you think is going to happen when they finally get to you after they have been playing the best of the best and you have been avoiding the best?

Blowout City Baby!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do the public schools hope to accomplish? Not sure, But I agree with Guru on what will happen, the Jefferson Co. public school will fall even farther behind, and their athletes will suffer, they can't beat the best so they have to run and hide.

Did the rest of the world boycott the Olympics, world championships or Pan Am games in basketball because we allowed the elite basketball players of the world play on Team USA? No! And these teams are much better now days because they played the best of the best, learned from them as well. You can't get better avoiding the best teams, and you can't give the argument that they are private schools, you are still avoiding them. Beechwood does not duck Cov.Cath. and they are a much stronger team now, why? because they seen it was a great chance to better the program, and they started playing CCH in the mid '70's when the Tigers did not have the elite program they have now. They even played Lex.Cath. and a few other private schools, why? to play the best to get better!

It makes me laugh that you show these kids on the public school teams that if they can't beat these teams we will avoid them and play weaker teams so we can win. LOL.... What is next? boycott the private schools on the debating teams and such because they are smarter than you? LOL....

All I say IF this happens, if I was the private schools I would show no mercy on these teams come playoff time, and get it through their heads that the public schools are only hurting themselves and made a huge mistake....

If I understand the way Jefferson Co. is now, you can go to any school , make that public school, out of district or in and can play any sports. Look at PRP in baseball, they are a power every year and I don't hear the public schools complaining about them, Male in football and basketball. Guru you are correct, they are shooting themselves in the foot over this and will do nothing but hurt them. Lex. Cath. has proven this. I guess sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees !

Originally posted by skyhawk76

[b Lex. Cath. has proven this. I guess sometimes you can't see the forrest for the trees ! [/b]

could you tell me how lex cath has proven this?

dunbar and lex cath started 1 year apart, dunbar has been to the final 4 twice and was 1 play away from a state championship in double overtime.lex cath has had a good reg season record but has not made the final 4.

and in bb , lafayette and scott cty have both won state championships in the last 4 years ( i think =) )

I am not sure of the exact timing of the Fayette Co. boycott, but Lexington Catholic has grown from an All "A" school to a 3-A football power during the boycott. I have not hear anybody complaining that the public schools getting more than their share of good athletes at LexCath's expense, but I have heard many, many complaints from the public school supporters. If this is what a successful boycott looks like, what would a failure look like?:confused:

A boycott in Louisville will hurt smaller private schools, but being located on the Indiana border means that the effect even on small schools will be muted. There are many Indiana schools nearby that are not constrained by requirements to play district games.

My guess is that Dupont Manual's decision not to join the informal boycott is a reflection of the fact that their focus is providing a good education. IMO, Manual may provide the best high school education available in the state, private or public. The administrators at Manual are to be commended for recognizing that flying a white flag in front of the school will not attract good students or good athletes.

Let me see if I can picture this. Come to Trinity and get a top quality education, learn life skills and values that will serve you your entire life, play the best teams in a multi-state region, play in a new state of the art stadium, play a rivalry game in front of 35,000 fans, work out in a college type training facility with a staff that has worked for a national championship college team, have the best coaching available and compete for the state title every year. Or, go somewhere else and hear that you could compete for the title IF Trinity wasn't getting an unfair share of the good athletes. Yeah, that boycott should work really well.

kyfootbal, I'm talking year end and year out Lex. Cath. is contending for the state title in most sports. To think they can win it every year is unrealistic but to contend every year is pretty good. This is not what the post is about it's about how this will help or hurt the public schools. I still say it hurts because the public schools won't be playing the top competetion. Until this past year it hurt Dunbar in baseball because they would not play Lex. Cath. and they were in the same district which resulted in 2 forfiets each season. The KHSAA solved that problem for Dunbar by switching them out of that district and into the same district as the rest of the Lexington public schools. What did this solve except to now only have 1 public school to be able to go to the regionals! That worked well didn't it! DUH!

Dupont Manual better not take part in this boycott!! This is stupid, if you want to be the best you have to play the best. I have no pull or power other than I am an alumn, but I would highly encourage Manual not to take part in this. We all have lost good players to Trinity and St. X before but so what, there are a whole lot of great atheletes out there that can't afford those schools or just don't want to attend them. Are you telling me Male is doing this?!! I thought the Bulldogs had a pretty good pool of people to draw from every year too, and a record to match the private schools, this is weird, you would think they would have the heart not take their ball and go home just because they lost two championships in a row. :confused: I question the wisdom of this and I am proud that my Alma mater is so far not following the leash on this one.

Most of you are only looking at one sport ...Football. and two schools Trinity and St.X There are more sports and more private schools than this. This is where they will have problems. In Fayette Co the boycott was against one school. This looks like it will include all private schools guilty or not .Its going to get pretty expensive for most to try and compete out of State and out in the state. As far as playing the best, JCPS schools can go out and play the same "good" teams that Trinity and X play. In some sports public schools may be the "best." Will private schools be hurt? Can Saint X Basketball improve without playing JCPS schools? I dont think any school system programs will really be hurt by this. Im sure fans will though and also some friendships.There are some good rivalry games in various sports that may no longer be held. This unofficial boycott will probably include facilities and equipment as well. This we have already seen. I hate to be dragged into this because of something that "may" be going on in other sports. In non revenue sports a lot of us coaches have to work together to get things done in our sport. Most of us are good friends. This is whats bad about something like this. ......one more thing, recruiting always seems to be the big issue brought up. From what i hear there are more things that boil down to some schools not adhering to standard rules.....# of coaches, Sunday practices and compettitions. All of these things are perfectly ok for private schools to do because they dont fall under anybodys jurisdiction. This is where JCPS powers that be have a problem. Hopefully it will be worked out, if not look for seperate Championships in the future.

This is really starting to get to me, the notion that the public schools are not going to play private schools in Jefferson County. WHat the **** is going on here? Can't these people leave well enough alone, no one was complaining when Trinity was getting stomped in Servino's first few years, so why do they care now because they can't win? I want my trophy or I'm going home? Come on people, no team or school is unbeatable. Also what unfair practices are the private schools employing. What rule violations are there here, no accusations but solid evidence. As far as I can tell the only schools that are really expanding are Trinity, X, Assumpion, and SHA. What of DeSales, Holy Cross, Pres, Mercy, KCD, Christian Academy, Walden, and Collegiate? Being accused of "recruiting" is something that irritates me to no end, without any direct feeder schools how do we intend to survive? Of course I am sure that there are a number of people within the JCPS that would like nothing than to see the private schools closed. As far as I know, and anyone closer to Trinity can correct me if I am wrong, Trinity only does "recruiting" visits to other Catholic schools. We don't send groups into Meyzeek or Barret to try and get their Eighth graders, and if kids get convinced through friends that play football then is that really Trinity's doing? The same goes for St.X here, and any other private school. Just because some schools do better in football than others, is that any reason to boycott them? While we're at it 3A should boycott Boyle, 1A Danville and Mayfield, in 4A lets let Trinity, St.X and Male just play each other. ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:argue:

I am a fan of a lot of schools, but I only claim to know a little about a few of them. I cant speak for X and I really shouldnt speak for Trinity but as far as I know, I know of no sunday practices or meets of any sort by Trinity.

And as far as being expensive to travel out of state, that wont be a problem for Trinity and X. They traditionally travel better (more fans) so they get a bigger cut at the gate and are offered more just to come to games away. JCPS can go out and play the "good" schools but in the profit sports this almost never happens (exception of Oak Hill in basektball, which is a private school, every once and awhile). Why is that? Well because they, the best (as opposed to good) teams from other states want to play the best from this state and in the money sport that is Trinity and X (and Male here and there.) (ie. Elder, MBA, Moeller Cincy X, Ben Davis). Why would those teams play the mediocre teams that dont even bring a lot of fans to their games? They wouldnt.

JCPS and LFCPS should take a long hard look at states like TN and how awful their football is down there since they split up the teams. Outside of like Riverdale, all the good teams are in the Private league. Then when all the national attention goes to X, Lex Cath and Trinity, it will make it even worse for the local public schools because the players will do even more to get there to get the national attention. Look at the Super 25 in football and basketball, the best go to the private schools for the most part. If you kick out Trinity and X, then they WILL start to give out athletic scholarships (i imagine) and then why would anyone go to a public school other than Manual???? If you kick out X and T then you really take the handcuffs off and the public schools will be a joke in jefferson co.

I know a lot of people out there think this is arrogance but it isnt, its just a tail of what is to come if you kick out X and T. The only chance for the JCPS to have competitive and decent programs is to continue to fight X and T (on the field) on a regular basis. What happens if someone said to Mike Bush "since weve been kicked out by KHSAA, we gan give you an athletic scholarship. Now you can go to X or T and get the best education as well as play the best sports to get the most media attention get the best coaching for free simply because youre a great player." What do you think will happen? I hate to sound like the Ghost of KY High School Future, but it looks grim if this is the case for JCPS.

Again, this is all JCPS im talking about not other counties.

Originally posted by PepRock01

Just because some schools do better in football than others, is that any reason to boycott them? . ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:argue:

Its not about just football and its not about winning. No JCPS schools are beating Male either. So i dont think anyones hiding from private schools. I know there are some private schools who would like for the larger schools to get on the bandwagon as far as the rules go. As i think about it the group that will be hurt the most are the smaller schools. Im sure the larger schools could care less about a boycott. They have their own agenda and can do without JCPS schools. Its seems, as i said, that fans are one group that will not like this. If youre going to get your trophy at the end of the year do you still need to play a JCPS school? Why are you upset if the JCPS schools are the losers in this? Another thing just because some people dont choose to report things going on it doesnt mean its not happening. Proving some of this and the end result may be more trouble than its worth. Some coaches complain about this stuff but id rather concentrate on my team. It doesnt really matter to me who ends up at another school if they werent coming to mine.

This is hypocracy at it's finest (or worst).

Schools like Male, Ballard and PRP can put a strangle hold on one or more sports and beat all other public school competition and that is just peachy. When are the oh so concerned powers that be in Jefferson County going to start holding those programs hostage by refusing to play them?

All I have to say is if the public schools wanted to really throw gasoline on the fire and provide even more motivation for Trinity and X they just did it. Ask the guys at Easten what it was like playing Trinity after their principal and AD canned the frosh and JV games.

This is not going to be pretty.